Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matchroom learns from DAZN trip to Kansas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Americans will prefer boxing to depreciate or remain stagnant just because hearn is involved. The hatred for this young man by Americans is out of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by becauseihaveto View Post
      matchroom learned they have no chance in the usa.
      Great conclusion after one show.
      You guys can do anything for the project to fail but provided Eddie is involved, it's not gonna fail.

Comment

Originally posted by becauseihaveto View Post
        matchroom learned they have no chance in the usa.
        No one has any chance booking fights at the Kansas Star. That's where they have washed up hairbands and bingo night.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          i didn't expect Hearn expected it to do well...on the surface of things it's stupid.

Kansas is cowboy country. They like rodeos and beauty pagents. They don't like Yankee Doodles from the north, they don't like foreigners, and they don't care about boxing.

Bare minimal, they could have put a cowboy hat on for the press photos. They didn't do a goddamn thing to sell this fight to the locals and got the response you'd expect throwing a boxing show in the middle of nowhere USA.

I assumed Hearn was saving money on the promotion and did this mostly for the stream, people not in Kansas, but if they actually expected to put asses in seats like this Hearn doesn't understand consumerism in the biggest consumer market on the planet.

When shows are not selling well night of it is easy to contact local travel agencies and have a bus stop at your venue. They do it at universal all the time. That's why when you're watching live shows in America you'll see an odd section of Asians here and there. They didn't come to America for that show. They came for Disney and **** like everyone else and were shown the show is going on and the tickets are cheap.

But he went to ****ing Kansas and who the **** visits Kansas?

No fans, no market, not even unawares travelers being juxtaposed between a walk and a show....who the **** was meant to show up?
          Calm down bro. A fight that sold 4096 out of 4800 tickets didn't do bad for a place like Kansas.

It's just a starting point and breaking new grounds. He will learn the market and the people over time.

Take a chill pill man.

Comment

Originally posted by Laligalaliga View Post
            Americans will prefer boxing to depreciate or remain stagnant just because hearn is involved. The hatred for this young man by Americans is out of this world.
            Not everybody is hoping he fails. I'm hoping he carves out a good niche for himself in the states. I never believed in his takeover be though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
              Not everybody is hoping he fails. I'm hoping he carves out a good niche for himself in the states. I never believed in his takeover be though.
              Maybe we have a handful of fans that want the project to succeed. Funny enough it's for the good of American fans and boxing at large when the project matures.

Comment

I think that its great that Hearn is trying to put fioghts on in different cities like most promoters do here. The only issue is boxing isn't a major sport to most american unless they are Latinos. Latinos are the most hardcore boxing fans in North america and they are the paying audience, this is why most promoters like Arum for example always target Latino boxers and put them on his cards. I think Don King and now Haymon are the only two that i can remember trying to propel african american boxers in that way. Hearn has sign a few african american and he is trying to showcase them in different cities, it would take a lot of hardwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Laligalaliga View Post
                  Maybe we have a handful of fans that want the project to succeed. Funny enough it's for the good of American fans and boxing at large when the project matures.
                  Why do you keep saying for the good of American fans? What happens if he fails? Does that mean some how boxing in America will fail? No, if he fails then DAZN will replace him with someone else or give adjust his budget and go on from there.

Hearn came out and talked a big game and clearly has been humbled. That's fine though, it's still early in the game and he is indeed a fighter. But what I never understood from him is why he tried to cheat his way to the top by stealing PBC fighters, when he should have instead tried to grab all the young fighters without a big promoter. So much talent out there and he ends up signing some average as hell amateurs from NY. To his credit, he has since then signed some solid prospects.

Now that GBP is at DAZN, there is no question his value at least stateside has gone down. If you are a FA or looking to come to DAZN, why pick Matchroom over the proven American promotional company in GBP? So like Hearn keeps telling Charlo if he wants Canelo, then he has to sign with DAZN....Okay, so even if that is true, why would Charlo sign with Matchroom over GBP here? It should be said that DLH has said a fighter doesn't have to sign with GBP or DAZN to get Canelo and he is interested in one fight deals. Basically the complete opposite of what Hearn has been saying.

I'll give Hearn credit though, he is trying hard. He sends out IFL TV to pretty much all their shows, even the lower level ones like the one we saw in Kansas. That right there is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                    I think that its great that Hearn is trying to put fioghts on in different cities like most promoters do here. The only issue is boxing isn't a major sport to most american unless they are Latinos. Latinos are the most hardcore boxing fans in North america and they are the paying audience, this is why most promoters like Arum for example always target Latino boxers and put them on his cards. I think Don King and now Haymon are the only two that i can remember trying to propel african american boxers in that way. Hearn has sign a few african american and he is trying to showcase them in different cities, it would take a lot of hardwork.
                    Putting a no namer in Big Baby in Kansas as the main event was always stupid. What was he expecting to happen there?

You can put on good shows with African Americans that isn't the problem. But you have to put them on at their hometown or close to it. PBC has built a brand in the Barclay's and they always do good numbers there, but you put Spence in Dallas and he is putting 14k+. You put Crawford in Ohama and he is doing 14k+. You put Wilder in NY or Alabama and he is doing good numbers. You put Robert Easter in Toledo and he will do solid numbers. But you can't just put random guys in random cities and expect to do well.

But the fact he is trying these lesser used cities in boxing is great. It may not end up working, but at least he is trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion81 View Post
                      Agreed. I like Eddie, but this is the 2nd time the crowds have been dead while watching the events.

First with the Andrade fight. Now this one.

Give the cash to Oscar and he'll sign all the Mexicans and upcoming talent.

Sell outs in Vegas, MSG, Barclays and Staples center.

Oscar is a great promoter. Its a shame PBC stole all of his fighters, but he's rebuilding.
                      Lets be real, Shaffer was running the show when Oscar had all those fighters fighting under GB. Oscar is lucky to have Canelo, without him his company would be just like Main Events. For all the talk that he knows how to make super stars, he has never made one. He's had some good fighters but hasn't done much for them. Look at Linares, Oscar had him fighting in the UK most of the time cause he couldn't afford to pay him. Oscar is delusional, other than Canelo he fails to properly promote anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                      X