No announcement yet.

Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Adrien Broner *would look like Roy vs Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
    How old was Gamboa when he fought ponce? Broner was 20 And yes broner has improved since then
    Why does the age matter? They both fought Ponce around 20 fights. So Broner has room to improve but not Gamboa? Who has beaten the better competition between the two? How can you say Broner has improved? IMO he downgrade his opposition since Ponce. None of those guys he's fought were better than Ponce. He's only step up since Ponce was Escobedo and he cheated his way into that fight by coming overweight. And please don't come with the BS that the fight would end the same way if Broner had made weight, none of us are psychics and know that.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
      Explain.

Gamboa's bigger than Ponce, stronger and faster. Broner is bigger and stronger than Ponce and yet failed to bully Ponce. Or triangle theories don't work in this type of scenario either? Or Broner has improved ever since?

Let me further add to this. Broner has struggled vs Ponce and Quintero (a very green fighter), both fighters who brought the fight to Broner and got him out of his comfort zone. From Ponce on, look at the type of fighters he has fought. Not very Big punchers and people who he was able to bully and back down. Do you think Gamboa will let himself be taken advantage of? Ive been saying this for a while, Team Broner been running from aggressive fighters who will make him get out of that comfort zone and someone who can check that chin. And Gamboa will definitely do that (get him out of his comfort zone) with his speed and footwork.
      1st thing to understand is that I believe PDL beat broner. Now with that out of the way, broner is in fact much bigger than gamboa. i'd pick broner's clear size advantage, power & chin over gamboa's speed advantage, albeit slight. It is important for you to understand that I have no bias here & I like neither fighter.

But the fact is broner is bigger, stronger & I'm under the opinion that his chin is superior. The only advantage gamboa has is speed & not by much either.

Comment

I think Broner wins because he's bigger and longer. I don't think it would resemble Roy Jones jr. and Floyd Mayweather jr. as Gamboa doesn't fight like Roy and he doesn't have the physicality of Roy.

But who knows, maybe Broner is hiding something about his chin that Gamboa could exploit.

Comment

Why does the age matter? They both fought Ponce around 20 fights. So Broner has room to improve but not Gamboa? Who has beaten the better competition between the two? How can you say Broner has improved? IMO he downgrade his opposition since Ponce. None of those guys he's fought were better than Ponce. He's only step up since Ponce was Escobedo and he cheated his way into that fight by coming overweight. And please don't come with the BS that the fight would end the same way if Broner had made weight, none of us are psychics and know that.
          I think Yuri, at 30 yrs old, is much closer to having achieved his ultimate potential than Broner. That's not to say that Gamboa can't get any better at all, just that he's probably almost at his limit. On the other hand, we don't know how much of Adrien's potential has been reached. It's natural to assume that the younger guy will improve significantly, but that's not always so. It's possible that Broner won't get much better...perhaps any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
            1st thing to understand is that I believe PDL beat broner. Now with that out of the way, broner is in fact much bigger than gamboa. i'd pick broner's clear size advantage, power & chin over gamboa's speed advantage, albeit slight. It is important for you to understand that I have no bias here & I like neither fighter.

But the fact is broner is bigger, stronger & I'm under the opinion that his chin is superior. The only advantage gamboa has is speed & not by much either.
            Im not saying that you're bias but I don't agree when people say Broner would beat Gamboa cause of size advantage. Both Ponce and Quintero were smaller guys than Broner (and Gamboa) and easier to counter due to their styles and yet Broner struggle with them cause he was NOT able to bully them like he's used to. With Gamboa's movement I doubt Broner will be able to walk him down against the ropes how he did with Escobedo and them. The dude fights with his feet planted to the canvas. If you give Gamboa the advantage in speed you also have to give him the advantage in footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post

I don't mean to change the thread subject, but I have to agree; I think Ponce edged out Broner in their fight. A draw would've been acceptable, but I really didn't think Adrien deserved the nod. But Broner is the hot fighter, so you know what that means....

Comment

I like Gamboa

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  I think Yuri, at 30 yrs old, is much closer to having achieved his ultimate potential than Broner. That's not to say that Gamboa can't get any better at all, just that he's probably almost at his limit. On the other hand, we don't know how much of Adrien's potential has been reached. It's natural to assume that the younger guy will improve significantly, but that's not always so. It's possible that Broner won't get much better...perhaps any better.
                  Maybe he's reached his peak, just maybe. But both of these guys have the same amount of pro experience.

Let me ask you this, do you think Martinez has improved from 7 years ago when he was 30? I think he has and the point Im trying to make is, that age is not always a factor.

I'd agree with you if you said Rigo already peaked cause IMO all he needs to change/improve is being more aggressive so he can become more fan friendly. But I believe Gamboa can still improve in some areas, like his D. Broner also has room to improved, more than Gamboa, but will he? Who knows. The guy is so focused on trying to be like Floyd and already thinks he can do whatever he wants (like coming overweight and not try to lose the weight) that we won't know.
                  Last edited by .:: JSFD26 ::.; 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I would agree if someone said Broner beats Gamboa cause of his chin or something like that but not size. When you have your tools and you know how to use them then you find a way how to win. Look at Tyson, small ass heavyweight and even when he was a teen (or barely getting out of his teen years) he was destroying bigger dudes, grown ass men.

Broner hasn't faced anyone like Gamboa to say Broner would beat him. And while Gamboa hasn't faced anyone like Broner, he HAS faced the better opposition.

Comment

Im not saying that you're bias but I don't agree when people say Broner would beat Gamboa cause of size advantage. Both Ponce and Quintero were smaller guys than Broner (and Gamboa) and easier to counter due to their styles and yet Broner struggle with them cause he was NOT able to bully them like he's used to. With Gamboa's movement I doubt Broner will be able to walk him down against the ropes how he did with Escobedo and them. The dude fights with his feet planted to the canvas. If you give Gamboa the advantage in speed you also have to give him the advantage in footwork.
                      Gamboa does use his legs more because broner contrary to popular belief is more of a come forward fighter with a half decent shoulder roll defense. I don't think PDL had more to do with beating broner than he himself did. Broner in that fight seemed to me like he was standing in front of PDL trading shots & eating more than necessary thinking he could out bang a man 2 weight classes smaller.

I'm certain if & when broner connects on gamboa's already suspect chin, he'll put a dent in it. Because gamboa's been floored by far lesser punchers, slower too.

Comment

Working...
                      X