Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn Terry Norris is slurring his speech BAD!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hectari View Post
    This isn't very common today with top boxers because top boxers didn't fight that often compared to the olden days where slurring was very common for retired boxers especially losing journey men who had over 100 fights.

I believe Terry speech was slurring do to heavy sparring he would spar 5 days a week even when he had no fight, just like James Toney these guys would spar even when they didn't have a fight. Freddie Roach said too much sparring is where the damage is really done for a lot of these guys, especially when they are cutting weight and don't have enough fluids in the brain. Riddick Bowe slurs bad, even Jeremy Williams has a heavy tongue and sounds punch drunk.

Another guy who slurs like that is Jason Litzau, he gets hit a lot in fights, knocked out and knocked down a lot and also would spar a lot when he was younger.

Most top boxers today who are not brawlers, will not slur unless they spar too much and get hit a lot in sparring on purpose thinking it will help them take a punch better in a fight.
    Enzo Macrinelli sounds punch drunk as well. He's still boxing though...

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
      I am assuming he didnt talk like this before as i never heard him talk before. Ive seen him fight before but not talk.

But its not a sad thing about boxing, as its very rare. Most ex great pro boxers ive seen interviewed dont slur, and talk eloquently, as do all pro boxers who are curently fighting.

horsesh#t

the guys with long careers at the top of the game are badly depleted. their health will suffer inherently. no good comes from taking repeated blows to the head and vital organs during training, amateurs, and the pros. no good whatsoever. it's exceedingly rare to find a top flight fighter who is 10-20 years removed from the game whose speech does not suffer.

and there's additional damage that gets done. antonio margarito's eye is permanantly damaged. harry greb went blind in one eye. lamon brewster is completely blind from the helenius fight. guys have problems with their kidneys and liver from making weight (and taking punches.) they get horrible arthritis of the hands and legs prematurely, from the training and impact.

hopkins, mosley, whitaker, toney, hearns, holyfield, bowe, jones, all sound terrible.

foreman, cooney, tyson, leonard, are a few who sound like they were able to retire with their faculties in check.
      if anybody would like to add more names to either list, please feel free.

that these guys give up so much of their lives for our entertainment is the great-making quality of this sport and these athletes. you don't play boxing. you live it, and it stays with you after you retire.
      Last edited by New England; 10-01-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Most fighters, even in the 30s up till now have amatuer careers with 100 or more bouts. Many of these bouts begin at 12 to 14 years old. Add those to gym time (sparring) then pro careers and in the case of Norris you can have 160 fights and hundreds of spar rounds and 40% of the spar seesions are throwing pretty heavy shots!! Factor in sparring with concussive syndrum being active and thats a reciept for disaster!! There are individuals that can't absorb what other can and its tuff to tell a fighter he's done!! The average person can't understand why they just can't stop because they don'y understand its not like a 9 to 5 job its literially Who They Are! Tuff Bus. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          horsesh#t

the guys with long careers at the top of the game are badly depleted. their health will suffer inherently. no good comes from taking repeated blows to the head and vital organs during training, amateurs, and the pros. no good whatsoever. it's exceedingly rare to find a top flight fighter who is 10-20 years removed from the game whose speech does not suffer.

and there's additional damage that gets done. antonio margarito's eye is permanantly damaged. harry greb went blind in one eye. lamon brewster is completely blind from the helenius fight. guys have problems with their kidneys and liver from making weight (and taking punches.) they get horrible arthritis of the hands and legs prematurely, from the training and impact.

hopkins, mosley, whitaker, toney, hearns, holyfield, bowe, jones, all sound terrible.

foreman, cooney, tyson, leonard, are a few who sound like they were able to retire with their faculties in check.
          if anybody would like to add more names to either list, please feel free.

that these guys give up so much of their lives for our entertainment is the great-making quality of this sport and these athletes. you don't play boxing. you live it, and it stays with you after you retire.
          Excellent post, such a shame about the long term effects boxing does to fighters but I'm sure a lot of them look back and say it was all worth it. The glory, the Crowd chanting your name, etc.. God bless people that put their lives on the line for our entertainment

Comment

Yeah and this is why I really don't have a problem with Fighters who are more Defensive and actually do what they can to AVOID taking SERIOUS DAMAGE, that is what your SUPPOSE TO DO

Fans forget that they are ALL doing this for the money FIRST...as much as some fans what to believe that fighters are doing this "JUST FOR THE FANS...UH...NO they are all doing this for the MONEY FIRST and what is the point of doing this for money when you cannot enjoy your money once your done retiring

Plus it is not like these guys get take care of once they retire, sadly a lot of boxing Legends DIED BROKE

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
              I am assuming he didnt talk like this before as i never heard him talk before. Ive seen him fight before but not talk.

But its not a sad thing about boxing, as its very rare. Most ex great pro boxers ive seen interviewed dont slur, and talk eloquently, as do all pro boxers who are curently fighting.
              All current pro boxers really? Like James Toney?

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
              I heard someone once say that Terry used to spar 12 rounds on a regular basis and that it couldn't have done him much good.
              Yeah I heard he sparred 12 rds every other day, and he sparred with guys much bigger than him.

Originally posted by hectari View Post
              I believe Terry speech was slurring do to heavy sparring he would spar 5 days a week even when he had no fight, just like James Toney these guys would spar even when they didn't have a fight. Freddie Roach said too much sparring is where the damage is really done for a lot of these guys, especially when they are cutting weight and don't have enough fluids in the brain.
              Toney spars too damn much. He said he'd rather spar than hit the bag.

Comment

This is what happens when you fight Julian Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  All current pro boxers really? Like James Toney?

Yeah I heard he sparred 12 rds every other day, and he sparred with guys much bigger than him.

Toney spars too damn much. He said he'd rather spar than hit the bag.
                  Thats why he got punch drunk, Toney never gets hit flush in fights, defensive guys who slur their words get it from too much sparring when in sparring they are willing to take more chances and get hit more cause of head gear.

Floyd even gets hit more in sparring I think defensive guys do it on purpose thinking it will toughen them up come fight time. Floyd however doesn't spar much, only for fights, so he should be good since he doesn't get hit flush often in the ring, but in sparring he lets guys tee off on him while talking trash, Toney does the same crap and this why he slurrs now.

Toney doesn't do roadwork that's why he is fat and bloated, the guy is lazy, he shouldn't even be at heavyweight he should have been 175 pounder and no more than that, but he eliminated doing cardio like long runs two a day jogs, when he did running he was slim, when he stopped he blew up in size.

I remember Roach saying Toney didn't even do the speed bag or punching bag and doesn't believe in running that all his exercise would be from mittwork and sparring, Toney felt why run when he doesn't run in the ring, so his philosophy was road work was useless since boxing wasn't a track meet.

Sad, if James only stayed in shape and sparred only for fights instead of 200 days in the year, he would have been so legendary, if that guy was in shape he would have been one of the greatest and could have still talked clearly with awesome trash talk. Now the guy sounds like he has marshmellows in his mouth

Comment

Working...
                  X