Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must Be Because All The Best Prospects Are in the NFL and NBA!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Don't know about anyone else but I find the concept of Heavyweights playing tennis kind of amusing .

i am monfils

monfils is 6'4"

and 180 lbs
    not a HW, but a beast.

talent is talent, man
    this guy can jump and run and is coordinated as hell

if he's durable he would have made a hell of a boxer with proper training.

obviously tennis players are usually well off growing up, and we dont know about his mental makeup, but the talent would be there

he'd bring a hell of a lot with him to the sport

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      i am monfils

monfils is 6'4"

and 180 lbs
      not a HW, but a beast.

talent is talent, man

obviously tennis players are usually well off growing up, and we dont know about his mental makeup, but the talent would be there

Looks like a solid light heavyweight to me, those are caretainly the shoulders of a boxer although he would need to work on his traps.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Seriously look at the athletes that are American heavyweights, are those top class athletes. None of them are~

You can't turn a rusty piece of scrap metal into a diamond, it might make some kind of useful tool but it will never be something of real value. The end result is directly associated with the starting product.

Now would every football player or basketball player a sure thing to make a good boxer, hell no because boxing is a tough sport and the washout rate is insane even amongst the best of prospects, but if better athletes were involved the end results would stand a much better chance of being world class than the garbage out there currently representing the best American heavyweights.

i happen to agree with this post,

but that's not a neccessary ingredient in considering it rhetorically sound

this is rhetoric
        that's an argument
        a sound one.

it doesnt take a leap of faith to draw these conclusions

the basic argument:
        Talent > no talent

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          Looks like a solid light heavyweight to me, those are caretainly the shoulders of a boxer although he would need to work on his traps.

he'd need to box through the entirety of his teens and it would reshape his body completely. his mind too

that's the beauty of being talented and motivated.

Comment

i am monfils

monfils is 6'4"

and 180 lbs
            not a HW, but a beast.

talent is talent, man

obviously tennis players are usually well off growing up, and we dont know about his mental makeup, but the talent would be there.

Right, he's not a Heavyweight still though, the point stands that it's rare 200+ lb men play tennis, the OP tried to debunk the whole ''It's not other countries participating but big American men playing other sports which has led too the decline of American Heavyweights'' excuse thingy or whatever by bringing up tennis of all sports.
            Unless I've got this whole thing wrong ? .

Comment

• Americans could have better heavyweight Boxers but still that could be done with each era, I get that before there was more interest in Boxing but still the Klitschkos are great athletes and great fighters

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Yeah. Are you?
                Am I what? Arguing? Nah, man, this is the same repetitive BS filled with the same mix of ignorant, nationalistic, pseudo-fruity pec-lovers as all the other "American heavies are all in the NFL!" threads. Why would I bother?

But just for the hell of it, answer me this: why aren't we seeing more NFL dropouts flooding the HW scene with their awesome athleticism and iron-willed fighting spirit? Why have we only got Seth Mitchell and Tom Zbikowski? If Sergio, a former soccer player who only started boxing in his late teens, can get to the P4P number 3 slot then surely some NFL reject could clean house, right?

And don't change tack and talk about "potential grassroots talent" or any of that jazz. You've made your argument so stick to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
                  I think that's what's getting lost in translation here.

No one is saying that the Klits aren't handling their business at HW.

They're beating the crap out of everyone available on their plate.

The issue many of us take with it is, that their dominance at this point in time
                  is over THE BEST America has to offer.
                  No they're not. They're taking on the best THE WORLD has to offer. Which I admit, isn't much at the moment.

Comment

give you fat ****ing chambers?
                    arreola
                    thompson?

that's what you want?

you dont know **** about the athletes in the NFL or the NBA
                    or either sport

that's abundantly clear now
                    You talk about fatness as if it's a terminal condition. Arreola is fat because he's a lazy ass, just like Bowe, who unlike Nips actually did have loads of natural talent. Pump as many juiced up muscle bags into the sport as you like and chances are they'll end up the same way unless the boxing landscape drastically changes. The problems are internal, don't you get that?

You think I'm happy with the current HW division? Hell no, I'd love to see an improvement. I'm not, however, going to make up pipe dreams about a bunch of Ali-Tyson clones running about in a field to help me sleep at night.

By the way, what does the above quote have to do with my post? None of the fighters you just mentioned are known for their horrible stamina are they? Shannon Briggs, however, is.
                    Last edited by nomadman; 01-27-2012, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nomadman View Post
                      No they're not. They're taking on the best THE WORLD has to offer. Which I admit, isn't much at the moment.
                      That isn't the debate, it's over the American side. of course the champs are world champs.

And I'll answer your question on the failed pro baller not taking up boxing in general.. it's not glamorous, it's a back room sport for the most part outside of its two major stars. The fault of the internal aspect of the game. And who knows what alternatives in the job market they aspired to pre-pro football/bball if they had to fall back on their college education. Boxing is not really present on these college campuses or anything, I imagine most never even thought about taking it up, not that they wouldn't.

I think boxing historian Bert Sugar mentioned the same thing on a farm system front. The major sports have a great pipeline into the youth, boxing's is almost non-existant here. The greed in boxing and not investing in the future has put U.S. HW boxing on life support. Not that we don't have the guys to reign.

It's going on here with baseball too.

The brothers are choosing pro-football/bball in large numbers over that too.

I'm from the tri-state area in the U.S, it would be a freak thing for a kid to get into boxing over the usual sport, or over a karate or taekwondo school. Like, strange luck would have to take place for these kids to get personally acquainted with boxing.

And I don't get why mentioning the fitness of the athletes in those leagues is so unbelievable to some? I mean have any of you seen these mofos move? I mean .. live?

I've seen offensive linemen at a Giants/Jets pre-season game in warm ups running about as fast as I was and I ran track and played pickup football in HS (I was the fastest kid any one of my classmates personally knew til high school. I ran a high 4's, 40 yard dash untrained). The picture of what a fast man solely looked like was destroyed in my brain when I personally saw a pro football game. These men were 6'3 - 6'7 at over 300lbs moving like I do. And those are considered that sport's positions FAT GUYS. Athletically, yes, there are a sea of Mike Tyson's running around the grid iron. That one moment catching my first warm up to the first game I attended and I just saw 10 super freaks of nature without trying from 2 of 32 NFL teams.

The most annoying part of this discussion is the assumption those of us saying our HW best now play other sports means you could transplant them right into boxing at the highest level with no training at all and do something like take Klits titles. That would be a huge feat, but nobody is saying that.

What we're saying if our elite guys at least experienced some boxing grooming coming up, they're shoe-ins to be some contenders among the litter.. and in no way are the Klit brothers beating America's best. I hang my hat off to them making their best of their HW run and stopping guys left and right and i hope history is nice to them doing what they've done despite the era.
                      Last edited by Haglerwins; 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X