No announcement yet.

WBA has ordered an immediate Khan-Peterson rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBA has ordered an immediate Khan-Peterson rematch

Khan gets his way: The WBA orders an immediate rematch between Khan and Peterson

By Michael Collins: Former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (26-2, 18 KO’s) is probably feeling pretty pleased right about now with the news today that the World Boxing Association has decided to order an immediate rematch between Khan and the current IBFWBA light welterweight champion Lamont Peterson (30-1-1, 15 KO’s).

This comes after Khan was beaten by Peterson on December 10th by a 12 round split decision in a fight where Khan was docked two points for pushing off. Khan and his promoters from Golden Boy filed an expensive appeal after the fight, pointing to the point deductions, which they felt was needless and scoring problems and the presence of the mystery man, Mustafa Ameen, who was seen sitting and talking with WBA supervisor Michael Welsh during the fight. Ameen should not have been permitted to sit with Welsh during the fight, says Golden Boy.

Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, told ****** “I just received a half hour ago, a letter from the WBA on their official decision that they are going to order an immediate rematch. I think that it’s the right decision, and I hope that we can get the rematch done.”

The International Boxing Federation will be meeting next week on January 18th to render a verdict on the Khan appeal.

Khan and Schaefer were looking to have the fight result overturned to a ‘No decision.’ They didn’t get what they wanted on that end, but they did get the main they thing were asking for, which was a rematch.

Was an appeal really needed? Probably not, because Peterson has few options other than the Khan rematch or a longshot chance at a fight with WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao. Peterson was likely to be coming back for a rematch with Khan anyway and the only thing the appeal has accomplished is forcing something that was bound to happen anyway and create a lot of negative feelings towards Khan.

In hindsight, it was probably a really stupid thing to do because it was a waste of money on the appeal and not good for public relations purposes. You couldn’t have come up a worse thing today after a defeat than what Khan and Golden Boy did in complaining, pointing fingers and failing to take responsibility for what actually happened in the ring. Khan came across as a sore loser, unable to accept a defeat and desperate to look for outside reasons to cover up his failings.

The only way Khan won’t get the rematch now is if Bob Arum selects Peterson to fight Pacquiao in June. I doubt that will happen because Peterson isn’t a pay per view attraction and Arum and Pacquiao are interested in making the most money possible.

In neutral territory, Peterson will easily beat Khan in an immediate rematch. Peterson has Khan figured out and unlocked. BTW, I had the fight a draw.

Comment

Let's go Peterson!!!! Teach this idiot some humility and Prescott his ass

Comment

i hope lamont Hatton's this dude, spiralling his career into oblivion

Comment

IBF has a hearing on jan.18th that will be more decisive. if IBF doesn't order a rematch peterson can drop the WBA title and fight a different opponent. if IBF orders it as well he can drop both titles for pacquiao.
          otherwise i think it mostly depends on best fight deal offered. could be khan, bradley, jmm.... i think the offers will be too lucrative for peterson to stick to the belts and try to fight bums.

Comment

Without development of a solid jab, Khan will definitely lose in neutral territory in immediate rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcluser View Post
              Without development of a solid jab, Khan will definitely lose in neutral territory in immediate rematch.
              The jab wasn't really why he lost the first fight. I would say his non-existant inside game was the reason. Peterson can't box with Khan from the centre of the ring, he has to pressure him to have any chance. So if Khan learns how to fight on the inside and stand his ground, i can't see Peterson winning.

Comment

good I wanna see Lamont "Whoop Dat Trick" Again,lol

Comment

Agree with "theKZA"

Khan has alot of work to do for this rematch. He has to get his tactcis spot on because the revenge result he expects wont take care of itself just because it is in neutral terriory. He still has to address the mistakes he made the 1st time.

Its easier said than done because its the way Khan always fights. It may be too late to make a fundamental change like that to his approach because when under pressure his natural instincts take over. He had a lucky escape vs Maidana but didnt correct the mistakes he made. If he had and learnt not to gallop under pressure he may not have lost to Peterson as he would have the answer what to do. As it is if he sticks with Roach Im not any more convinced he will be able to turn it round when Peterson applies the pressure form round 1. Peterson knows how to beat Khan and wont take 2 rounds to adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Leohappy View Post
                    IBF has a hearing on jan.18th that will be more decisive. if IBF doesn't order a rematch peterson can drop the WBA title and fight a different opponent. if IBF orders it as well he can drop both titles for pacquiao.
                    otherwise i think it mostly depends on best fight deal offered. could be khan, bradley, jmm.... i think the offers will be too lucrative for peterson to stick to the belts and try to fight bums.

you think bradley would be more lucrative than khan rematch? i doubt marquez fight would be either. .

pacquiao, most definitely. . . but i doubt pac selects peterson as his opponent. . if he does, i'd be surprised and a little disappointed.

but this is EXCELLENT NEWS! MOST EXCELLENT NEWS! Khan beat Peterson 8 rounds to 4, or 114-111 when point deductions are tallied. .

but the fact that the ref docked points for "pushing off"?! tells you all you need to know about how grimey of a deal khan got in DC. . . The ref CLEARLY wanted Peterson to win. . .

if peterson had any kind of heart, he would rematch khan. khan gave HIM A SHOT. . he "stole" the belts from khan with the help of the ref and judges, and should be more than glad to take a 7 figure payday to give khan a shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X