Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

canelo alvarez vs paul williams what could have been?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    They were going to fight after Lara had already clearly beat Williams. Williams was very easy to hit clean and Canelo was a quick handed sharp shooter with both hands and had real power. I think he would have knocked Williams out.
    possibly bro, thanks for your response!

Comment

At the point in time that they were supposed to fight, Paul was mentally past it. The Martinez KO took away alot of his fire. He looked **** against Lara & Ishida. All the further proof you need - there's a reason GB picked Paul for the fight...

Look at the list of fighters GB was trying to set their cash cow Alvarez up with for a non-ppv fight:

Paul Williams - KO'd by Martinez, looks poor against Ishida & Lara
      James Kirkland - torn shoulder against Molina, not expected to 'fully' recover til winter
      Victor Ortiz - smaller man, just KO'd by Mayweather
      Jose Lopez - a midlevel JWW

Comment

During the time when that fight was going to happen I believe Canelo was to green and his stamina wouldn't have been able to keep up with Williams 100 punch out put per round.Than Floyd would have made 1000 excuse in not fighting Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
          At the point in time that they were supposed to fight, Paul was mentally past it. The Martinez KO took away alot of his fire. He looked **** against Lara & Ishida. All the further proof you need - there's a reason GB picked Paul for the fight...

Look at the list of fighters GB was trying to set their cash cow Alvarez up with for a non-ppv fight:

James Kirkland - torn shoulder against Molina, not expected to 'fully' recover til winter
          p-will fought ishida??????????????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
            During the time when that fight was going to happen I believe Canelo was to green and his stamina wouldn't have been able to keep up with Williams 100 punch out put per round.Than Floyd would have made 1000 excuse in not fighting Williams
            you might be right about everything stated.........

Comment

Originally posted by drenlou View Post
              p-will fought ishida??????????????????????????????
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ovIuXXXZj8

His comeback from Martinez KO. He was just a shell of the guy who destroyed Winky Wright.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ovIuXXXZj8

His comeback from Martinez KO. He was just a shell of the guy who destroyed Winky Wright.
                i totally forgot about this fight bro!!!!! damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! what undercard was this one again? cloud/campillo?
                Last edited by LouIE G; 10-25-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Pwill was coming off a gift decision against Lara that was clearly a loss. He didn't look like the same guy. Now Canelo was only 22 at the time so that inexperience could have played a factor but I think Canelo would have prevailed.
                  Still sad thinking about what happened to Pwill. He was the most avoided guy between 147-154 with good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by drenlou View Post
                    i totally forgot about this fight bro!!!!! damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! what undercard was this one again? cloud/campillo?
                    My bad, it was actually after the Lara fight. Paul stunk so bad against Lara, he worked himself off HBO on to Showtime. But that was the main event with Cloud-Campillo on the undercard.

Paul was past it at this point, he didn't have the fire anymore. His punches weren't as damaging to his opponents and he was taking more hits in return. Like I said before, GB picked PWilly to fight Alvarez for a reason. They weren't going to risk Alvarez losing.

Comment

Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
                      Pwill was coming off a gift decision against Lara that was clearly a loss. He didn't look like the same guy. Now Canelo was only 22 at the time so that inexperience could have played a factor but I think Canelo would have prevailed.
                      Still sad thinking about what happened to Pwill. He was the most avoided guy between 147-154 with good reason.
                      One of history's most freakish looking WW's. He was between 6'1-6'3 with an insane wingspan and stamina, like a pair of giant lungs with long *ss arms that just kept coming at you. I'm really thankful we got the Margarito fight with both guys in their prime (credit to Tony, he took Bob Arum to court to force that fight). I just wish we would've got the Pavlik-Williams fight. At the time I was picking Pavlik's power over Williams volume, but now knowing everything Pavlik was going through at that time with his drinking problems, Paul very likely would've been the MW champion and we probably never would've seen Sergio Martinez at MW (he would've stayed the JMW champ).

Comment

Working...
                      X