Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Duran have any serious rivals for being the greatest hispanic fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    A good argument could be made for Monzon, though I have Duran ahead of him.

No way is Chavez greater than Duran.
    No it couldn't. Duran is head and shoulders above the lot of em

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
      No it couldn't. Duran is head and shoulders above the lot of em
      Monzon's reign at middleweight is almost as impressive as Duran's at lightweight.

Comment

Monzon's reign at middleweight is almost as impressive as Duran's at lightweight.
        Which kind of proves his point, if anything.

Monzon's reign at MW is almost as impressive as Duran's at Lightweight...

Then Duran has everything else above LW..

It's not close.

Comment

Monzon beat much better competition at MW than Duran did at LW

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Monzon beat much better competition at MW than Duran did at LW
            He also beat a lot of that competition WITH ONE LEG. All 14 of Monzon's defenses were as universal champion. Also even in the book "Hands of Stone" it was admitted that Duran wanted no part of Carlos Ortiz.

People say he skipped the light welterweight, well it was also admitted they wanted no part of Antonio Cervantes or Wilfred Benitez. Buchanan never got a rematch after punch with a lowblow (which medical evidence showed was in fact low).

Comment

Originally posted by CHEECH View Post
              I put chavez up there with duran maybe not above but with, chavez beat among others uncle roger and lockridge at 130 thereby cleaning out that division, then he beat jose luis Ramirez n Rosario to clean out lightweight, then he beat uncle roger again and meldrick taylor to clean the 140 division. compare that with duran who cleaned out 135, then fought leonard for his 147 belt but lost the belt back, beat Davey moore for a belt at 154 but then got flattened by hearns at 154, then beat barkly but again did not beat any other titleholder at 160 so chavez cleaned 3 weight classes, duran cleaned 1. duran got belts at 4 classes, chavez only 3,they'll both kick your ass without a problem but chavez is a mf n imo right there with duran
              Some good points here. Although i do have Duran ahead of Chavez, one must concede that Chavez who had 30 defenses in three weight classes had many more title defenses than Duran (12). Duran never ONCE defended a title above lightweight.

I love Duran more than Monzon and Chavez, but to say he is heads and shoulders above them is plain ignorance.
              Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 06-14-2013, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Did monzon move up and hand one of the best light heavy weight champs of all time his first ever loss? Did he move up again while past prime and beat the heavyweight champ? Monzon was a great middleweight, that doesn't mean he can compare to Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                  your thoughts please. A case can be made for monzon although he only was dominate in one division and chazez sr. Anyone else?
                  While he has no serious rivals for being the greatest, a case can be made for the two interchangeable runners-up of Monzon and Chavez Sr. What leads me to believe that most boxing historians share my opinion is that Duran is ranked way ahead of either man and the first listed hispanic. Duran is also the most popular hispanic fighter on this forum, as the threads with him as topic far outnumber Monzon, Chavez Sr. or any other of the same ethnicity.

Comment

I started this thread stating duran close's Hispanic rivals where monzon and chavez a nd the few people that do not chose duran mention carlos and Julio.
                    They are worthy of being in the conversation. I do not think Duran avoided fighting anyone but his management may have .

Comment

There are a few who actually have Sanchez very close to the top of the list. Some Mexicans as Barrera have said that Sanchez despite dying at the age of 23 proved he was better than Chavez. Juan Laporte who faced both Chavez and Sanchez said that Sanchez was a superior boxer.

If Sanchez had lived another year he may have faced Arguello, depending who won that bout; either guy would have a valid claim in being near the top of that list.

I have seen all the 19 Sanchez bouts that are widely available and i tend to get more impressed with his skills. His chin was something out of this word, proper balance, good counter-punching, he also could assimilate and change styles. Laporte was giving him an early run than Sanchez battered that eye and swept most of the late rounds.

Kid Gavilan was never knocked out in over 140 bouts and although Cerefino Garcia is credited with inventing the bolo punch, it was Gavilan that helped popularized it. THere are great latino fighters who merit honorable mention as Kid CHocolate, Panama AL Brown, Pascual Perez, Ruben Olivares etc. If Marquez beats Bradley later this year he may squeeze to the top 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X