Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr Does 403,000 UK Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/boxi...l1k4w8ccyzpv68

I for one think the illegal streaming impact isn't as relevant as people make it out to be.

I believe an overwhelming majority of people who illegally stream wouldn't buy the fight if there were no illegal streams so its kinda a bs point that something is actually being stolen. Its a crime of opportunity not a crime of passion or need.

And I think most people that buy fights will do so even with illegal streams out there cuz they are buying it for the security & quality of the official way to watch a fight vs some sketchy stream that might get shutdown just when the pizza comes & the main event is starting.

Not to say I don't think it impacts overall numbers, but I don't think they impact numbers as much as some people speculate.

I think its mainly & always has been about interest in a fight. And it just so happens that 3 of the 10 biggest fights (& the top two) in PPV history has happened in the last 6 years.

Floyd (#1 PPV guy of all time) vs Manny (#2 PPV guy of all time)
    Floyd (#1 Boxing PPV guy of all time) vs Conor (#1 Combat Sports PPV guy of all time)
    Floyd (#1 PPV guy of all time) vs Canelo (#1 current PPV guy & #6 of all time)

Its hardly a surprise these fights are all top ten fights when you take into account how much of a fanbase they all have. Casuals don't care about good fights, they care about good matchups & that largely lives & dies on popularity not necessarily just talent. You could throw Floyd vs Will Smith in the ring & its breaking all known PPV records.

So its just quality matchups or things that actually excite fans happening = lotsa f#cking PPV buys.

Whats your theory?
    This is what I posted on the prior page:

I mentioned in my prior post, but PPVs have been breaking records post-streaming era. You would think the opposite but the more access people have to illegal streams, the bigger numbers the PPVs do.

I think one reason for that could be tied to the social media era and the promotion fights get on social media. Damn near everyone is now either on social media or surfing the web, and fights get big promotions off that.
    That along with those that illegally stream were never going to buy it in the first place so they don't hurt as much as promoters make it out to seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksfan View Post
      That can't be true, Warren did say Fury is a bigger PPV star in UK than Joshua.
      It might change now to be fair but I think it’s clear to say Whyte has probably been a bigger Ppv star in the uk recently than fury.

Comment

Did Fury/Wilder really do these numbers in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          You think a million people stayed up all night or got up early to watch & pay $30ish or w/e for a bs fight (that turned out to be not so bs)?

I seriously doubt that.

400k at ~3am is f#cking bananas & probably a record for a awfully timed PPV.
          Great number bearing in mind Ruiz was not a marquee name. Might have been helped an all UK champions league football final in Spain (hr ahead) and finishing an hour before the undercard started which was a good one.

Comment

Don't matter, made $20-25 Million in American and was playing with DAZN money

So that is just extra money for them back in the UK I guess. No profit lost for Hearn I'm sure since DAZN put the money. Only lost taken was by AJ in the ring

Rematch will do great I'm sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post

I can’t remember seeing numbers but I know frank warren refused to allow any media to ask him questions about the numbers in interviews. I would therefore be surprised if they were that high. But if anything doing only marginally more for wilder vs fury compared to joshua vs Ruiz just goes to show the draw that AJ is! As proven by fury Schwarz doing 50k there is a huge gulf (currently) in following

Comment

It's pretty simple. Fight on at an ungodly hour, against a replacement that casuals had never heard of, on the night of the Champions League Final (with two English teams). 400k is a big number in those circumstances.

Comment

what was the time frame in the UK when they fought?

if it was anything past 12 am think about it..... are they really gonna buy a ppv and stay up till like 3 or 4 am?????

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                    what was the time frame in the UK when they fought?

if it was anything past 12 am think about it..... are they really gonna buy a ppv and stay up till like 3 or 4 am?????
                    Main fight was 3am ish

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post

Aj fans right now:

Comment

Working...
                      X