No announcement yet.

Assault In The Ring...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault In The Ring...

I just got done watching the HBO Doc. "Assault in the ring" about the Luis Resto-Billy Collins Jr. fight. It was a freakin damn good movie. Very powerful stuff, probably could have been even more powerful if Billy Collins Sr. would have participated. I had seen the pictures of Billy Collins face after the fight before this and have seen some clips of the fight but never really knew their names but knew the one guy had loaded gloves.

I lost a lot of respect for Panama Lewis mostly because I didn't really know about the Pryor-Arguello fight incident or that he had anything to do with this scandal. Just heard his name over and over again on multiple fight broadcasts of him being a pretty damn good trainer. I hate when people who were actually there confront a person and they just continue to deny, deny, deny. Then he's gonna blame a dead man for it. If he knew, why wouldn't he stop it? Thats make him just as guilty. At least he came clean about the Pryor fight mixing water with the asthma medication. Maybe one day he can man up and admitt what he did.

I found a whole new respect for Luis Resto after watching this. You see a man who really went through hell and back, and faced the consequences of actions trying to bring about peace inside him. I respect him because he came out and confessed. Everybody makes mistakes, nobody's perfect, I just can't sit there and hate on the man after knowing all the hell he's been through since then and now that he's finally admitted too it. I don't think he should ever get a license to train but I still think this doc. did a lot of good for him.

Maybe one day Antonio Margarito's biitch ass will grow some balls and be able to come out and admitt to the world what he did wrong and how he cheated Cotto out of the rest of his career. Maybe then can I forgive him but he got his license back and gets to go on like nothing ever happened that stupid little biitch. While Resto had his whole life flushed down the toilet.

After seeing this, has the boxing world finally forgiven Luis Resto?

I remember the Resto-Collins Jr. fight and I still feel Lewis should not be allowed to work a corner in a professional prize fight.

He is and has been allowed to train fighters in the gym that I have no problem with. I am all for forgiving but Lewis was well known to do whatever he had to to give his fighter an advantage in spite of the rules or the opponents health.

I do feel for Resto after seeing that documentary, but not as much as I did for the family of Collins Jr. and for the fighter himself.

Comment

I hate both Lewis and Pryor. Lewis is a crook and Pryor is a cocky jerk. Was and is. I can't deny he was a great fighter at his best, but he wasn't as great as he himself thinks. Just cause he beat Arguello, who wasn't fighting at his best weight and who was at the tail end of his prime. His prime ended there, thanks to Lewis's Black Bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        I remember the Resto-Collins Jr. fight and I still feel Lewis should not be allowed to work a corner in a professional prize fight.

He is and has been allowed to train fighters in the gym that I have no problem with. I am all for forgiving but Lewis was well known to do whatever he had to to give his fighter an advantage in spite of the rules or the opponents health.

I do feel for Resto after seeing that documentary, but not as much as I did for the family of Collins Jr. and for the fighter himself.
        Honestly that's where all of my compassion was directed. It was hard watching the replays of Resto hitting Collins now knowing what the situation was. Resto coming clean is a bit too late for me. He lied for years about it. It's like Pete Rose admitting to something years later that everybody already knew.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post

I agree. What a ****in' scumbag. He should be forced into the ring with a fight who's drunk up his "special drank" and has loaded gloves for a full 15 rounds from somebody like James Kirkland. If he survives then maybe he can corner fights again.

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          Honestly that's where all of my compassion was directed. It was hard watching the replays of Resto hitting Collins now knowing what the situation was. Resto coming clean is a bit too late for me. He lied for years about it. It's like Pete Rose admitting to something years later that everybody already knew.
          Betting on baseball I feel is hardly a crime I don't know all the facts but it's kinda hard to throw a game unless the pitcher or the team hitting is in on it too. I don't know if he was betting for or against his team.

But nevertheless he didn't go through all the hell Resto did. So what he won't get into the hall of game, he wasn't living on the streets or served any jail time for betting on the games. Resto's gone through hell and back, everybody's made mismakes and he's suffered the consequences of his actions.

Like the movie said, I feel like everybody deserves a second chance especially if they've taken severe consequences for their action. It was a bad thing but ultimately you can't blame him for Collins jr's death. He did lead him down that path, but he didn't tell him to get drunk and crash his car and committ suicide. Boxing is not the only job in the world, and their's even an argument out there that he could have fought again but didn't because his dad was in those lawsuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
            I agree. What a ****in' scumbag. He should be forced into the ring with a fight who's drunk up his "special drank" and has loaded gloves for a full 15 rounds from somebody like James Kirkland. If he survives then maybe he can corner fights again.

Betting on baseball I feel is hardly a crime I don't know all the facts but it's kinda hard to throw a game unless the pitcher or the team hitting is in on it too. I don't know if he was betting for or against his team.

But nevertheless he didn't go through all the hell Resto did. So what he won't get into the hall of game, he wasn't living on the streets or served any jail time for betting on the games. Resto's gone through hell and back, everybody's made mismakes and he's suffered the consequences of his actions.

Like the movie said, I feel like everybody deserves a second chance especially if they've taken severe consequences for their action. It was a bad thing but ultimately you can't blame him for Collins jr's death. He did lead him down that path, but he didn't tell him to get drunk and crash his car and committ suicide. Boxing is not the only job in the world, and their's even an argument out there that he could have fought again but didn't because his dad was in those lawsuits.
            I seriously doubt that. His vision was permanently impaired. If Collins could have fought again he would have.

As far as second chances, he's gotten a second chance. He's still here. But to think people are going to forget about what he did is unrealistic.

And I don't blame him for Collins death. But Resto is not the victim in this.
            Last edited by joseph5620; 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X