Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know whats funny? The 140 pounders are all bigger than the Top 147 pounders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know whats funny? The 140 pounders are all bigger than the Top 147 pounders

Its funny to me, Keith Thurman made a great point, he said most of these guys at 147 are not true welterweights, he said Floyd, Marquez, Pacquiao are all small guys who moved up from small weights and they are considered the top 147 pounders. Pac, Floyd, and JMM also don't weigh more than 150 on fight night and don't even cut weight.

All these guys are much bigger than Floyd, Pac, JMM and cut a lot of weight to make the smaller weight.

5 foot 10 Mike Alvarado walks around at 170
    5 foot 9 Brandon Rios walks around at 185
    5 foot 9 Danny Garcia around 160 plus and admits to being a big 140 pounder that might move to 147 soon.
    5 foot 10 Victor Ortiz walks around at 170
    5 foot 8 Marcos Maidana huge puncher walks around 160's
    5 foot 6 Lucas Mattysse short but has those heavy bones and walks around at 160
    5 foot 8 Devon Alexander walks around at 165-170 pounds according to his trainer Kevin Cunningham Devon had to really struggle to make 140 coming down from the high 160's.
    5 foot 5 Timothy Bradley but cuts down from the 170s solid muscle
    5 foot 6 Ruslan Provodnikov short and very stocky and solid and has to cut down to 155 before sweating off the last few pounds for 147, Roach said he had to really soak out to get to 140, and that he was a very big 140 pounder.
    5 foot 10 Robert Guerrero skips 140 have no clue how this big ass dude even made 130-135 with his bone size and frame, he is also much bigger than Floyd and he man handled Andre Berto.

Yup although Thurman looks pretty solid as a WW, also Kell Brook looks like he would have a strength advantage over some of them. Not sure what happened to him but Brad Solomon also looked he would be bigger than others moving up. I'm there are some others but they came to mind. Like you said IDK how Guerrero was at those lower weights but his size is part of the reason why people were interested about him at the time.

Comment

thats why i think floyd moves down to 140

Comment

Bradley weighed less than Pacquiao on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
          Yup although Thurman looks pretty solid as a WW, also Kell Brook looks like he would have a strength advantage over some of them. Not sure what happened to him but Brad Solomon also looked he would be bigger than others moving up. I'm there are some others but they came to mind. Like you said IDK how Guerrero was at those lower weights but his size is part of the reason why people were interested about him at the time.
          Yeah, I have no idea too how Robert made that weight that guy is big.

Also Timothy Bradley in the Amateurs wasn't he a middleweight? The Vegan diet really helps him stay lean during training camp, but I think he suffers in the power department and those muscles are just show muscles no power at all in those shots, Ruslan man handled him on the inside.

Comment

Tim Bradley is a midget

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              Tim Bradley is a midget
              A stocky midget, its like Mike Tyson at 5 foot 10 short compared to the heavyweights he fought but stocky and solid.

Comment

Very true.

It shows there are too many divisions.

If it was up to me, apart from only having one belt per division, I'd also have less weight classes.

Roughly , I'd go like

108 : minimum weight/ junior flyweight

112 : flyweight

118: bantamweight

126: featherweight

135: lightweight

147: welterweight

160: middleweight

175: super middleweight

195(200?): light heavyweight

no limit: heavyweight

What do you guys think, would 10 divisions be enough?. Would it improve the level of competition?.
                Last edited by B-Bomber; 04-19-2013, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                  Its funny to me, Keith Thurman made a great point, he said most of these guys at 147 are not true welterweights, he said Floyd, Marquez, Pacquiao are all small guys who moved up from small weights and they are considered the top 147 pounders. Pac, Floyd, and JMM also don't weigh more than 150 on fight night and don't even cut weight.

All these guys are much bigger than Floyd, Pac, JMM and cut a lot of weight to make the smaller weight.

5 foot 10 Mike Alvarado walks around at 170
                  5 foot 9 Brandon Rios walks around at 185
                  5 foot 9 Danny Garcia around 160 plus and admits to being a big 140 pounder that might move to 147 soon.
                  5 foot 10 Victor Ortiz walks around at 170
                  5 foot 8 Marcos Maidana huge puncher walks around 160's
                  5 foot 6 Lucas Mattysse short but has those heavy bones and walks around at 160
                  5 foot 8 Devon Alexander walks around at 165-170 pounds according to his trainer Kevin Cunningham Devon had to really struggle to make 140 coming down from the high 160's.
                  5 foot 5 Timothy Bradley but cuts down from the 170s solid muscle
                  5 foot 6 Ruslan Provodnikov short and very stocky and solid and has to cut down to 155 before sweating off the last few pounds for 147, Roach said he had to really soak out to get to 140, and that he was a very big 140 pounder.
                  5 foot 10 Robert Guerrero skips 140 have no clue how this big ass dude even made 130-135 with his bone size and frame, he is also much bigger than Floyd and he man handled Andre Berto.

You sure Bradley walks around 170? .... he is a pretty lean/cut dude 24/7 I cant see him getting up to 170, no way.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
                    Very true.

It shows there are too many divisions.

If it was up to me, apart from only having one belt per division, I'd also have less weight classes.

Roughly , I'd go like

108 : minimum weight/ junior flyweight

112 : flyweight

118: bantamweight

126: featherweight

135: lightweight

147: welterweight

160: middleweight

175: super middleweight

195(200?): light heavyweight

no limit: heavyweight

What do you guys think, would 10 divisions be enough?. Would it improve the level of competition?.
                    Man good post! I agree they need to get rid of some of these divisions.

Comment

Working...
                    X