No announcement yet.

Carl Froch vs. Gennady Golovkin @ 168.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graz View Post
    Golovkin would be all over Froch like a cheap shirt. No contest.
    MMMM I think GGG woud be weary of the larger mans power and length. Not an easy fight for GGG, I though jacobs length bothered him abit, couldn't set his hook up on target as much

He'd probably fight more tentatively than you would think, maybe win on points

Froch can punch and is a lot larger

Comment

Froch.

Golovkin would have to box on the backfoot and hit and run to beat froch and that isnt his game.

At some point its gonna end up in a firefight and froch loves those and would just be too big, too relentless and too tough.

Golovkin would give a good account of himself but his style doesnt suit going up against much bigger, stronger dudes.

Comment

Golovkin would have flattened Froch

Froch knew it, that's why he retired in a hurry

for the sole purpose of ducking GGG after GGG called his bluff. embarrassing

Comment

First, Froch was running his mouth. Then, he was running scared. At the end, he was hiding behind the back of his wife. Now, 3 years later, all of a sudden he was ready to fight. SMH! Lost a lot of respect for The Cobra...

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
            MMMM I think GGG woud be weary of the larger mans power and length. Not an easy fight for GGG, I though jacobs length bothered him abit, couldn't set his hook up on target as much

He'd probably fight more tentatively than you would think, maybe win on points

Froch can punch and is a lot larger
            wasnt his length as ggg dominated him with the jab. it was his explosiveness and froch has none of that.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
              Froch would win this. If fights were based purely on skill Froch would have lost every fight from Pascal on (Mack aside).

But they are not based purely on skill, Froch is the living embodiment of that. GGG is too small and his power is overrated. Froch beat fighters who had jabs, power, speed, skill, and size.

Jermain Taylor as one example - had all those things. He competed with everyone he fought, and only beaten one time clearly, by the best fighter of his generation. Even then he was pretty competitive and coming on strong against a tiring Ward.

I heard someone call him a C+/B- fighter, that may be true in terms of visible talent, but his power was elite, his chin was elite, and his intangibles were A++, and thats why he was a top fighter, and likely HOF'er.
              best fighter of his genearation...you talking about john ruiz clone andre ward?

Comment

Froch has been dropped and hurt a few times, by opponents who dont hit as hard as GGG. GGG dominates and stop's Froch late.

Comment

How are people still thinking GGG is this good?

He squeaked past Jacobs, who has to protect his chin in the way he fights, and Canelo who also probably lost 7-5 in a tough fight. GGG doesn't knock out elite fighters, whilst he has extremely heavy hands, when you get to that kind of level you need some unpredictability with your punches and speed to knock opponents out. GGG has neither, his jab and his workrate have been his best assets in these fights, he has put together rounds by just throwing and landing volume rather than a lot quality.

No one even knows how his power would carry to 168, and Froch has one of the best chins in 168lb history. Obviously this is all a matter of opinion, I just can't see how people dismiss Froch that easily. People thinking he will turn up for a GGG fight the way he fought some others recklessly are mistaken. He 12-0 Abraham, who is not as good a boxer as GGG, but hardly a stiff either.

Realistically we need to see more of GGG before you could properly evaluate this match up.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                    How are people still thinking GGG is this good?

He squeaked past Jacobs, who has to protect his chin in the way he fights, and Canelo who also probably lost 7-5 in a tough fight. GGG doesn't knock out elite fighters, whilst he has extremely heavy hands, when you get to that kind of level you need some unpredictability with your punches and speed to knock opponents out. GGG has neither, his jab and his workrate have been his best assets in these fights, he has put together rounds by just throwing and landing volume rather than a lot quality.

No one even knows how his power would carry to 168, and Froch has one of the best chins in 168lb history. Obviously this is all a matter of opinion, I just can't see how people dismiss Froch that easily. People thinking he will turn up for a GGG fight the way he fought some others recklessly are mistaken. He 12-0 Abraham, who is not as good a boxer as GGG, but hardly a stiff either.

Realistically we need to see more of GGG before you could properly evaluate this match up.
                    Jacobs is a puncher-boxer with great technical ability and decent footwork as well as power. GGG caught and dropped him an ultimately won the fight.

Froch is a come forward slugger with poor skills, poor footwork but good resistance. He has still been dropped hard by lesser punchers than GGG and he was losing to Taylor before Taylor gassed, he also should of had a loss to Dirrell but had a home town decision win.

GGG is technically superior, hits harder and I would bet is tougher.

Comment

Here's a solid reason why Canelo and Jacobs didn't get stopped.

They RAN, they did not step in the bucket and fight! The reason is very simple why take that chance!
                      After a round they knew that there best chance was to keep GGG feet moving and chasing.

Froch can't box a lick and he would need to step to GGG and work him. I don't think he fares well doing that.
                      GGG has a great double jab and although he doesn't use as much as he should it would set up combos and Froch doesn't have the skills to counter that attack.

I will say that Canelo has his chance the next time to step and take it to Golovkin! GGG does not have the same legs
                      and he doesn't move his head as often as he needs to when someone brings it.

Froch 6' 74" reach 168/180lbs.
                      GGG 5' 10" 70" reach 160/172lbs.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X