No announcement yet.

Looking at Wlad's run vs. Wilder's run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
    When he came back after four years and without even taking a tuneup went out and beat the complete dog**** out of Sam Peter and won back his belt....**** man, it was unreal to watch at the time.
    but was sam peter good? i can't really think of anyone good that he beat. a near 40 james toney? a fight that he should have lost the first time. a near 40 maskaev? getting floored by a near 40 mccline? i think people fell for the hype because he floored a wlad who was still in the process of developing his clinching cheater strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by World Champion
      To me, there's no comparison. Wladimir's reign was far more impressive than Deontay's. Deontay had one of the all time great WBC heavyweight reigns, but Wladimir had one of the all time great heavyweight reigns period. Much longer. More defenses. Unified titles. Wladimir all day long.
      he did? who did he beat? there must be a bunch of guys who only held the wbc belt for no more than 1 fight with better wins than him

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
        I don't believe Wilder would've lost to any of the fighters Wlad lost to except Fury of course. And there isn't one fighter who Wlad beat who I think Wilder couldn't. He lost to the same fighter Wlad did, but much more combatively.
        why would you say that.... all your saying is a hypothetical.

Besides Stiverne, the only top 10 fighters Wilder has faced have been Ortiz and Fury, and he struggeled to hell with Ortiz and of course got beat by Fury.

there is a reason this man has avoided the best of his division,

Comment

He dominated the #2 heavyweight to win the title. He knocked out the current #4 heavyweight twice during the reign. He knocked out two different top 10-15 guys in the first round during the reign. He made over $100 million during the reign. He put heavyweight boxing back on the map in the United States. HBO's heavyweight PPVs were literally doing 50-60 thousand buys before Wilder came along. The division was dead.

Wilder just did 1.5 million buys in the last 3 months.

He took a dead division and single handedly brought it back to its former glory by delivering what the American public craves from heavyweights: knockouts. The closest thing since the Mike Tyson heyday.
          but his resume is just not that good man.....

he never fought anyone in the top 10-15 until stiverne and ortiz and fury....

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
            I don't believe Wilder would've lost to any of the fighters Wlad lost to except Fury of course. And there isn't one fighter who Wlad beat who I think Wilder couldn't. He lost to the same fighter Wlad did, but much more combatively.
            He lost way worse ya dimwit

And he was 8 years younger at his absolute prime.

Dumb a$$ statement from a dumba$$

Comment

Not that good compared to who? He has three wins over top 5 opponents. Can Joshua say that? No. Can Fury say that? No. Can Whyte say that? No.

Everyone holds Wilder to a double standard. What American heavyweight has accomplished more than him in the last 20 years?

Someone doesn't have to be the greatest of all time to still be pretty good. If Wilder is the most successful American heavyweight since Tyson and Holyfield in the 1990s, I'd say he's done pretty well for himself. Picking up his first pair of gloves at 20 years old. A junior college basketball player. To go win an Olympic medal, a world title, successfully defend it 10 times, make $100 million. You guys like to act like he sucks just because he's not the best ever. Only one person can be the best ever. He's still much better than most.
              but thats exactly the point.....its lost potential, he could of done what wlad klitschko did...why didn't he try to. It seems like he was contempt with just the WBC belt and nothing more.

its possible he can make an amazing comeback but at 34 his age is getting up there.

Lennox Lewis always fought the best......Wladimir alway fought the best. Wilder, to me is just lost potential of what could of been.

He could of been an ATG, he could of been a legend

Comment

Not that good compared to who? He has three wins over top 5 opponents. Can Joshua say that? No. Can Fury say that? No. Can Whyte say that?
                Firstly I would say wilder has had a good reign, but he has been maneavoured to avoid the top end opponents. Maybe that was him or his management , it is now irrelevant. I suspect the reality is they wanted him to build up more given his lack of amateur experience, and his trainer said so much when he refused to fight klitschko.

Three wins over top5 opponents? Really? Now you can argue rankings because different bodies score them differently but you can only “argue” he has beaten Stiverne and Ortiz who could have been considered top5. Both are debatable whether they actually are top5.

Joshua has beaten klitschko, Ruiz (rematch), Whyte (not top5 at time, but probably in hindsight), Povetkin and Parker who all were considered top5 for sure. Klitschko, Ruiz and Parker were all top3 at the time.

Fury has obviously beaten klitschko and wilder - so two top 3 opponents but then no one else right at top end.

Whyte hasn’t beaten anyone top3 but has beaten quite a few on the top10 sort of zone and certainly given his status has to be given big credit for doing so because many waiting for a shot don’t take on the likes of chisora, Rivas, Parker and sign up to take on Povetkin.

Comment

That's simply not true. He flew overseas to fight Povetkin. In Russia. The only reason he never fought Povetkin is because Povetkin failed multiple drug tests and lost out on two title shots because of it.

He made two VOLUNTARY defenses against King Kong Ortiz. The guy nobody wants to fight. This site was littered with posts saying Wilder would never face Ortiz, would always duck Ortiz, then as soon as he signs to fight him, everyone pretended they never said that.

He agreed to make two VOLUNTARY defenses against Tyson Fury (the second one was made into a mandatory later when Dillian Whyte failed a drug test).

He agreed to go to the UK for 15 million flat, one of the most ridiculous low ball offers in the history of boxing, because he was so desperate to fight Anthony Joshua. Hearn was so shocked that Wilder would actually accept an offer that was only made to try to kill the fight, that Hearn had to scramble to find excuses to still not make the fight.

Your premise simply isn't true. The fact that Wilder reached #1 in Boxrec proves he was beating tougher fighters than almost anyone on the planet. Even now, his reign is only over because he agreed to face the top challenger out there. Joshua's reign was ended by an unranked fighter who was cherry picked as an easy defense. Wilder's reign may have finally ended after 5 years and 10 successful defenses, but at least it ended the way it's supposed to, losing to the guy everyone says is the best.
                  Your deluded.

Povetkin fight was mandatory - never happened.

Joshua claim he would fight as far fetched as best , we all know the negiotiations and how he also turned down $100-120mil.

Ortiz was his first step up, and even he is an unknown level of quantity to many because of his own lack of opponents. In my view he was over hyped - others think he was a “boogeyman” - reality is it was lack of $$$ which is why he wasn’t fighting opponents. He did of course turn down a fight against Joshua so did have an opportunity.

Again - props for taking fury on. There is debate whether he thought he was taking him on at the right time (in hindsight obviously a mistake if he did) - but he still took him on.

He started stepping up last 18 months or so, that doesn’t stop the truth that he has been avoiding top level opponents.

Parker unification - didn’t happen
                  Povetkin fight - didn’t happen
                  Klitschko - “I’m not ready”
                  Whyte - “you can wait until I’m forced to fight”
                  Joshua - “I can make more money”

Don’t get me wrong, I hope he does continue his more recent approach because I do think he came come back - and if he were to fight the likes of Ruiz, Parker and Whyte before he retires we can all agree he has then taken on a good number of decent level opponents and can truly reflect on where he ranks with strong resume backing

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyKasha View Post
                    to be fair, how many top 10 fighters did Wlad beat during his reign... do we criticize Wilder's resume too much?
                    Wow, no we don't criticise wilders resume too much, it stinks. There wasn't really anybody Wlad didn't fighter in his era where as Wilder seems to of managed to face 1 top name only in over 40 fights and he got twatted against that 1 top name.

Luis ortiz is a good win, it proves wilders no fraud but at the same time it's a good but not amazing cuz ortiz has done what exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyKasha View Post
                      why would you say that.... all your saying is a hypothetical.

Besides Stiverne, the only top 10 fighters Wilder has faced have been Ortiz and Fury, and he struggeled to hell with Ortiz and of course got beat by Fury.

there is a reason this man has avoided the best of his division,
                      He fought the best in the division twice. Getting low balled by a protected cash cow is avoidance on their part, not his.

Comparing resumes is highly subjective. Some people give more importance to wins than embarrassing loses, when their favorite fighter is involved, of course. Others get thrown in the coals after one loss. Successful defenses against contenders in a mediocre era or cruisers coming up doesn't make up for losing to Ross Purrity and Lamon Brewster in my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                      X