No announcement yet.

Boxing is a horrible cruel sport that reminds me of Roman entertainment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by itsafight View Post
    A lot of them weren't slaves but were broke a fack like todays boxers. Most boxers are broke as fack too apart from the elite ones.
    Then they should do something else if they don't like it or want to do it. No one is forcing them to box.

You certainly can't blame the crowd for their continued participation if no one is actually showing up and paying to watch them.

Comment

At the highest level it's beautiful. i actually watched ward/gatti's trilogy the other day and shed a tear. its an amazing sight

Comment

Nobody forces them to fight and nobody makes them keep fighting past their prime. The best fighters make some damn good money and even pretty good fighters can make good money. The biggest problem I see is most fighers can't hang on to their money and invest it for the future so they can retire.Toney, Tyson, Holyfield, Hearns and so many more have made huge amounts of money. More money than most of us could ever dream of. But they still end up broke because they spend it all as soon as they get it on things they don't need. Why is Mosley still fighting? He has made enoug money to retire even with the divorce. Why is Hopkins still fighting at 48? He is a very rich man as far as I know. Why risk brain damage? Fighters need to take care of themselves and plan for their future and some of them do.They are grown men but some of them act like stupid kids and there is nothing anybody can do about it. I love boxing and wish all boxers would take care of themselves and their future. If a boxer is not good enough to make decent money they should try to find another way to make a living.

Comment

Everyone has their opinion though thanks with the advancement of Scientific Sport Medicine,fighters also taking six to one year break before fights to ease the pain it is less likely that someone will be killed in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
            Floydius Ducksimus
            Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Biggus Dickus.
            Pussyus Maximus

Comment

Reminds me of the movie 'Gladiator' where the slaves fought to please the upper classes. Most boxers are poor as hell and risk their lives for a buck, 20% go on to develop dementia pugilistica, with all sorts of mental, physical problems. The peasants there getting their brains bashed in for the upper classes entertainment, look at how this woman cruely smiles after the dude gets KO'd by Garcia 5:15 minutes in. Horrible horrible sport.

Many boxers are going to have a f****d up future. Such as Amir Khan, Morales, Cotto, Rios, Pacquiao, and even Mayweather stutters a lot and is showing signs of mental illness. Khan is who I am really worried about. This sport is a throwback to the barbaric Roman times.
              I've written about this in similar terms for years. Nobody pays any attention. But the British Medical Association to my own knowledge has been trying to outlaw boxing for over 40 years, and claims that over 65% of retired boxers,, even amateurs, showed brain damage that might progress in later years to Pugilistica Dementia.

You might be surprised to learn that many of our greatest and historically famous boxers were helpless vegetables in their later years. Both Quarry brothers. Floyd Patterson as well as Ingemar Johansen, Willy Pep, the famous defensive wizard, Nicolino Locche the equally famous defensive wizard, Duilio Loi, Joe Louis, And, if I cared to spend a little time I could find hundreds more. And then there's Muhammed Ali, and we can already see (as you pointed out about Mayweather, you can add Mosley) that many of our present day still fighting boxers will go the same route. Riddick Bowe and James Toney are good examples. and it goes on and on...

I don't blame Howard Cosell one little scrap for suddenly getting up and walking out and never ever attending or commenting in another fight.

For me...."Macho" = Nutto.
              Last edited by edgarg; 08-28-2013, 06:33 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
                I've written about this in similar terms for years. Nobody pays any attention. But the British Medical Association to my own knowledge has been trying to outlaw boxing for over 40 years, and claims that over 65% of retired boxers,, even amateurs, showed brain damage that might progress in later years to Pugilistica Dementia.

You might be surprised to learn that many of our greatest and historically famous boxers were helpless vegetables in their later years. Both Quarry brothers. Floyd Patterson as well as Ingemar Johansen, Willy Pep, the famous defensive wizard, Nicolino Locche the equally famous defensive wizard, Duilio Loi, Joe Louis, And, if I cared to spend a little time I could find hundreds more. And then there's Muhammed Ali, and we can already see (as you pointed out about Mayweather, you can add Mosley) that many of our present day still fighting boxers will go the same route. Riddick Bowe and James Toney are good examples. and it goes on and on...

I don't blame Howard Cosell one little scrap for suddenly getting up and walking out and never ever attending or commenting in another fight.

For me...."Macho" = Nutto.
                Forgot to add Emile Griffith, Meldrick Taylor, Sugar Ray Robinson, Wilfredo Benitez, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler I View Post
                  They fight willingly (unlike slaves), and they're often wealthier than those who watch them. Moreover they can stop at any time.
                  Amen. ..........

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                    Floydius Ducksimus
                    Mayweather reminds me of Commodus in 'Gladiator' weakening Maximus Decimus Meridius before their duel with Floyd imposing the catchweight.
                    Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    Originally posted by tr3cardo View Post
                    Boxing is voluntary.

Wonder what your thoughts on MMA is, or even football.

You must be in your church's choir.

lmfaaaooooooooo

If i was a dictator of a country, i would re create the roman gladiator games. Fight to the death. Use death row prisoners. Whoever wins gets a pardon. I could buy competitors from the american industrial prison complex.

Put it online ppv.

You're telling me you wouldnt buy?

It would easily crush oscar vs floyd ppv numbers.

easily.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tase View Post
                      lmfaaaooooooooo

If i was a dictator of a country, i would re create the roman gladiator games. Fight to the death. Use death row prisoners. Whoever wins gets a pardon. I could buy competitors from the american industrial prison complex.

Put it online ppv.

You're telling me you wouldnt buy?

It would easily crush oscar vs floyd ppv numbers.

easily.
                      I have thought about that too, have them contribute to something rather than just sit in a cell beating off all day while we work.

Comment

Working...
                      X