No announcement yet.

Tommy Hearns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Hearns

In his early days the dude was a skeleton. Say he started his career at say 160, do you think he would of been better off as opposed to killing himself to make 147?
    Last edited by tjmoney; 03-22-2006, 02:29 PM.

He was a lanky guy, he was naturally light for his height. In boxing, that is very helpful in certain situations (your reach is longer, you don't have to punch downwards, etc).

Comment

naturally skinny

I think Hearns was naturally skinny. I was always amazed at how such a tall guy with broad shoulders could fight as a welterweight but he had very skinny legs and was basically small-boned. If he would have started at 160 lbs. he would still have won almost all his early fights. I remember watching some of his earlier fights against shorter guys who simply could never get inside. They just ate jabs, hooks and straight right hands the whole fight and their face looked like hamburger when it was over. I think I saw his fight with Harold Weston in 1979. It's been a long time so I can't remember the details, but that was probably the one in which he never got inside.

Comment

As i've said before, it's an advantage to be tall as long as you've got power like Hearns did.

Comment

He was his best at 147lbs.
          If Leonard wasn't fighting in the same era he'd probably be unstopable.

Comment

Working...
          X