Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

View Poll Results: who is the GOAT
Joe Louis 9 40.91%
Muhammad Ali 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2019, 09:13 AM #21
Latin From Manhattan

Quoted: 932 Post(s)
CubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,251.62
Total Points: 27,887.97
victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov Have a beer to celebrate! - dan_cov Le ganamos! - Matty Ice We Finally Here, this is our moment!!! - Cubanborn87 
how Fredie Mercury would say...We are the champions..we are the champion...of the world.. - *ANGRY CUBAN* Voice of reason - P4P poster. ATG, NSB HoF. - damit305 Happy New Year CubanGuyNYC - TBear Thanks bro, Happy New Years! All the best for 2014. - dan_cov Great BoxingScene poster and top guy - a beer for my Cuban brethren! - PainfromUkraine 
true top notch poster - sugarsmosley intelligent poster, here's a sandwich to munch into - jas good lookin' out! - lefthook2daliva For the old drag queen. - Jalisciense909 Sour grapes, drag queen. - Jalisciense909 
Here you go man .. Always thought u represent us very well . I once referred to u as our " diplomatic ambassador " on here.  I think it suits u well !!!!! - Respect Power NSB Book of Wisdom - damit305 Happy Holidays! - MDPopescu No Message - stephenmc Cheers, brother! - anthonydavid11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff Pandas View Post
I think Tyson's downfall wasn't so much any mental issues, but the fact he had to be uncivilized to stay who he was. I've always been of the opinion that when things get too good its hard to stay as into the hitting mfers in the head business. And I think Tyson was rolling in p#ssy & money & nice things & spending too much time enjoying himself & that took the edge off him. And I don't think he ever got it back. I don't think you can get that back once its gone. Even if you were dirt poor & make some money & return to being dirt poor that time when you weren't dirt poor has still ruined you. Or I should say it ruins A LOT of guys. I think Floyd is an example of a guy you could pay $10B a fight in his prime & he'd still stay dedicated to his craft. I think Manny is probably that type of guy. I think Ali was probably that type of guy. Canelo too. Any of these guys with some longevity who were among the best paid guys year in, year out are like that. But a lot of cats catch one too many big paydays & its over. I think Tyson was that guy. I think Joshua might be that guy. I think the first guy who beat Tyson was that type of guy & I suspect the first guy to beat Joshua will be that type of guy too. Idk thats my angle with Tyson's unfulfilled potential doe. I don't buy that Atlas bs where Tyson had 5 fights & lost them all.
Very interesting thoughts. Not sure I ever formed these ideas myself, with regards to Tyson. You’re right, in a savage sport, many — perhaps most — fighters need to feel hungry to stay on top. That goes for nearly every other endeavor in life. Tyson got fat, figuratively speaking, very quickly. He bought into his own aura of invincibility. Once he experienced real adversity, Mike crumbled. Then came the jail time, and he couldn’t recapture the magic. It was a brief but exciting time in heavyweight history.
CubanGuyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-22-2019, 09:18 AM #22
Latin From Manhattan

CubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond repute
victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov Have a beer to celebrate! - dan_cov Le ganamos! - Matty Ice We Finally Here, this is our moment!!! - Cubanborn87 
how Fredie Mercury would say...We are the champions..we are the champion...of the world.. - *ANGRY CUBAN* Voice of reason - P4P poster. ATG, NSB HoF. - damit305 Happy New Year CubanGuyNYC - TBear Thanks bro, Happy New Years! All the best for 2014. - dan_cov Great BoxingScene poster and top guy - a beer for my Cuban brethren! - PainfromUkraine 
true top notch poster - sugarsmosley intelligent poster, here's a sandwich to munch into - jas good lookin' out! - lefthook2daliva For the old drag queen. - Jalisciense909 Sour grapes, drag queen. - Jalisciense909 
Here you go man .. Always thought u represent us very well . I once referred to u as our &quot; diplomatic ambassador &quot; on here.  I think it suits u well !!!!! - Respect Power NSB Book of Wisdom - damit305 Happy Holidays! - MDPopescu No Message - stephenmc Cheers, brother! - anthonydavid11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szef View Post
i get what you mean.

if tyson was 100% on any given night he would probably beat any hw in history. including ali and louis.

but he was not capable of this. mentally.

tyson is boxing's greatest 'what if'.
And that’s probably part of the mythos. It happens with artists and entertainers who die young. It has a way of creating legend. In Tyson’s case, his career died young.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:21 AM #23
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Szef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,270.49
Total Points: 64,383.48
No Message - Scott Weiland TO A FUNNY POSTER - jas lol - -jose- No Message - RwK No Message - RwK 
It's not a donut.It's a co.ck ring.For future escapades.Love Hugh.P.S You'll thank me later. - HughJass Merry Xmas bro. - HughJass thanks for the compliment, i am not hilarious, lol, i think things i say are hilarious because they are true, when somebody tries to argue against the truth, it makes my logic even more hilarious because people tend to get so mad over a fact, it caus - Tha_Greatest Happy New Year bro - HughJass Will bring ye luck - Rocky... 
cake from your 5,000th post party - Mike D Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas - TBear Niech Żyje Polska - -Weltschmerz- 
Merry Christmas - TBear For making stupid comments - Mr McDowell garbage poster - steve j Have a Żywiec... - BoxingFan85 &quot;Location: Ancient Egypt.&quot; Lmaaaaooooooo - P.K Dionysus 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - 1hourRun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
And that’s probably part of the mythos. It happens with artists and entertainers who die young. It has a way of creating legend. In Tyson’s case, his career died young.
well said.

louis or ali?
Szef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:23 AM #24
Ignore List Champion

Quoted: 19876 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,216,760.62
Total Points: 1,242,850.17
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder you are one cool dude - Dean_Razorback 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
Very interesting thoughts. Not sure I ever formed these ideas myself, with regards to Tyson. You’re right, in a savage sport, many — perhaps most — fighters need to feel hungry to stay on top. That goes for nearly every other endeavor in life. Tyson got fat, figuratively speaking, very quickly. He bought into his own aura of invincibility. Once he experienced real adversity, Mike crumbled. Then came the jail time, and he couldn’t recapture the magic. It was a brief but exciting time in heavyweight history.
Man I think the magic was gone well before prison. I think the magic was gone before he lost. I think he was coasting for a fight or two before Buster took him out. I think he coasted most of his career.

But yea the world got too insane for Tyson I think. He was a kid who didn't get booty til he was 18 cuz he was balls deep in boxing. By 21 he's champion of the world. Pretty quickly after that he's postered up everywhere & gots a video game & marrying a popular actress & banging every girl that comes within 5 feet of him & he gots money on top of money even with King robbing him. How can one keep their sanity after all that. Its sorta surreal to think about how the world changed so quickly on him.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM #25
Interim Champion

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Rusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Tromboni has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 28,957.60

Greatest at what?

Losing his finances?

Losing his cognitive ability?

Padding his record with irrelevant fighters?

All I know is that the greatest Heavyweight ever is Tyson Fury. That's indisputable based on the footage.
Rusty Tromboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 AM #26
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Toffee is a splendid one to beholdToffee is a splendid one to beholdToffee is a splendid one to beholdToffee is a splendid one to beholdToffee is a splendid one to beholdToffee is a splendid one to beholdToffee is a splendid one to behold
Total Points: 28,373.43
I must defend Eddie LMAO - "red This is Eddie Hearns cock. You love it you slag. - "red 

Quote:
Man I think the magic was gone well before prison. I think the magic was gone before he lost. I think he was coasting for a fight or two before Buster took him out. I think he coasted most of his career.

But yea the world got too insane for Tyson I think. He was a kid who didn't get booty til he was 18 cuz he was balls deep in boxing. By 21 he's champion of the world. Pretty quickly after that he's postered up everywhere & gots a video game & marrying a popular actress & banging every girl that comes within 5 feet of him & he gots money on top of money even with King robbing him. How can one keep their sanity after all that. Its sorta surreal to think about how the world changed so quickly on him.
And people talk about his 'wild side'. I think, if anything, Mike was a bit too much of a normal guy. That kind of shift in life would break plenty.

If at 21 I was wealthy beyond belief, could **** anything around me, and every bloke was simultaneously scared of me and in awe of me... I reckon I'd be lucky to see my 22nd birthday.

Also puts into perspective just how special the best were. They dealt with it and excelled.
Toffee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:33 AM #27
Latin From Manhattan

Here you go man .. Always thought u represent us very well . I once referred to u as our &quot; diplomatic ambassador &quot; on here.  I think it suits u well !!!!! - Respect Power NSB Book of Wisdom - damit305 Happy Holidays! - MDPopescu No Message - stephenmc Cheers, brother! - anthonydavid11 

Quote:

Just reading your synopsis of his life during that period is surreal. Lol Well encapsulated. Tyson and I are only a few months apart. I remember his time well. Looking back on it, it must’ve been one hell of a ride. No one can seriously fault the guy for imploding. It was just too much, too fast, for a kid from the ‘hood to handle. Who would’ve thought, all these years later, Mike would find a popularity of a different sort?

And, yeah, you’re right. The magic was already fading before Douglas. It was simply that the Douglas fight was the climax, where it all came crashing down.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:34 AM #28
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Szef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond reputeSzef has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,270.49
Total Points: 64,383.48
No Message - Scott Weiland TO A FUNNY POSTER - jas lol - -jose- No Message - RwK No Message - RwK 
It's not a donut.It's a co.ck ring.For future escapades.Love Hugh.P.S You'll thank me later. - HughJass Merry Xmas bro. - HughJass thanks for the compliment, i am not hilarious, lol, i think things i say are hilarious because they are true, when somebody tries to argue against the truth, it makes my logic even more hilarious because people tend to get so mad over a fact, it caus - Tha_Greatest Happy New Year bro - HughJass Will bring ye luck - Rocky... 
cake from your 5,000th post party - Mike D Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas - TBear Niech Żyje Polska - -Weltschmerz- 
Merry Christmas - TBear For making stupid comments - Mr McDowell garbage poster - steve j Have a Żywiec... - BoxingFan85 &quot;Location: Ancient Egypt.&quot; Lmaaaaooooooo - P.K Dionysus 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - 1hourRun 

Excuses....
Szef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:37 AM #29
Ignore List Champion

Quoted: 19876 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,216,760.62
Total Points: 1,242,850.17
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder you are one cool dude - Dean_Razorback 

Quote:
the circumstances are irrelavant here. the end product is.

you are a boxing fan.you know your history. beetwen foreman and tyson, who was toughert? tyson had the aura. forema had the toughness.

come on man. you want to tell me tyson was tougher than foreman? or tougher to beat? come on man, you know the answer. tyson was soft.
Of course the story is relevant. Everything is relevant if we are discussing all this sh^t.

And idk what toughness gots to do with Tyson being the guy with more tools. Foreman had power no doubt, but thats all he had. I mean f#ck man this ain't that complicated. Go watch some young foreman or old foreman fights it don't even matter. Then go watch Tyson's first 30 odd fights. Look at the sh^t Tyson was doing in the ring.

And granted as we've gone on about Tyson did start phoning it in way too young, but Foreman never looked as good as young Tyson did.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:45 AM #30
Latin From Manhattan

Quote:
well said.

louis or ali?
As I said in an earlier post, I think it’s splitting hairs at the highest levels, but I lean towards Louis. Now, I’m not saying Ali would lose in a head-to-head contest, but I slightly favor Louis in a question that figures many variables.

I don’t want to get involved in a debate about it, this sort of thing has been beaten to death around here, but much of my reasoning has to do with general athletic performance at different times in history. Most great modern athletes would be considered “better” than their historical counterparts. But if they were all born on the same day, with access to the same things, be it in 1900 or 2000, who would be considered better? It’s impossible to say. It’s all very subjective.

Share This With Friends

Tags
goat, louis, muhammad

User Tag List