Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If Leon Spinks Trained Hard And Stayed Focused?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If Leon Spinks Trained Hard And Stayed Focused?

How much more could of he achieved?

i think leon should of done a lot better with his career,he had all the tools necessary to become a champion and he did just that with a well earned win against perhaps one of the top 10 heavyweights off all time ali,after he lost the rematch he, just like you said he lost the desire to train and stay focused as he once was,

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
      win against perhaps one of the top 10 heavyweights off all time ali

Comment

Leon Spinks was a good fighter and very tough, i have quite a lot of his fights and they are great viewing.. Larry Holmes beat him in 4rds but not before Leon got some good licks in, Leon Spinks has been there and "Done it" and no one can take that away from him.
        Olympic Champion
        World Champion
        Fight of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Leon Spinks was a good fighter and very tough, i have quite a lot of his fights and they are great viewing.. Larry Holmes beat him in 4rds but not before Leon got some good licks in, Leon Spinks has been there and "Done it" and no one can take that away from him.
          Olympic Champion
          World Champion
          Fight of the Year
          yeah gd points

Comment

Partying and the night life got the better of neon Leon. He was a small heavyweight and that didn't help and he was rushed as a pro. I often wonder what his management was thinking! His move down to cruiserweight was an example of this.

Comment

The Spinks from the first Ali fight would have acquitted himself fairly well against the Norton and Holmes of 1978. Leon had a damn good workrate and good upper body movement.

With better management and less craziness Leon could have had a very decorated career.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                Partying and the night life got the better of neon Leon. He was a small heavyweight and that didn't help and he was rushed as a pro. I often wonder what his management was thinking! His move down to cruiserweight was an example of this.
                Yeah he was utterly drained at cruiser he could not move properly and took a beating from Qawi.

Comment

Tricky to rate as he winning the HW title so early in his career effectively ruined him.
                  The Ali he beat was dreadful but Spinks did have talent if not application.
                  I can't see he could have beaten Holmes so at best I think Spinks would have fallen in with the Tate, Weaver, Page, Coetzee etc etc group and maybe shared wins with that lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros? View Post
                    Yeah he was utterly drained at cruiser he could not move properly and took a beating from Qawi.
                    Might have been different if he would have started at cruiser and then moved up in time. Spinks at his peak didn't have any spare weight so to cut down would be a torturous business requiring manic application in training,diet etc which wasn't really Leon's forte!

Comment

Working...
                    X