Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highly considered with miminal pro experience era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highly considered with miminal pro experience era?

Is this a completely unique time in boxing history when so many guys (in all divisions, as its not untypical in the lil guy divisions, but those divisions tend to be the least deep divisions in boxing too so it makes sense) with 20 or less or 15 or less fights are so highly ranked &/or considered by fans &/or pundits?

Anthony Joshua is considered the #1 at HW with a mere 18 fights. Which I don't think I can recall happening for a very long time. Leon Spinks mighta been the last guy I can recall with equal or less fights.

Oleksandr Usyk is considered the #1 guy at CW with 12 fights. Michael Hunter just got a title shot vs Usyk in his 13th fight.

LHW gots Oleksandr Gvozdyk (13 fights), Artur Beterbiev (11 fights) & Dmitry Bivol (10 fights) are or are becoming mid-level top 10 players in the division already.

MW gots Sergiy Derevyanchenko (10 fights) in the top 10 & Ryota Murata (12 fights) close to bursting in the top 10. And even a 6 fight guy, Azizbek Abdugofurov, making big moves with under a year in the game still.

At 140 we got Sergey Lipinets (12 fights) who might be fighting for a title next time around.

And then we obviously got the crowning achievement of this minimal pro experience takeover at 130, Vasyl Lomachenko, with a mere 9 fights & belts in 2 divisions already.

And these are just the guys I or others have been most interested in &/or most talking about. There are plenty of guys in the top 20 of divisions that I didn't mention or the top 50 who are extremely talented & still on the come up.

So is this just the Eastern Euro invasion that they aren't f#cking around about? Or is this a new era of boxing where promoters are moving up guys fast who can compete & fighters are happy to oblige? Or is this just a weaker era of boxing where talented amateurs can come into the pro game & rekt it all the more quicker than previously? Or is it something else entirely?

Whatever it is I'm loving all these guys who are fighting on this new sped up boxing conveyor belt that's typically moved guys from pro debut to first real challenging fight &/or title shot over a 3-5 year period.

I've never cared for the kid gloves that the most promising, highly talented boxers are handled with. These should be the fighters who are moved the most aggressively, but instead boxing throws the untalented & bs guys into the boxing meat grinder & those most talented boxers into 20ish setup fights over 3-5 years before actually putting them in with a live opponent who has more than a 40% chance of winning. Crazy how that's been going on so long.

There's something all these fighters have in common - good amateur background which means experience so they're able to deal with better competition early. It's better than seeing some talented boxer padding his record with 20-30 bums before getting some relevant fight
    Last edited by g27region; 04-26-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Most of the boxers you mentioned in your list have good amateur background, Olympians & some are even medalists.. So a well schooled boxer comes along & it would take him a few fights to figure out where he stands with respect to the current pool of talents.. Also some of the divisions were wide open & the top guys were promoted when the guys retired/lost like HW, CW, WW..
      I also think in this era people have learnt a lesson that boxing is not a sport of longevity & you need to speed up to secure a title/top challenger which eventually would lead to good money fights..

oh btw Panda.. this is a B- troll thread

Comment

You can call it Lomachenko's blueprint, he might've started that trend

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
          There's something all these fighters have in common - good amateur background which means experience so they're able to deal with better competition early.
          Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
          Most of the boxers you mentioned in your list have good amateur background, Olympians & some are even medalists.
          But there have always been talented amateur guys. That's nothing new. They've still moved the 200, 300, 500 amateur fight guys on that fairly standard 3-5 year plan.

Also some of the divisions were wide open & the top guys were promoted when the guys retired/lost like HW, CW, WW..
          That's valid & goes along with my weaker era theory. I wouldn't disagree with this.

I also think in this era people have learnt a lesson that boxing is not a sport of longevity & you need to speed up to secure a title/top challenger which eventually would lead to good money fights.
          I would hope this is something boxers, trainers, promoters & anyone in the business would grasp. I think all the NFL head trauma stuff that's been talked about so much lately is extremely relevant to boxing too & there might already be some impact to boxing like in the way you are suggesting. "Lets get in, make some big moves, get some money & gtfo".

oh btw Panda.. this is a B- troll thread
          :boobies:

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            But there have always been talented amateur guys. That's nothing new. They've still moved the 200, 300, 500 amateur fight guys on that fairly standard 3-5 year plan.
            Like I've said in the other message, Lomachenko probably started that with Eastern boxers and it's a good trend actually. They turn pro at 25-28, they got no time to waste - look at Golovkin who's old and past his prime but still doesn't have any career defining fight on his resume.

People who's involved in boxing business take notes when they compare Lomachenko and Golovkin careers.
            Last edited by g27region; 04-26-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              In Americas continent (North & South) only few countries have amateur, Olympian participation.. USA, Cuba & Brazil have majority of the boxers with little presence from Venezuela. Mexico & Columbia..
              Most Mexican fighters come with little to no amateur background & learn on the job, which would mean their promoters would not rush them to title fights & they end up having 30-35 fights before a title shot..

Comment

I don't think it's anything new to boxing, but what we have today that we didn't have in prior generations was internet forums and social media to hype them up, get them exposure, and of course argue about. I can recall the debut of Mark Breland, Donald Curry, Oscar De La Hoya, and David Reid, all highly touted amateurs who were supposed to set the boxing world on fire. Only Oscar prevailed as a superstar who lived up to the hype. Even then, Breland and Curry were better than the guys being hyped up today with the exception of Loma.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                  In Americas continent (North & South) only few countries have amateur, Olympian participation.. USA, Cuba & Brazil have majority of the boxers with little presence from Venezuela. Mexico & Columbia..
                  Most Mexican fighters come with little to no amateur background & learn on the job, which would mean their promoters would not rush them to title fights & they end up having 30-35 fights before a title shot..
                  So what are you saying exactly? Those Eastern Euro guys, who are the main guys being fast tracked, are in a more amateur-centric region of the world so not unlike the Cubans in that high level amateur making machine they have in Cuba the tip top guys are on a whole other level when turning pro vs the lesser competitive regions of the world currently or in the past?

Are there any hard or guessimate figures on how many amateur boxers are in different countries? Question for anyone.

I definitely know there is currently a highly competitive thing going in that region with combat sports in general as I see an influx of quality Eastern Euro cats in boxing & MMA right now that I've never seen before. I just don't know if its some Nacho & Futch level trainers over there getting a small % of guys at their maximum level who come over to the US sooner or later & merk it or if there is a Cuban-like low level point of entry meat grinder system that when the cream rises to the top of the sheer volume of talent being put in those guys are on some crazy level compared to the average successful amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    I don't think it's anything new to boxing, but what we have today that we didn't have in prior generations was internet forums and social media to hype them up, get them exposure, and of course argue about. I can recall the debut of Mark Breland, Donald Curry, Oscar De La Hoya, and David Reid, all highly touted amateurs who were supposed to set the boxing world on fire. Only Oscar prevailed as a superstar who lived up to the hype. Even then, Breland and Curry were better than the guys being hyped up today with the exception of Loma.
                    Of the guys mentioned I think only ODLH & Reid were legit fast tracked doe. I know Reid was a title holder within 13ish or less fights iirc. And ODLH had a bit of a manufactured run early on, not that it wasn't impressive, just that they had him as a two division (WBO iirc) title holder before he fought a live body, but yea I recall him being a player in his division(s) quickly out of the gate.

So I mean sure the amateur & Olympic level guys have always been the better bets to make in that transition from pro debut to champion/title holder, but they typically still haven't been as many of those types of guys around or I'm forgetting a lot of mfers, one or the other. Feel free to name all the 15 fight or less guys who were top ten guys in any particular era like I did above if you can recall them cuz I'd be legit curious about seeing what was happening in that era too.

Comment

Working...
                    X