• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lady Fan View Post
    O'Reilly vs. Richard Dawkins
    Oct 5, 2011

'Factor' host debates atheist over religion, his new book for children

The Deception of Four Horsemen member Richard "Mr. Logic" Dawkins will try to destroy the young, gullible minds of the World. Thy just punishments from Almighty God will eventually befall this Satan minion. JAT

Why is your user title 'Voice of Reason'?

Comment

O'Reilly vs. Richard Dawkins
      Oct 5, 2011
      Ladyfan I know you are either a troll or a religious fanatic, either way it's fine and I don't really care. If you do believe in god as much as you claim you do, that's fine and it's your right.

The problem with people of "faith" is that it's ok to love your god and believe in your religion, there's nothing wrong with that. The vast majority of Christians, Jews, Muslims and other believers are good, hard working people.

The inherit danger in religion (and I have to agree with Dawkins on this one) is that the purpose of most religions (at least the Abrahamic one's) is that it's your JOB to proselytize. You have core beliefs that differ so much from Jews and Muslims for example, that the idea of tolerance isn't even an option.

How can you have peace and love (which you tend to preach so much) if you believe that anyone who doesn't believe like you will burn in an eternal hell? If all religious people have those differences, then there's a conflict there that can't ever be resolved. You can say you love people and are peaceful but then you pick up a holy book that says everyone that isn't like you will burn and is an unbeliever.

See, science is flexible, it doesn't claim to know everything because it doesn't. Religion on the other hand is not flexible, it claims to know all, can't be questioned and anyone who doesn't agree will live in an eternity of pain and suffering.

If religious people were truly tolerant, truly peaceful and truly understanding of others, I wouldn't have an issue with them but the problem is, that religion is inherently intolerant and biased. That is the real problem and when religious people want to stunt the growth of science and knowledge, that's an even worse issue to deal with.
      Last edited by Cuauhtémoc1520; 09-26-2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Ladyfan I know you are either a troll or a religious fanatic, either way it's fine and I don't really care. If you do believe in god as much as you claim you do, that's fine and it's your right.

The problem with people of "faith" is that it's ok to love your god and believe in your religion, there's nothing wrong with that. The vast majority of Christians, Jews, Muslims and other believers are good, hard working people.

The inherit danger in religion (and I have to agree with Dawkins on this one) is that the purpose of most religions (at least the Abrahamic one's) is that it's your JOB to proselytize. You have core beliefs that differ so much from Jews and Muslims for example, that the idea of tolerance isn't even an option.

How can you have peace and love (which you tend to preach so much) if you believe that anyone who doesn't believe like you will burn in an eternal hell? If all religious people have those differences, then there's a conflict there that can't ever be resolved. You can say you love people and are peaceful but then you pick up a holy book that says everyone that isn't like you will burn and is an unbeliever.

See, science is flexible, it doesn't claim to know everything because it doesn't. Religion on the other hand is not flexible, it claims to know all, can't be questioned and anyone who doesn't agree will live in an eternity of pain and suffering.

If religious people were truly tolerant, truly peaceful and truly understanding of others, I wouldn't have an issue with them but the problem is, that religion is inherently intolerant and biased. That is the real problem and when religious people want to stunt the growth of science and knowledge, that's an even worse issue to deal with.
        I agree with this. Fortunately religious indoctrination is manifesting itself in an increasingly less violent way, but we are still seeing plenty of it in the Middle East. Add that to the Catholic church forbidding condoms in Africa and you have a pretty serious problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
          I agree with this. Fortunately religious indoctrination is manifesting itself in an increasingly less violent way, but we are still seeing plenty of it in the Middle East. Add that to the Catholic church forbidding condoms in Africa and you have a pretty serious problem.
          I disagree, I think religious beliefs are coming to a head. More and more we see people "taking sides" the leaders of the Arab nations are painting the U.S in their lands as "crusaders". It didn't help that's the language that Bush used either.

Here in the States, the Christians see Muslims as the enemy for the most part, even painting Obama as one of them to demonize him.

When you have theological belief systems where there is no "bend", it's a serious, serious problem. People easily put their religious belief above the laws of their country, even here in the U.S where it's counter to what democracy is all about.

The fact that there's even a discussion as to whether gays and lesbians should have equal rights in the year 2012, is a prime example of that. Whatever you may believe religiously, it should not play a part in giving fellow Americans equality under the law, yet religion is the prime reason it's even discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I disagree, I think religious beliefs are coming to a head. More and more we see people "taking sides" the leaders of the Arab nations are painting the U.S in their lands as "crusaders". It didn't help that's the language that Bush used either.

Here in the States, the Christians see Muslims as the enemy for the most part, even painting Obama as one of them to demonize him.

When you have theological belief systems where there is no "bend", it's a serious, serious problem. People easily put their religious belief above the laws of their country, even here in the U.S where it's counter to what democracy is all about.

The fact that there's even a discussion as to whether gays and lesbians should have equal rights in the year 2012, is a prime example of that. Whatever you may believe religiously, it should not play a part in giving fellow Americans equality under the law, yet religion is the prime reason it's even discussed.
            You may be right when you say it is coming to a head, but it's not exactly the Spanish Inquisition. Still a major problem that is escalating in certain parts of the world, I agree.

Comment

Comment

Who the **** dug up Ladyfan??? FFS!

Responding to Ladyfans posts is just as bad as praying to zombie Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                  You may be right when you say it is coming to a head, but it's not exactly the Spanish Inquisition. Still a major problem that is escalating in certain parts of the world, I agree.

Comment

Richie, 43,000+ posts? Hahaha...

O'Reilly can be smug himself. Oh well...
                    If he only had a dollar for every post right?

Comment

Lady Fan was one of the worst posters in boxingscene history.

There have been alts that spam mod hate threads with more intelligence.

Comment

Working...
                      X