No announcement yet.

Freddie Welsh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Welsh

Has any other British fighter fought as fierce competition as Freddie Welsh?

He fought Benny Leonard 3 times, Al Wolgast 3 times, Packie McFarland twice, Jim Driscoll twice, as well as fighting Battling Nelson, Abe Attell, Johnny Dundee, Rocky Kansas, Charley White, Willie Ritchie and Johnny Kilbane.

The only boxer I can think of with a resume comparable is Ted Kid Lewis.

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
    Has any other British fighter fought as fierce competition as Freddie Welsh?

He fought Benny Leonard 3 times, Al Wolgast 3 times, Packie McFarland twice, Jim Driscoll twice, as well as fighting Battling Nelson, Abe Attell, Johnny Dundee, Rocky Kansas, Charley White, Willie Ritchie and Johnny Kilbane.

The only boxer I can think of with a resume comparable is Ted Kid Lewis.
    Yes, maybe, but I can't think of one off the top of my head, and Benny Leonard is worth 3 of most good opponents on a resume, and Benny admits that Welsh was on the slide when he beat Freddie,..... was he really a Welshman ??.... talk about advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      Yes, maybe, but I can't think of one off the top of my head, and Benny Leonard is worth 3 of most good opponents on a resume, and Benny admits that Welsh was on the slide when he beat Freddie,..... was he really a Welshman ??.... talk about advertising.
      Yet still American newspapers of the time still often reffered to him as an English fighter...

Comment

BTW Kid Lewis fought Jack Britton multiple times, as well as Benny Leonard, Maxie Rosenbloom, Georges Carpentier, Mike Gibbons, Willie Ritchie, Charley White and Mike O'Dowd.

Pretty awesome CV.

Gets bonus points for starting off at flyweight and then going on to KO a heavyweight as well.

Comment

Great fighter. One of the greatest defensive fighters of all time and a Top 10 Lightweight.

Real name Freddie Thomas, a Welsh fighter.

Allegedly the ring announcer heard his accent and annouced him as Freddie Welsh and he kept the name from there.

He was a great fighter.

Comment

Working...
          X