• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PED User View Post
    James Toney's speech in 1994:

James Toney's speech in 2010:

I hope the guy retires soon.
    thats kinda what i meant. has nothing to do with gaining weight, its the way how he talks. he doesnt open his mouth anymore, his teeth always kinda stick together for the most part. ali did that in his mid 30s and it turns out he had parkinson. mike tyson does that now and i wouldnt be surprised if hes got parkinson

Comment

I've never sparred with headgear.

My trainer was so old school, first boxing session I had he threw me in there with no headg guard or gum sheild against some awesome black dude who kicked my ass.

Comment

James has never been the most eloquent speaker.

Comment

I would be happy if James Toney did not fight again but I'm sure he's fine.
          I talked with him in the end 2009 and he sounded good so I'm sure he's fine but he is to the point age wise where retirement is a good idea.

Comment

For such a great defensive fighter toney for sure has some brain damage its only gonna get worse in his 50's.

Ima go watch rjj vs toney now lol that was a great scrap

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
              I think it has as much to do with weight gain as anything else. He kind of has a wheeze.
              Originally posted by TBear View Post
              I would be happy if James Toney did not fight again but I'm sure he's fine.
              I talked with him in the end 2009 and he sounded good so I'm sure he's fine but he is to the point age wise where retirement is a good idea.
              he has over 70 pro fights, 30 amateur fights, so over 100 fights and lots of sparring. i thought his speech didn't sound bad until he moved up to heavyweight, after the 2nd fight with sam peter he definitely got some brain damage

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                Yes, sparring can protect you from cuts and grazes but you still can unfortunately get concussion and in some cases I heard can be much worse then without the gear then with it on.
                The thing that makes the damage worse when wearing a head gear is the sustained damage you can take with them on. You can take a shot that would normally put you down on the chin.

Comment

Working...
                X