No announcement yet.

How to Neutralize Reach advantage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Neutralize Reach advantage

Hey guys, this is my first post and as such i'm not sure if this in the right section, i hope it is.

Anyways, I train Muay Thai at a gym and my friend trains there too. Weve both been coming for the same amount of time (about 2 months) and spar each other from time to time.

I'm 5'9 and he's almost 6 feet. Though I find myself a better mauy thai practitioner than him (better accuracy, more range of attacks, harder hits, etc) I find i'm having trouble neutralizing his quite sizable reach advantage.

I'm wondering if there are some basic techniques I can use to make the grounds a little more even.

Note* We don't throw knees or elbows in sparring. My tools are pretty much jabs, crosses,hooks, push kicks, power kicks (low- high), and weak switch kicks. He pretty much only throws jabs, crosses, hooks and occasional mid-level right kicks.

Thanks guys

Originally posted by Lkiller View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first post and as such i'm not sure if this in the right section, i hope it is.

Anyways, I train Muay Thai at a gym and my friend trains there too. Weve both been coming for the same amount of time (about 2 months) and spar each other from time to time.

I'm 5'9 and he's almost 6 feet. Though I find myself a better mauy thai practitioner than him (better accuracy, more range of attacks, harder hits, etc) I find i'm having trouble neutralizing his quite sizable reach advantage.

I'm wondering if there are some basic techniques I can use to make the grounds a little more even.

Note* We don't throw knees or elbows in sparring. My tools are pretty much jabs, crosses,hooks, push kicks, power kicks (low- high), and weak switch kicks. He pretty much only throws jabs, crosses, hooks and occasional mid-level right kicks.

Thanks guys

I'd like some tips too pls,
    5'8" and I'm sparring 6' + guys
    Here's what I do:
    I'm southpaw and have fast in out footwork so far what works for me is counter with a quick step in and the work my inside game. I'm trying to do like Tyson and move head while working my way in but he makes it look ALOT easier than it is!

Comment

yeah perhaps more head movement is key for me too. I come in pretty linearly allowing for guys with longer reach to meet my head pretty easily.

Comment

Good faking is another way. Fake, make them throw, slip inside. Do your work, jump back out again.

Comment

Why "jump back out again" stay there and fight. Step around and use combnations also look to situate your opponents in head in a profile. (clear jaw, one eye, clean temple shot)

You can also negate a jab with reach by punching the inside shoulder above the bicep, also land punches under his arm and any part of the arm. Its legal its just not done very much anymore! I have no idea why more fighters don't try to eliminate an opponents strong suit! Punching into the bicep and back of the arm (triceps) is legal if the opponent turns in profile.

defense against a jab;
          avoid by bendig knees and punching straight up the middle (both hands)
          Slip inside (left head movement) and inside hook or right hand over the top which everopening is there.
          Slip outside and jab unser his and return with the right hand to the body then hook the head!

Theres a couple of basic examples, without seeing the fighters posture its impossible to give an accurate evaluation. Ray.

Comment

Thanks guys
            Only lead with kicks and make sure you double up on them, never throw singular, it will make him think a little more and keep him on the back foot when he is jabbing.... just roll and double kick and jab away!!

Quick bursts in and out generally work!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Why "jump back out again" stay there and fight. Step around and use combnations also look to situate your opponents in head in a profile. (clear jaw, one eye, clean temple shot)

Ray.
              good words Ray, that should be written in stone, especially against a guy with a considerable reach advantage.

turn it into an inside war! land your shots and take a side and work some more then take a side etc. you'll have to be in great shape but that's the way........ Rockin'
              Last edited by Rockin'; 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, a lot of technical stuff I still have to work on lol. I didn't realize its such a science.

Comment

the defense against jab said by Ray, is pure gold!
                  i will try it asap

Comment

Thanks guys

You can slip without lowering your head towards his knees uppercuts and high kicks. A simple rotation of the hip moves your head enough to qualify as a slip. Textbook "slippers" move their head only just enough. Worth getting good at for you in Muay Thai!
                    Last edited by AlexKid; 01-05-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X