Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2019, 08:16 AM #61
techliam techliam is offline
Caneloweight Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 4,456
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Rep Power: 18
techliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 20,612.40
Bank: 4,020.97
Total Points: 24,633.37
Consistently good poster. - ddangerous cheers m8 - hougigo knows his stuff - jas great poster - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
It's a cultural thing. Some people take pride in the achievement of the group and identify themselves as a unit. Others are more individualistic. I personally don't get the british way of thinking, the way they put their identity into athletes as if they are somehow accomplishing something by watching a person who happens to share a continent. But, that's their thing so that's fine.
I take no credit or pride for anything Mayweather did. I respect it, but it's not like it empowers me. He did it on his own while I watched. I have my own things I accomplish and take pride in. I'm literally the world's best in my specific line of work. I don't need athletes to validate me as a person. I like Calzaghe and the country he's from is irrelevant. Same with Vitali.
Well it’s an interesting theory, based on a crass generalisation.

Obviously, you’re trying to paint the normal British boxing fan into an emotionally based psychological case study, in a really thinly veiled attempt at discrediting British boxing.

Sad really, because most British fans I know are fans of many other nationalities, and unlike a great number of US posters on here, races. I’d say nice try, but it was such a poor attempt, though I’m glad if putting your own psychological perspective of the image you want to convey, on a boxing forum, helps you in some way.

As for the OP, the bias runs both ways. Seems you’re the flip side of the coin. I think Ward beats Calzaghe, Lewis is arguably a top 5 HW of all time, definitely top 10, and yet none of that has any bearing on whether Wilder can beat Joshua, no matter how much you want it to
techliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-25-2019, 08:53 AM #62
Sparked_26 Sparked_26 is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Manchester
Age: 34
Posts: 13,518
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Rep Power: 40
Sparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond reputeSparked_26 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 55,885.78
Bank: 1,342.14
Total Points: 57,227.92
No Message - PrinceNaz88 pushing wigs back with ease - jas Good banter - jas Good banter - jas 
Default

Brits if you want to call them that . England, Scotland, Wales. Have essentially been warring with each other and the rest of the world for millennia. Anglo Saxons, Normans, Celts, Picts, Vikings...

Obviously times changed. But as George Orwell said Football is an extension of war by other means.

Britain’s in general if there is cultural throw back it’s that.

Team sport is a proxy war.

So boxing isn’t really the same. Boxers tap into the football crowd because it’s a big win.

Bit of a hateful thread tbh.

Complaining all the time about how niche the sort is and belittle people that passionate about it
Sparked_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:42 AM #63
PRINCEKOOL PRINCEKOOL is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,214
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Rep Power: 7
PRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond reputePRINCEKOOL has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 27,885.92
Bank: 1,302.57
Total Points: 29,188.49
Default

Patriotism, and boxing is a national past time 'Institutionalize past time'.

With Britain being a island, and seen has the underdogs all the time? I think people in general whenever it comes to anything world wide? They will turn out to support whoever is representing Britain. Casual fans don't really have a whole host of sports to watch to be fair, and NFL, Basketball, Hockey have all trade to integrate into British culture but it has not worked out.
PRINCEKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:46 AM #64
diplo diplo is offline
Contender
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 272
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3
diplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond reputediplo has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 384.27
Bank: 3,535.09
Total Points: 3,919.36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamFighter View Post
crazy to think ward would walk through joe, the man had a good chin at SMW (though it seemed weaker at LHW). The real problem would be getting joe in the ring with ward, joe pulled out of fights serially when Toad-Frank linked him with a good opponent. Did joe fear picking up losses? Reading on him now, its just one after another good opponent replaced by a can, for years, with the occasional exception.

On top of which, Ward would want the fight in oakland, and joe would never agree to that, cardiff was his oakland.
I agree, I think if their eras had crossed paths, ward would beat Calzaghe. Same for Froch. He would beat Calzaghe too. But as a reigning/unified champ who has defended a record number of times, he can dictate where he wants to fight, no? Who else was there at super middleweight for Calzaghe to fight at the time?
diplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM #65
Redd Foxx Redd Foxx is online now
Hittin' the heavy bag.
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21,509
Quoted: 13447 Post(s)
Rep Power: 76
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 1,059,046.39
Bank: 1,348.85
Total Points: 1,060,395.24
Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev 
Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 
No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 
LOL - Tony Trick-Pony Because you're cool - jaded &quot;no more than 3 replies&quot; dumbass ) - Ogecca MaMa since you think negative of others. f*ck yourself with it - Ogecca MaMa Block this you queer. - denium 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techliam View Post
Well it’s an interesting theory, based on a crass generalisation.

Obviously, you’re trying to paint the normal British boxing fan into an emotionally based psychological case study, in a really thinly veiled attempt at discrediting British boxing.

Sad really, because most British fans I know are fans of many other nationalities, and unlike a great number of US posters on here, races. I’d say nice try, but it was such a poor attempt, though I’m glad if putting your own psychological perspective of the image you want to convey, on a boxing forum, helps you in some way.

As for the OP, the bias runs both ways. Seems you’re the flip side of the coin. I think Ward beats Calzaghe, Lewis is arguably a top 5 HW of all time, definitely top 10, and yet none of that has any bearing on whether Wilder can beat Joshua, no matter how much you want it to
Stopped reading after the 2nd sentence made it obvious that you were somehow emotionally rattled by my post and strangely red far more than was actually there. Whatever triggered you, let it go. I have great respect for British boxing as it's produced some of my favorite fighters. That said, the casual British fan is VERY nationalistic in comparison to the average American fan. A lot of Americans just dont get it. You just need to put on your big boy pants and accept that fact. That's why soccer has continually failed to catch on in America despite their many attempts to push it and why the Olympics are declining on popularity. The US just isn't very nationalistic with their sports.
Redd Foxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:42 AM #66
DreamFighter DreamFighter is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,226
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13
DreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond reputeDreamFighter has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 30,797.80
Bank: 1,220.79
Total Points: 32,018.59
have a nice day - Boxing Goat 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplo View Post
I agree, I think if their eras had crossed paths, ward would beat Calzaghe. Same for Froch. He would beat Calzaghe too. But as a reigning/unified champ who has defended a record number of times, he can dictate where he wants to fight, no?
they both can try yes, they are both equally so.

though i admit ward has the greater ability, he will not ever stop joe, not unless they fought at LHW where Wards ability is much better.

Quote:
Who else was there at super middleweight for Calzaghe to fight at the time?
from what I can see, most of the guys he turned down or faked an injury for. Tate, Lucas, Echols amongst others were all orchestrated to be his next opponent and swiftly replaced. The pattern looks deliberate from joe andwarren. Though I would agree most were not SMW. They used names from other divisions to create fake news to gain publicity for joe, then replaced them with cans.

Last edited by DreamFighter; 05-25-2019 at 10:59 AM.
DreamFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:13 PM #67
techliam techliam is offline
Caneloweight Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 4,456
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Rep Power: 18
techliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 20,612.40
Bank: 4,020.97
Total Points: 24,633.37
Consistently good poster. - ddangerous cheers m8 - hougigo knows his stuff - jas great poster - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
Stopped reading after the 2nd sentence made it obvious that you were somehow emotionally rattled by my post and strangely red far more than was actually there. Whatever triggered you, let it go. I have great respect for British boxing as it's produced some of my favorite fighters. That said, the casual British fan is VERY nationalistic in comparison to the average American fan. A lot of Americans just dont get it. You just need to put on your big boy pants and accept that fact. That's why soccer has continually failed to catch on in America despite their many attempts to push it and why the Olympics are declining on popularity. The US just isn't very nationalistic with their sports.
Well hidden amongst the mess of deflective writing there, you finally make a debatable point. I would disagree regarding one culture being more or less nationalistic. I think thereís somewhat of a paradox when you claim Americanís arenít nationalist in sporting preference, yet sports, like Soccer, and events like the Olympics, which arenít US dominated, arenít very popular there. How is it any different to Basketball, US Football etc?
techliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:35 PM #68
Redd Foxx Redd Foxx is online now
Hittin' the heavy bag.
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21,509
Quoted: 13447 Post(s)
Rep Power: 76
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 1,059,046.39
Bank: 1,348.85
Total Points: 1,060,395.24
Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev 
Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 
No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 
LOL - Tony Trick-Pony Because you're cool - jaded &quot;no more than 3 replies&quot; dumbass ) - Ogecca MaMa since you think negative of others. f*ck yourself with it - Ogecca MaMa Block this you queer. - denium 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techliam View Post
Well hidden amongst the mess of deflective writing there, you finally make a debatable point. I would disagree regarding one culture being more or less nationalistic. I think thereís somewhat of a paradox when you claim Americanís arenít nationalist in sporting preference, yet sports, like Soccer, and events like the Olympics, which arenít US dominated, arenít very popular there. How is it any different to Basketball, US Football etc?
Shocking, a brit who prances in his speech to hide a weak argument. Drop the pseudo intellectualism and [email protected] and act like you're on a boxing forum.

First, if you aren't aware that the success of sports teams is largely driven by finance then quit wasting my time.
Second, the UK is proof that a country doesn't need to be successful in a sport for it's people to be passionate about it. Where are you coming up with this idea? I'm guessing you're just grasping at this point.

Fact remains, it's been decades since US fans were motivated by international competition in sport. It's a dull storyline for us. We actually dislike beating up on everyone so nationalism in sorts is a hard sell for US audiences. All boxing fans should know this. Your bad example of it being failure to dominate is disproven by times when the Olympics were popular in the US, despite the US now pulling in more medals than ever. You're just wrong.

I don't check my quoted post list and this thread is getting too old to keep bumping so I probably won't see your reply. Just keep in mind, being offended isn't in and of itself a valid point.
Redd Foxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:36 PM #69
Mexican_Puppet Mexican_Puppet is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,750
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Mexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these partsMexican_Puppet is infamous around these parts
Points: 63,949.40
Bank: 1,245.39
Total Points: 65,194.79
Mexican_Puppet knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Default

They are too nationalist and patriotic
Mexican_Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:53 PM #70
techliam techliam is offline
Caneloweight Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 4,456
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Rep Power: 18
techliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 20,612.40
Bank: 4,020.97
Total Points: 24,633.37
Consistently good poster. - ddangerous cheers m8 - hougigo knows his stuff - jas great poster - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
Shocking, a brit who prances in his speech to hide a weak argument. Drop the pseudo intellectualism and [email protected] and act like you're on a boxing forum.

First, if you aren't aware that the success of sports teams is largely driven by finance then quit wasting my time.
Second, the UK is proof that a country doesn't need to be successful in a sport for it's people to be passionate about it. Where are you coming up with this idea? I'm guessing you're just grasping at this point.

Fact remains, it's been decades since US fans were motivated by international competition in sport. It's a dull storyline for us. We actually dislike beating up on everyone so nationalism in sorts is a hard sell for US audiences. All boxing fans should know this. Your bad example of it being failure to dominate is disproven by times when the Olympics were popular in the US, despite the US now pulling in more medals than ever. You're just wrong.

I don't check my quoted post list and this thread is getting too old to keep bumping so I probably won't see your reply. Just keep in mind, being offended isn't in and of itself a valid point.
The US doesnít indulge in nationalism because Ďwe actually dislike beating up on everyone elseí, alongside your apparent offence that I argued the US doesnít dominate the olympics, highlights my point.

But really man, you seem to be lusting for some sort of gratification. Mentioning how you donít need other athletes to justify yourself to yourself, and the attempt to lecture me in how to Ďactí on a forum because I question your point of view. Seems a bit over sensitive to me, but each to their own
techliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

Tags
brits, fighters, hold, praise?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.