Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Naseem Hamed the most exciting fighter of the 90's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell no....the little punk was over-rated from day one.

Comment

Love him or hate him.. He demanded attention and got it.

But the most exciting? I might go with Chris Eubank myself.. Such is the nature of opinion.

Kelley Hamed is still one of the most intense 4 rounds of boxing ever.

Comment

I was too young when naz was fighting but seeing his fights on youtube he must have been one hell of a fighter to watch

Comment

Originally posted by king4oranges View Post
          I was too young when naz was fighting but seeing his fights on youtube he must have been one hell of a fighter to watch
          I was around 16 when he became champion, and in the uk his fights were an event.
          People who normally would never watch boxing would want to see him, maybe just for his ring entrance or to see what stupid trunks he was wearing.

I can see an argument for Tyson being more exciting but it was based on his past and his fights werent great. He didnt look like the same fighter, but was still scary and his fights with Holyfield obviously were the big boxing shockers of that decade.

Hamed was an amazing self promoter. He had everything going against him. He wasnt an American gold medalist at a weight people were interested in. He didnt have the big American fan base laid out for him like Oscar. He didnt have Oscars marketability, his looks, or his emotional back story about him losing his mother.
          Hamed was a weird looking Arab, from northern England. Who fought at Bantamweight at first. Thats when he started getting attention. Thats when i first saw him. And people where saying "watch this crazy kid do backflips".
          It wasnt about his KO's at first.
          Everything he did was entertaining, even when you found him annoying, or wanted him to lose.
          A switch hitting featherwight, with one punch KO power in both hands, who could get put down, but get up to destroy his opponent 60 seconds later. He wore stupid trunks, danced like a ****, had a huge mouth and then started preaching Islam before his fights.
          No one can compete with that.

He was the bastard child of Herol Graham, Muhammed Ali, Wilfredo Gomez and Hector Camacho. imo.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
            I was around 16 when he became champion, and in the uk his fights were an event.
            People who normally would never watch boxing would want to see him, maybe just for his ring entrance or to see what stupid trunks he was wearing.

I can see an argument for Tyson being more exciting but it was based on his past and his fights werent great. He didnt look like the same fighter, but was still scary and his fights with Holyfield obviously were the big boxing shockers of that decade.

Hamed was an amazing self promoter. He had everything going against him. He wasnt an American gold medalist at a weight people were interested in. He didnt have the big American fan base laid out for him like Oscar. He didnt have Oscars marketability, his looks, or his emotional back story about him losing his mother.
            Hamed was a weird looking Arab, from northern England. Who fought at Bantamweight at first. Thats when he started getting attention. Thats when i first saw him. And people where saying "watch this crazy kid do backflips".
            It wasnt about his KO's at first.
            Everything he did was entertaining, even when you found him annoying, or wanted him to lose.
            A switch hitting featherwight, with one punch KO power in both hands, who could get put down, but get up to destroy his opponent 60 seconds later. He wore stupid trunks, danced like a ****, had a huge mouth and then started preaching Islam before his fights.
            No one can compete with that.

He was the bastard child of Herol Graham, Muhammed Ali, Wilfredo Gomez and Hector Camacho. imo.
            Great post! I was a teenager when Hamed was champ too. I was already a big boxing fan but when the prince came around, their was nothing like it and never will be. One of my favorite fighters of all time.

Can someone pull up a Hamed highlights video? (Can't seem to do it off my iPad ) For any new fans that dont know much about Naz. Or maybe his war with Kelley, that fight is up there with Hagler-Hearns and the build up was incredible.

Comment

Miss Naz now more then ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedkidlewis View Post
                Great post! I was a teenager when Hamed was champ too. I was already a big boxing fan but when the prince came around, their was nothing like it and never will be. One of my favorite fighters of all time.

Can someone pull up a Hamed highlights video? (Can't seem to do it off my iPad ) For any new fans that dont know much about Naz. Or maybe his war with Kelley, that fight is up there with Hagler-Hearns and the build up was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by WR Boxing View Post

Awesome! Thanks

People watch this ****!!!! Especially after watching Fraud Mayweather! I'd pay PPV Money any night for the prince over Mayweather

Comment

As far as Excitement goes, Holyfield and Gatti were right up there also. I think Gatti had 4 Ring FOTY, with a few more runner up fights.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                      As far as Excitement goes, Holyfield and Gatti were right up there also. I think Gatti had 4 Ring FOTY, with a few more runner up fights.
                      I hear that but theirs a difference from being warriors to being the most exciting fighter in the world. We will always have those type of fighters but will never have another Naz.

Comment

Working...
                      X