No announcement yet.

What's next for Victor Ortiz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's next for Victor Ortiz?

Another tune up? If he's not fighting Khan or Maidana, then where does he go from here? I think he needs to get revenge on Maidana before anyone takes him seriously again. He'd probably win a lopsided decision with that safety first style, but maybe that'll bring back the Vicious side of him. He's been fighting like he lost all confidence. Even if Maidana fights Bradley in Novemer and loses, Ortiz still needs to do it. That's the only way for people to forget about his "No Mas".

He should just quit the sport.

Comment

I will say this; Maidana will not fight Ortiz unless he loses. Marcos will pursue either Bradley, Alexander or Khan and once he loses (which will happen if he goes against either of those guys) then he will be more willing to take a rematch with Ortiz.

I honestly think if you put Ortiz back in the ring a few months later, Ortiez would have boxed the **** outta Maidana. What Ortiz needs to do to win that fight is obvious, and I actually think he makes it look easy.

With that said and to answer your question, he needs a tough rugged opponent that will test his heart and toughness in the ring. Jesus Soto-Karrass at a 145 catch weight would be a great test, or even 140 fights against Katsidis (the one I actually prefer) or a guy like Juan Urango.

Comment

If I had it my way, I would have him take a Soto Karass fight, then Katsidis.....followed up by a Maidana, shot at redemption fight. Karass fight will be easy to make and Katsidis will be looking for a big fight (esp since he won't be able to get a Khan or Marquez fight).

Comment

Didnt Uncle Oskie say hes fghting on the Sept 18th card?

Comment

he damn near quit the sport altogether after the maidana fight. boxing might not be the right sport for him.

Comment

Bradley wont fight maidana so soon and everyone else at 140 is booked so Maidana will have no choice but to rematch Ortiz...but if not Maidana then Alvarado or Katsidis will be a good choice

Comment

I was all for Bradley-Maidana when it was first announced. He says he still wants Bradley, but I'd love Ortiz to rematch him. Ortiz got some confidence back in the Campbell fight. Now it's time for him to step to his daddy again. I don't see Khan wanting any parts of either guy. I'd be down for Ortiz against Alexander, but that don't seem likely. Make the Maidana rematch and see if Ortiz has what it takes or if he crumbles again.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
                  Another tune up? If he's not fighting Khan or Maidana, then where does he go from here? I think he needs to get revenge on Maidana before anyone takes him seriously again. He'd probably win a lopsided decision with that safety first style, but maybe that'll bring back the Vicious side of him. He's been fighting like he lost all confidence. Even if Maidana fights Bradley in Novemer and loses, Ortiz still needs to do it. That's the only way for people to forget about his "No Mas".
                  I don't think that's a fight his handlers would even consider at this point. Maybe after a few more victories (3-4) he'd be ready for a another tussle with him. But if he were to fight him again, it might even end up being worse than the first meeting. The guy made him quit, that's gotta be a major psychological disadvantage for him. He needs to get some confidence back first.

After watching his fight against Campbell, it doesn't appear that we'll be seeing the same "vicious" victor again, at least not anytime soon. It looks like he's transitioning into more of a pure boxer rather than being an all-out aggressor. Being more of a boxer should definitely benefit him though, because it'll keep that chin of his out of danger.

Comment

Urango, definitely. No more soft touches or has-beens for this kid - he's had his share of those since the Maidana loss a year ago, so it's time for him to be seriously tested again. Urango, whilst being a tough and rugged guy, is easily beatable for someone of Ortiz's boxing calibre.

Comment

Working...
                    X