Youth Pastor Gets at Jay-Z for Dissing Jesus on Empire State of Mind

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Pastor Gets at Jay-Z for Dissing Jesus on Empire State of Mind

"And Jesus Cant save you, life starts when the church ends"

Hes basically sayin life starts when you put Jesus and church behind you, forget about it, and make a living for yourself. From a Christians perspective, that is when life ends.

Kind of reminds me of P on pearly gates....

Now homey if I go to hell and you make it to the pearly gates
    Tell the boss man we got beef
    And tell his only son I'm a see him when I see him
    And when I see him, I'm a beat him like a movie

For leavin us out to dry on stariught poverty
    For not showin me no signs they watchin over me
    Yo! We a new breed in two thousand six
    We don't give a **** about that religious bull****

N!gga show me where the cash at
    The nice whips with the three car garage to fit them ****s
    Man my life is painful, pray to angels
    I'm prayin to myself hopin I ain't got to spank you
    My bullets shank you, and when my guns start cuttin, ain't nobody 'gon save you
    In the bible times, they ain't had to deal with the ****
    We dealin within, these survival times
    I dont listen to pearly gates anymore because of this verse and I think Im gonna boycott empire state of mind as well...what jay-z is in some ways worse then what P said...P was speakin out of ignorance, he doesnt believe in Jesus anyways. Neither does Jay-Z, but his song is a #1 song and Christians are ignoring this line, which is some proof that we live in a society where anything goes, morals have been thrown out the window, and God no longer has any significance amongst most people.

that line, its open to interpretation....I took at as...jesus can't save you himself, you still have to make the right decisions when church ends.

Jay-Z isn't a christian but he believes in God. He even said that himself. Not everybodys a chrisitian. I respect his religious choice.
    Last edited by Truth; 11-26-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

then again though, if were going to pull the chrisitian morality card....should we even be listening to secular rap at all? No. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Truth View Post
        that line, its open to interpretation....I took at as...jesus can't save you himself, you still have to make the right decisions when church ends.

Jay-Z isn't a christian but he believes in God. He even said that himself. Not everybodys a chrisitian. I respect his religious choice.
        Jesus cant save you himself? But isnt that what Jesus is here to do? Thats what any real Christian thats not involved just for the traditions believes. I dont see how that line can be interpreted any other way, and im not sure what you mean...do you mean when church ends on sundays, we still have to make the right decisions?

Im pretty sure hes sayin once someone moves on past the church and forgets about Jesus, thats when life begins. When we take full account for our success and for our failure, or when Jesus has nothing to do with our life.

then again though, if were going to pull the chrisitian morality card....should we even be listening to secular rap at all? No. lol
        I dont see how thats pulling the Christian morality card, theres a difference between listening to violence and listening to lyrics that are directly aimed at Jesus Christ, and that diss him. Im not trying to single out anybody, like i said i dont listen to pearly gates anymore and P is one of my favorites. The guy in that video made alotta good points.

Comment

and when i say things like "people have forgotten morals", i know that doesnt apply to every single person that listens to this song. And i dont mean that every Christians relationship with Jesus should be questioned. Im not a stan of any man except Jesus, so I dont like listening to stuff like this...

There was a time where alot more people were trying to live their life in a Christ like way, or at least a Godly way. Those times are over. Morals have been thrown out the window, anything goes today. My morals might not be as strong as they should be, and my discipline as well...I do listen to some bad rap that doesnt have good messages or any positivity, but when a rapper goes directly at Jesus...thats one thing i cant listen too

big L - danger zone
          Big L - devils son
          Prodigy - Pearly Gates

Comment

Originally posted by Master Ma$on View Post
            Jesus cant save you himself? But isnt that what Jesus is here to do? Thats what any real Christian thats not involved just for the traditions believes. I dont see how that line can be interpreted any other way, and im not sure what you mean...do you mean when church ends on sundays, we still have to make the right decisions?
            I took it as, you still have to do your part when chuch ends to conquer the temptations in life. thats why jay said, dont bite the apple eve. its almost like jays saying NYC can be a very tempting place, watch out! dont do it!! like hes telling a story of what the city can be like.

Comment

even though jay-z is not christian, i dont think he dislikes jesus. he wears a jesus piece, i just think he has his own personal relationship with god. thats actually how jay described it....he said he believes in god, but not so much organized religion. i think jay does have a good heart and i dont believe he worships satan.

Comment

I took it as, you still have to do your part when chuch ends to conquer the temptations in life. thats why jay said, dont bite the apple eve. its almost like jays saying NYC can be a very tempting place, watch out! dont do it!! like hes telling a story of what the city can be like.
                hmm... i would probably agree if it was worded a little differently. But looking at this line, I cant see any way around it

"And Jesus cant save you, Life starts when the church ends"

I dont think the "dont bite the apple eve" line is connected because it was the first line in the previous bar, where as the Jesus cant save you line was the last line in the next bar. I think its connected to everything hes saying about temptation up to the "and jesus cant save you" line.

He might even be calling Jesus and church a temptation, or another thing that holds people back from being successful.

Im not sure though, but I will say that alotta Jay-Z lines can be examined very deeply and it is one of the reasons why hes great. Jay-Z has so many one liners that you can write an essay off of, just analyzing them.

Theres no harsh feelings from me directed at anyone that disagrees with me. None at all, were all brothers and sisters (megstarr) at the end of the day. Its all love (no ****).

Comment

but you see kind of where i'm coming from? thanks. I could be wrong. But I just wanted to drop this in, its jay talking about religion.

"According to Eurweb, Jay-Z, was asked to comment on Lewis' allegations during an interview with New York radio jock Egypt of Power 105.1's morning show: Egypt and Ashy in the Morning.
                  "He should be arrested, seriously," Jay laughed. "My position is not unlike anyone else who ascends to the top of their field. That comes with the game. But that's crazy. That might be the craziest one I've had."

"But do you go to church?" asked Egypt."

"Nah, I"m more spiritual than [having] organized religion. I have a personal relationship with God. ....I believe in karma, I believe in cause and effect...but religion, I have my opinions about religion..."-Jay-Z
                  Last edited by Truth; 11-27-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

ortiz killed the beat... lol at the ending.

Comment

Working...
                    X