• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh my goodness

maybe in youngstown

ray mancini was not an ATG
    he's not even a hall of famer.

what he was was half of a very exciting fight, whether or not his opponent was that good.

Comment

Mancini boxing skills were underrated but I wouldn't necessarily call him an ATG.
      He does have a good resume and engaged in some great battles though.

Comment

Ray wasn't a great fighter, he was a very good white fighter who had the advantage of network tv to help get over.In addition, he did have a couple of good wins, over Norman Goins, and Jose Luis Ramirez, though he did duck Howard Davis Jr, and possibly Jimmy Paul.

Comment

Ray was never in a bad fight, but was vastly overrated. Back then he was so overrated everyone was sure the fighter who beat him (Livingstone Bramble) was something special because of it. Turns out he was just as overrated

Comment

He was certainly a fan favorite with the way that he liked to brawl and bleed. He definately had some skills but I would not place him among the all-time greats..........Rockin'

Comment

Me neither, but I still like Boom Boom. I consider myself a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                oh my goodness

maybe in youngstown

ray mancini was not an ATG
                he's not even a hall of famer.

what he was was half of a very exciting fight, whether or not his opponent was that good.
                Actually, he's a member of the World Boxing Hall of Fame.

But I agree he's not an ATG, unless you define an ATG as one of the 500 best fighters to ever live.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                  Actually, he's a member of the World Boxing Hall of Fame.

But I agree he's not an ATG, unless you define an ATG as one of the 500 best fighters to ever live.

semantics

you know damn well which hof i'm talking about, and mancini aint in it.

Comment

Boom Boom was fun to watch. Though that was back in the "day"

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                      A good fighter...very entertaining. Gave Arguello a great fight. But, he was limited and a little bit protected.

One thing he desrves credit for- he totally dominated Jose Luis Ramirez. Ramirez gave Arguello hell and proved to be Rosario's boss. A pretty damn good win for Boom Boom that gets overlooked.
                      Also, I have not viewed his fight against Camacho in years. But, I thought he had easily beaten Macho back when I saw it live. I think thats quite a feat as Hector was great in the '80's and Ray was coming off a very long lay-off. Too bad the judges stole it from him. Maybe it was the discouragement of that that made him go back into retirement for a while. It's not possible he was underrated?!

Comment

Working...
                      X