No announcement yet.

Why is Lennox Lewis underrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Lennox Lewis underrated?

Lewis had it all - size, power, heart, smarts plus he couldn't be intimidated. Yet he rarely features in GOAT lists. Is it because he wasn't an out-and-out blaster? He figured that sometimes it was better to outbox and outthink opponents, rather than go for a KO. Isn't that a sign of his greatness as a fighter?

Originally posted by Monsi
    Lewis had it all - size, power, heart, smarts plus he couldn't be intimidated. Yet he rarely features in GOAT lists. Is it because he wasn't an out-and-out blaster? He figured that sometimes it was better to outbox and outthink opponents, rather than go for a KO. Isn't that a sign of his greatness as a fighter?
    He's in the top 11 greatest fighters of all time, remember there are far more great fighters from the past then there are from the present, for example; Jack Johnson, Wolcott, Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, I hate to admit it but even Marciano. So he's compared to so many legends and all of their achievements, and that why he's rated the way he's rated.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsi
      he is underrated because of the era he ruled was boring. he cleaned it out but in a very unconvincing way. and also because of tyson and holyfield were around and people considered them better. but i think he was a great fighter.

Comment

I think he's underrated cause the era was boring and all the good ppl that he fought were out of there prime's. Plus we wasn't a really fun and exciting fighter to watch to begin with.

Comment

because he boxed at the time where tyson was still the main attraction.

Comment

He is one of the greatest IMO......he is my favorite HW of all time and I enjoyed watching him fight he was very smart and had a hell of a whack when he did let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by mystyal2k5
              I think he's underrated cause the era was boring and all the good ppl that he fought were out of there prime's. Plus we wasn't a really fun and exciting fighter to watch to begin with.

Whilst I think you may have a point in the perception of Lennox I dont agree mate with your statement.

Lewis was of similar age to Holyfield and Tyson, he destroyed the vast majority of opponents he fought and was rarely in a dull fight (Shannon Briggs comes to mind)

Razor Ruddock was supposed to be the next big thing he was destroyed in two rounds, Botha and Grant in two rounds, Golota in 1 round. Tommy Morrison was smashed around for about 6 rounds!

He was far from boring in the ring, outside of the ring however he was as interesting as watching paint dry, thats why he was not liked that much, plus he beat Tyson up ableit an older Tyson but Tyson for his faults was the box office draw!

Comment

He was boring in and out of the ring. It was lame to see a guy stand in the middle of the ring, use his 7 foot reach to tag a guy with jabs until he went down.

He had a glass jaw though. If somebody got inside and hit him hard enough, that's that.

Comment

he faced a past his prime tyson and that was the best boxer he fought... thats why he's overlooked and i believe that lewis wouldn't have been a champion in a different era...

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
                    he faced a past his prime tyson and that was the best boxer he fought... thats why he's overlooked and i believe that lewis wouldn't have been a champion in a different era...
                    i like him e is a good boxer but i agreewith you

Comment

Working...
                    X