Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skillwise, is Mikey Garcia better than Juan Manuel Marquez ever was?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No doubt. There isn't a fighter not named Mayweather on Marquez resume that Mikey wouldn't beat.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
      Only time ive seen him really outboxed was with Floyd..Garcia has never fought on Jmm's level
      Ofcourse, All those other loses were just robberies I forgot. We only see the really obvious stuff, if it's not a shut out a guy arguably didnt win.
      Last edited by SplitSecond; 08-03-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I just don't see it. First, Mikey fought a very poor fight because he was forced to be the aggressor due to reach disparity. He looked like crap IMO.

And in general, JMM was a much more fluid, skilled and quicker fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
          Stfu man, wtf do you know. Marquez has been outboxed numerous times and his only chance would be a punchers chance vs Garcia because he'd be getting outboxed there too.
          Quite a bit. I followed his career and saw him live a dozen or so times. Also been in his training camp and saw him work from the ring apron.

Mayweather was the only one who outboxed him. When he fought Bradley he was 40 and way above his better weights.

Marquez sometimes had problems with movement (Wheeler is a guy who gave him problems in an earlier fight) because he was often very patient and is a natural counter puncher. Even the John and Norwood robberies wasn’t so much a case of being outboxed in spells it was the movement and defensive style that made those fairly close.

Get your head out your ass and judging by your portrayal of Marquez as basically just a blood and guts fighter Id say wtf do you know?

Mikey is too stationary and slow on his feet not to mention predictable. He’d feed into Marquez. It’s a great opponent for him.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            Your saying Mikey is better technically than Marquez? Not at all. Marquez was one of the most technical fighters of the last 30-40 years.

Marquez had to go through so much just to get a title fight. Watch his fights from before he fought Pacquaio the first time. I remember being like the only JMM fan online in the late 90s/early 00s.
            This is what first came to mind. For a JMM fan at that time, just to get to the HBO televised fight against Norwood was a feat. JMM had to be great - he had to fight out of the shadows of others, and overcome his own career mismanagement just to break even and get a start on his 2nd half of his career.

OP point about footwork is taken though. JMM always had a wide stance and that can sometimes bring limitations in movement- but his balance was always great regardless.

I also think Mikey is better at creating own offense, whereas JMM was more of a counterpuncher and, sometimes, found himself waiting too much. Anyway, JMM all day

Comment

Comparing Mikey Garcia's level of skill to JMM's is like comparing G-Eazy's skills to Eminem's skills. It's a very bad joke. Garcia isn't in the same galaxy as Marquez in terms of skill. Is Garcia faster on his feet? Yes, but so is 80% of everyone in boxing compared to Marquez. That's meaningless.

Watch this video:

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                Quite a bit. I followed his career and saw him live a dozen or so times. Also been in his training camp and saw him work from the ring apron.

Mayweather was the only one who outboxed him. When he fought Bradley he was 40 and way above his better weights.

Marquez sometimes had problems with movement (Wheeler is a guy who gave him problems in an earlier fight) because he was often very patient and is a natural counter puncher. Even the John and Norwood robberies wasn’t so much a case of being outboxed in spells it was the movement and defensive style that made those fairly close.

Get your head out your ass and judging by your portrayal of Marquez as basically just a blood and guts fighter Id say wtf do you know?

Mikey is too stationary and slow on his feet not to mention predictable. He’d feed into Marquez. It’s a great opponent for him.
                And even that didn't happen. Floyd outmaneuvered him.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Juan was really talented but a bit overrated by the fans. Mikey has not only incredible talent, but is really gifted in terms of boxing instinct. He measures distances like few I've ever seen.
                  Against who?

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                    Time will tell but I think JMM had a more varied offensive arsenal.
                    lol you think?

We're talking about one of the most "varied" offensive attackers in the history of boxing in Marquez versus one of the more basic offensive attackers seen in recent years in Mikey. The collective IQ of the conversation of this thread is about 46.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                      Against who?
                      While I agree Marquez is a bit overrated, the way he acts like Mikey is not is hilarious. When and how did Garcia become this all time legend, and against who?

Comment

Working...
                      X