Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stones! and MIB present; The Big Pop/Rock 'N' Roll Myth Deconstruction Thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music critics classified him as a folk singer, and that song It's All Over Now, Baby Blue is definitely a Folk/Country type song, and somewhat bluesy in a way, but Dylan often said he wasn't a Folk Singer.

His early albums were heavily influenced by Folk singers and were very much Folk albums themselves, but he eventually merged with the Mainstream Rock Genre.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackYourJaw View Post
      Interesting thread.

I'm not well versed in either genre, so it should be a good resource to broaden my listening.

Anything goes as far as I'm concerned, mate. Post whatever you feel;

Currently Spinning;

Comment

Was he made at the label? Did he not want to be labeled at all or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
          Was he made at the label? Did he not want to be labeled at all or something?
          As far as I'm aware, he was always labelled as a Folk/Blues singer when he was signed with Colombia Records - incidentally, Dylan was signed to Colombia by the same Producer who 'found' Bruce Springsteen, John Hammond. I've read numerous times, and seen various footage where Dylan would make the remark that he "wasn't a folk singer".

Currently;

Comment

A buncha stuff I've been listening to lately:

Comment

You talking about Dylan I gotta say I been listening to a lot of Woody Guthrie, Steve Earle, David Rovics.

I'm organising a David Rovics gig in my home town soon.

He does some kids songs:

And some deeper ones:

Comment

CrackYourJaw, that first song you posted was brilliant. Lee Fields - My World Is Empty Without You - never heard it before.

Post more Lee Fields - do you know of any albums he's released?

Comment

IRONSIDE, do you have Guthrie's Library of Congress Recordings'?

I just read this from Wiki,

David Rovics supports file sharing of his own work. "Feel free to download these songs. Use them for whatever purpose. Send them to friends, burn them, copy them, play them on the radio, on the internet, wherever. Music is the Commons. Ignore the corporate music industry shills who tell you otherwise. Downloading music is not theft, you're not hurting anyone, I promise. (And in any case, yes, this is legal, and I'm making all of these songs available myself.)"

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
                    CrackYourJaw, that first song you posted was brilliant. Lee Fields - My World Is Empty Without You - never heard it before.

Post more Lee Fields - do you know of any albums he's released?

I only have one album of his called My World which was released in 2009, but I think he might have some stuff from the 70's.

Comment

The man is smooth.

Comment

Working...
                      X