No announcement yet.

Pulev will be exposed when he steps up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulev will be exposed when he steps up

I had the feeling yesterday, that if it was 2008 Tony Thompson from the first Wlad fight, he would have won. He just showed his age a little in this fight, but his awkwardness was still there.

I was highly unimpressed with Pulev last night. He didn't seem to have much snap on his punches and his skills are not what you would expect from a supposed top 5 heavy. Some people even said he was number 3! I don't think so.

I think Pulev is a tough guy, but can easily be outboxed especially by someone who has a little more fitness than TT and more snap behind his jab.

Basically, Pulev didn't show what he should have showed. But TT is a tough customer and showed against Price that he still has something in him.

What did you think? Is he good enough to be a top heavy?

Missed the fight but felt he looked out of shape compared to usual but no from what I have seen hes for real and a decent fighter.
    He'd been inactive for a long time before this and Thompson is decent enough in his own right. Good win, I will have to give a watch but from what I have seen I feel Pulev's a decent HW.
    He'll never be a threat to Wladimir but hes decent enough.

Thompson is almost impossible to look good against. Hes a cagey southpaw with a lot of experience

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      I had the feeling yesterday, that if it was 2008 Tony Thompson from the first Wlad fight, he would have won. He just showed his age a little in this fight, but his awkwardness was still there.

I was highly unimpressed with Pulev last night. He didn't seem to have much snap on his punches and his skills are not what you would expect from a supposed top 5 heavy. Some people even said he was number 3! I don't think so.

I think Pulev is a tough guy, but can easily be outboxed especially by someone who has a little more fitness than TT and more snap behind his jab.

Basically, Pulev didn't show what he should have showed. But TT is a tough customer and showed against Price that he still has something in him.

Pulev started cautiously but actually boxed at an increased pace and with more snap to his punches as the fight progressed. He definitely has skills, but he was cautious and was holding back, even when he could (should) have finished Thompson during the final rounds. Thompson was gassed and ready to go.

Pulev has yet to be outboxed as you say he easily can be, I believe you are underrating him quite a bit in every sense. Whether he can be a top heavy will be seen vs Wlad, so sit back and watch next time.

Comment

He wasn't that bad, but he looks tailor-made for a guy like Fury.

Comment

Problem with heavyweight is that 'step up' puts him straight into the ring with one of the best heavyweights of the last 20 years. I do like pulev but i feel that he has almost no chance against wladimir. i just there were some better guys to test pulev against before stepping in with the champ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
            I think Fury will have his hands full with Haye for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post

In the current era he's clearly good enough to be top 6 or 7 and I guess when the klits retire he could grab a belt for a while but he has no shot against the like of wlad or haye. he looked like one of these solid enough perennial contenders type guy

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                I think Fury will have his hands full with Haye for a start.
                True, but if Fury took the Pulev fight, i think he would beat him.

Comment

True, but if Fury took the Pulev fight, i think he would beat him.
                  I do too.

Having said that, this thread title is stupid, seriously, what do boxing "fans" mean when they say exposed? Donaire got "exposed" by Rigo, Pacquiao got "exposed" by Marquez, Mares got "exposed" by Gonzalez, heck some were even saying Cotto got "exposed" by Trout LOL. Come on.

Pulev won't get exposed unless you believe he is the greatest hw since lennox but if you have your head screwed on right you can see that he is a decent boxer with decent power and a decent engine. By modern hw standards he is a top 10 hw, if he loses to Wlad or Vit, he isn't being exposed, he is simply being beaten by a far superior fighter.

Comment

No, Fury is simply not good enough for anyone half-decent to be "taylor-made" for him.

As for Pulev, he is very solid but nothing special imo. He has no obvious weaknesses other than being a somewhat slow starter, but he doesn't excel at any one thing. I don't think he has a chance against Wlad, and I wouldn't pick him over Haye and Vitali, but he can beat everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                    X