Is HOFers Beaten A Measure of Legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is HOFers Beaten A Measure of Legacy?

If so, consider the following.

Right now Manny has 5 HOFers beaten: DLH, Mosley, Morales, Barrera, and JMM.

Floyd has 4: DLH, Gatti, JMM, and Mosley.

Looking at Manny's resume, there are currently 6 more fighters on it that are either locks for the Hall or have a decent shot to make it: Oscar Larios, Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto, Timothy Bradley, Jesse Vargas, and Adrien Broner.

For Floyd, there are 11: Genaro Hernandez, Jesus Chavez, Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Zab Judah, Ricky Hatton, Robert Guerrero, Marcos Maidana, Miguel Cotto, Canelo Alvarez, and Manny Pacquiao himself.

Now, it's likely not all of those potentials get in. My guess is Miguel and Ricky get in, which still would have Pac one ahead. I also think Timothy Bradley will make it for Pac. For Floyd, it's pretty much a slam dunk that Canelo and Pac get in, which has us tied at 8.

From there, it's an avalanche for Floyd. Because if Vargas and Broner get in, every other name on Floyd's list has a legit argument to be in.

Some get in anyway. Zab will definitely go. Guerrero is a two weightclass guy, made the p4p list in his career, and held interim belts in TWO OTHER weightclasses. Maidana is a two weightclass guy involved in several FOTY candidates. JLC is considered one of the best lightweights of his era, Diego Corrales has two weightclasses, multiple titles in those divisions and a lineal (for reference, Buddy McGirt got in last year with similar hardware). Hernandez and Chavez also have outside chances. But even without those last two, and allowing that everyone else makes it, Floyd will be ahead 13 to 11.

13 to 11 allowing every potential Pacquiao candidate in while excluding 2 of Mayweather's.

So, how important is HOFers beaten to legacy? And yes, feel free to qualify the quality of the wins...but remember to be objective. You can't talk about how great Pacquiao’s win over DLH was without conceding that Floyd fought him over a year and a half earlier at his natural weight.

Have fun arguing -er- discussing this.

It's a factor, but there are many factors to one's legacy.

Measuring legacies against each other definitely has more factors & it's always some atg p4p fanboy fantasy bs anyway so who really gaf. I like to appreciate a boxers legacy for what it was & how much I enjoyed it over getting into weirdo "who's better" debates about everything all the time.

Comment

Guerrero, Chavez and Vargas. Behave...

Comment

Lots of factors contribute I guess, but bear in mind that the HoF is just what it says on the tin, a shrine to fame, it ain't necessarily always a measure in and of itself of a fighter's quality.

That said I'd just leave all legacy stuff to th historians of the future. Ain't really possible to cast an objective eye over the careers of current or recent boxers, cos our own biases and preferences will always get in the way, even down to the criteria we select.

Gotta wait at least until not only have the fighters in question retired, but so has everyone they ever fought. Then wait another decade... or two maybe... Hell, maybe longer, dudes still can't discuss the Fab 4 without their personal preferences colouring their views.

Just enjoy the fights, man, enjoy the fighters we got right now... most of the comparison stuff is ego or tribally driven anyways.
        Last edited by Citizen Koba; 05-30-2020, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Pat Lawlor has beaten Duran and Benitez. Big deal. It is about when in their career and at what weight. Floyd beating JMM at 147? Whatever..

Comment

It can be, but context is everything with resume.

Beating an ancient, shot HOFer isnt as great as beating a prime top contender, for example.

Plus now we are starting to get a few 'Gatti' types in the hall, discretion is more important than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              It can be, but context is everything with resume.

Beating an ancient, shot HOFer isnt as great as beating a prime top contender, for example.

Plus now we are starting to get a few 'Gatti' types in the hall, discretion is more important than ever.
              This is a factor.

I think Buddy McGirt and Julian Jackson are great guys, but how exceptional were their accomplishments? If they get in, how can you keep a two weight guy like Bradley out?

Comment

Working...
              X