No announcement yet.

A return to the original weight class system

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A return to the original weight class system

With the current "in-between" weights (130, 154, etc.) used as the only allowable catchweights.

A boxer must fight all matches at a legit weight class, and can only use a catchweight if he is fighting a boxer from the weight class above or below.

In addition, titles can never be on the line in a catchweight fight. Ever.

No one fighter is above the system, regardless of their fame or profitability.

Period.

Just an idea I had a while back, but I think this would solve a lot of problems in boxing. Less champions, and no weight issues to hash out during negotiations.

Would you approve of this type of weight class system?
    Yes
    85.00%
    No
    15.00%
    Undecided
    0.00%

Yes but good luck with implementing that.

Comment

Candela disagrees

Comment

Originally posted by Contra View Post
        With the current "in-between" weights (130, 154, etc.) used as the only allowable catchweights.

A boxer must fight all matches at a legit weight class, and can only use a catchweight if he is fighting a boxer from the weight class above or below.

Period.

Just an idea I had a while back, but I think this would solve a lot of problems in boxing. Less champions, and no weight issues to hash out during negotiations.

I'm in total support of this system.

For one thing, you have to look at the smaller weights- 105, 108, 112, 115, 118, 122, 126, 130. That is EIGHT divisions separated by TWENTY-FIVE pounds. Now, THAT is ridiculous and there's no other way to put it- corrupt. The only reason for having so many classes so close together is not for fighter safety in the least. It is about more titles and more money. The other divisions are a bit more understandable and cruiserweight could stay and make it nine. I'm okay with that, but the others should go for sure.

Another thing is to look at the possible tournaments that could follow. The 105, 108 and 112 pound champions could all face off along with the 115 and 118 pound champions, the 122 and 126 pound champions, the 130 and 135, the 140 and 147, the 154 and the 160 and the 168 and 175. Seven tournaments all with guys who had enough talent to win a belt at least. That could be very interesting.

A third thing is for legacy. The middleweights of yore like Robinson, LaMotta and Graziano can't be compared to fighters who spent their careers at 154. I mean, of course, they can but it's more difficult because those guys never fought at 160. So who can say? The more we get back to all the world rules is better IMO. I am nostalgic, but I also think most modern changes over the last fifty years gave us more problems than solutions to problems that were fabricated only for seedy reasons.

This is a money sport and money drives it. However, how can it make money if there's no respect for it any longer? The other sports crown one champion per year- just one. UFC has its weight classes set and they're not changing. That is good for the sport. it avoids confusion and helps casual fans become hardcore fans. If these changes did take place, there would be different views on whether or not the modern changes should have been done away with. However, I doubt the majority would have been in favor of so many titles and so many weight divisions. It would be laughed at by future eras of fans.

Comment

Now what weight would the current fighters be fighting at who are not in the original divisions? thoughts?

Comment

Period.

I would not approve of it the way you have stated things. Why allow catchweights between fighters in different divisions but then not allow titles to be defended or won?

If that had been the case, we wouldn't have seen multiple weight champions such as Armstrong and Leonard.

Comment

Why even give a f#ck about catchweights at the less than title level in the first place? If two guys wanna fight each other at 143lbs who cares? Why care? I don't for the life of me understand this. Plus this stuff happens ALL THE TIME, pretty much on every card you can find some catchweight fight. I don't think people understand how common, accepted & part of the game this is. Who the f#ck cares if you fight at 143 for a 3rd late replacement 5-17-2 record guy as a prospect? Silliness.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Why even give a f#ck about catchweights at the less than title level in the first place? If two guys wanna fight each other at 143lbs who cares? Why care? I don't for the life of me understand this. Plus this stuff happens ALL THE TIME, pretty much on every card you can find some catchweight fight. I don't think people understand how common, accepted & part of the game this is. Who the f#ck cares if you fight at 143 for a 3rd late replacement 5-17-2 record guy as a prospect? Silliness.

The idea that catchweights are okay because they're commonplace isn't a valid argument.

What is isn't necessarily what ought to be. Hume's law and whatnot.

It might seem fine for a couple of prospects to agree on weight, usually because there is no money involved and no one really gives a shít. Also, in a lot of these type of fights, it's a rising prospect with a big promoter fighting a journeyman, with the latter having to agree to whatever catchweight if he wants to get paid.

But think about how much bullshít have boxing fans been forced to sit through because of weight nonsense. How many arguments continue to this day that a fighter only won or lost due to the catchweight?

If you implement a system like this, it couldn't just be for championship-level fights. It would have to be enforced across the board. No exceptions.
                Last edited by Contra; 05-30-2016, 07:33 AM.

Comment

The idea that catchweights are okay because they're commonplace isn't a valid argument.
                  Of course it is. It hasn't been a problem, so why is it a problem now? Because of Caneloweight? Like it or not boxing is a circus. There are a million problems in boxing cuz everyone can make their own rules to one degree or another. Weight is just one of them. If you want hard rules on weight, why not hard rules for everything? One hard rule on weigh in times. On rehydration. On the gloves to be used. On the ring size. You need to streamline everything. You need a NFL of boxing which isn't close to being a reality.

Its silly so many people are freaked out that two guys wanna fight each other at 143lbs, but somehow fighting in a giant or tiny ring or with punchers gloves or a giant catchers mitt is cool.

Also, in a lot of these type of fights, it's a rising prospect with a big promoter fighting a journeyman, with the latter having to agree to whatever catchweight if he wants to get paid.
                  No its not. Its mostly random fights on club shows or wherever between two guys who don't wanna lose those last 3 lbs to get down or can't make or don't wanna make the weight they wanna ultimately compete in for some bs club fight thats paying them $500-$2,000 or whatever. They are bs random fights between guys you don't know & likely will never hear of. Go on boxrec & look at a few random full cards. You find these fights there all the time & you'll find them thru every era that they have weight statistics on.

But think about how much bullshít have boxing fans been forced to sit through because of weight nonsense. How many arguments continue to this day that a fighter only won or lost due the catchweight.
                  So cuz boxing fans are f#cking morons fighters got to decide on fighting at 140 or 147 instead of having some fights at 143? And trust me 99% of catchweight fights aren't even fights people are mentioning let along arguing about. All you are doing is likely risking injuries or mismatches. In particular in the bigger divisions by making this a thing. For an easy example you'd be forcing a 185ish guy to try to lose more weight than its probably healthy to do or you are forcing him to fight 200lb guys who got a 15lb weight advantage over him. All cuz boxing fans are making silly arguments about catchweights. LOL.

Come on man. You must be new cuz you should know by now boxing fans will make silly arguments about anything anyway. Catchweights, type gloves, ring size, bouncy castle rings if Wladimir would have been able to get Fury to fight in his, prime (prime arguments are great for trolls cuz they are open as wide or as small as you can argue well that they are, like to hear some people talk about it Floyd's prime was his whole career cuz he didn't lose, like your body stays the same as long as you are racking up W's) & all sorts of other ****.

Comment

i think there needs to be a complete overhaul of divisions, reduce it back down to 10-12. maybe use the AIBA or even UFC weight classes as a model

and a fighter's weight on the night shouldn't exceed the upper limit of the division above him, with the punishment of losing his titles if he has any and being fined (so e.g. a middleweight couldn't weigh more than 168 lbs in the ring)

i think this rehydration rule would render the divisions below 120ish redundant. maybe 115 at a stretch. i don't believe there are many world class fighters who actually weigh <115 in the ring, at least not enough of them to justify whole divisions existing especially for them

in fact, according to boxrec there are only ~2,000 active fighters who weigh between 115 and 105, which actually encompasses four whole divisions. if they were combined into one, then it would be equal in depth to welterweight or lightweight

oh, and just ban catchweight title fights altogether

of course this is a total fantasy. don't know why i even bother to dream of a boxing that makes sense

Comment

Working...
                    X