Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big of a chance would you give Marciano against Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big of a chance would you give Marciano against Foreman?

With marciano's style is he tailor made for foreman? but i wouldnt like to count the rock out as he always found a way to win

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
    With marciano's style is he tailor made for foreman? but i wouldnt like to count the rock out as he always found a way to win
    I like Marciano but I think it would be the same as Frazier. "Down goes Marciano. Down goes Marciano."

Comment

actually I think Marciano's strange crouching on the right style would nullify Foreman's uppercuts to a degree. He was a slippery bastard to hit with his stance and short height sometimes. It might be a rare occurance where Foreman's jab and straight right would get the job done more so than his winging power punches, since Marciano was an akward target for hooks/uppercuts to the head and since Foreman had such a big reach advantage.

I think this fight looks a little bit more like Foreman-Chuvalo than Foreman-Frazier, with Marciano being cut up(he was prone to that) and Marciano eventulaly taking too much punishment and the fight being stopped in about 4 or 5 rounds.
      Last edited by Steak; 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I really cannot see it.

Coming in from underneath, you are always going to be behind the eight-ball against someone with a good uppercut, & Foreman had a great one. It's been said Marciano's defense was under-rated, but he definitely expected to be hit & hit quite a bit in every fight. Whoever is going to give up that kind of concession & hope to best Foreman taking the fight to him, good luck.

I wouldn't give Dempsey too much hope against Foreman, but he would plainly have a better shot than Marciano.

Comment

Much respect for Marciano, who had better boxing skills than most fans acknowledge, but I just can't picture him beating Foreman unless maybe George's tank hits Empty. Just not a good style matchup and Foreman's solid chin makes it even tougher.

Comment

ah, one other thing I forgot: Foreman had a lot of raw strength, and everytime Marciano got close Foreman would probably just push him away. He did that a lot.

also I reinterate that I think its unlikely that Foreman often hits Marciano with the right uppercut, since Marciano was almost always crouching over on his right side.

Comment

Not a very big one, to be honest. Rock had a huge heart, but if you built a fighter in a lab to lose to Foreman, he would look a lot like Marciano.

Comment

I would give him a very good chance. I think Rocky could beat George.

Comment

Massive size difference here. Foreman isn't going down from Marciano's punches, so even if Rocky could take Foreman's for a while, he is eventually going down.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Massive size difference here. Foreman isn't going down from Marciano's punches, so even if Rocky could take Foreman's for a while, he is eventually going down.
                    Marciano is a super hard puncher. Dempsey has said that Marciano hits harder than him, as Dempsey had to continuously punish a lot of opponents whereas Marciano would hit guys so hard they wouldn't get back up at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X