Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin-Jacobs: WBA Denies Request To Modify Purse Bid Split

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MantisToboggan View Post
    Hahahaha.

1. Jacobs been KO before, GGG NEVER BEEN PHASED IN HIS BOXING CAREER.
    2. GGG BRINGS THE BELTS, Jacob is just a challenger.
    3. GGG Puts asses to seats on west and east coast and is internationally known, Jacob ? no one outside of BK knows him.

ggg does not win anything by beating jacobs, jacobs wins it all 75/25 is fair

You serious jack? 75/25 is generous !
    And its not GGG its wba rules you nimrod
    do you realize he was being sarcastic, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
      not so sure its the right thing the right thing would of been to increase his percentage by 5 or 10 percent. now the fight might not even happen if its a small purse bid
      then why even have a designated split to begin with? Why not just have the sanctioning body decide the split individually for each and every mandatory defense? I'll tell you why, because it would be chaos. There is nothing remarkable or unique about Jacobs status or situation that warrants the sanctioning body revising the bid split.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        All this means is that DiBella/Haymon are going to really commit to putting the money up for Daniel Jacobs' biggest fight ever. Had a brief conversation with OnePunch a while ago (about the possibility that Golovkin could have in his contract with K2 a provision that would allow them to forsake a significant chunk of what his take on a bid could be, in the name of having control of the event), but the stakes just went up.

If K2 continues to hold up the money, DiBella is going to see what Barclays Center is willing to put up to host the fight, Haymon will talk to Stephen Espinoza to see what the Showtime money could possibly look like, the rest of the revenues will be projected out, and DiBella/Haymon will work towards a bid that they view as being more than what K2 is seemingly willing to put up for the fight.

60/40 (assuming that Jacobs' camp is placing their value off of what Golovkin has made in fights) would seem to indicate that $2m to Golovkin/~$1.25m to Jacobs is about where Jacobs and Co are angling for (on the disclosed pay to the fighters).

If K2 isn't even offering that, the bid reaction is going to get messy.
        Yea. I'm very interested in seeing what K2 will bid. It'll clear up a lot of questions. Was Danny asking to much or were they low balling him? I want to see how much value they really think GGG has. Especially after rejecting $10 mil & PPV upside for the Canelo fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by k1llu View Post
          i guess the fight is not happening GGG and his hos can celebrate another great year of boxing demonic wade. kell broke insert random can because no way al is paying GGG 75% smfh
          DiBella/Haymon put up $5m to host Wilder-Povetkin (WoB trumped that, with their bid of $7.15m, but DiBella/Haymon were ready to reach into the pocket).

What is K2 willing to put up to host the fight, a fight that they've never really been all that interested in hosting in the first place?

Are the willing to risk $4m? $3m to Golovkin (minus maybe $300k-$400k if the King clause exists), $1m to Jacobs, and risk making their money back, likely without PPV? I'm not sure.

Are DiBella/Haymon willing to risk $4m? They've already risked basically that amount on the Jacobs-Quillin fight card, and Golovkin-Jacobs is a bigger fight than even that was.

If securing Daniel Jacobs the biggest fight that he could arguably ask for is going to cost Haymon giving up 75% of a bid (regardless of what the bid actually ends up being, winning the bid gives DiBella/Haymon the rights to the full upsides on the event), I think that Haymon is ready to take that short-term L.

Is K2 willing to take the risk, of putting Golovkin in his toughest fight as a professional, fighting out of the opponent's home venue, on a channel that is in clear competition with K2's preferred broadcaster? who knows

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            Al doesn't have to pay GGG 75%. This is an open bid. Any promoter in good standing with the WBA can bid on the fight
            Originally posted by MDPopescu
            ... Sure: in fact Al doesn't have to pay GGG at all, right? It's an "open bid": Al only has to pay himself and give nothing to the fighters, right?
            Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            I don't understand your question
            No need for you to play stupid...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              All this means is that DiBella/Haymon are going to really commit to putting the money up for Daniel Jacobs' biggest fight ever. Had a brief conversation with OnePunch a while ago (about the possibility that Golovkin could have in his contract with K2 a provision that would allow them to forsake a significant chunk of what his take on a bid could be, in the name of having control of the event), but the stakes just went up.

If K2 continues to hold up the money, DiBella is going to see what Barclays Center is willing to put up to host the fight, Haymon will talk to Stephen Espinoza to see what the Showtime money could possibly look like, the rest of the revenues will be projected out, and DiBella/Haymon will work towards a bid that they view as being more than what K2 is seemingly willing to put up for the fight.

60/40 (assuming that Jacobs' camp is placing their value off of what Golovkin has made in fights) would seem to indicate that $2m to Golovkin/~$1.25m to Jacobs is about where Jacobs and Co are angling for (on the disclosed pay to the fighters).

If K2 isn't even offering that, the bid reaction is going to get messy.
              Delusio2009 at it again. This guy just can't buy a clue

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                That is bull****. GGG should not be making 3x what Jacobs is. He should be making more but certainly not double.
                Jacobs and his team knew the rules and purse bid split well before negotiations began. Haymon/ Jacobs knew exactly what the WBA rules were. It was in Jacobs best interest to strike a deal and avoid the purse bid. He dragged his heels and only has to blame his team and himself for letting it go to purse bid

Comment

• Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                  Triple? How much money do you think this fight is capable of generating? This isn't a huge fight, there's a couple million+ for Gennady and probably $1.5m+ for Danny. Nothing absurd about these figures. Of course if it goes to a purse bid, the 75/25 are the WBA rules and those have been the rules. Everyone knew this going in, which is why it's better for Jacobs to strike a deal.

The problem likely is Danny's side wants money that isn't there - If he still wants "more than two peter quillins" "but less than $10 million" they can't just pull that kind of money out of thin air. There is a realistic ballpark figure that needs to be accepted.
                  ... Or DiBella could put up the money and see whether he can get the money that Daniel Jacobs, to hear you tell it, comfortably believes is there.

Purse bid locks in Golovkin's fee on the fight, leaving DiBella to chase down the revenues; site fee for a likely sellout at Barclays Center, Showtime's investment in the best middleweight fighter that they feature on their channel, what type of monetary interest does Hearn/Sky Sports or BoxNation have in airing #1 vs #2 at middleweight (with Billy Joe Saunders sitting in the wings for a possible unification fight), what the sponsors for the event could look like, etc.

If they believe there's more money for Jacobs than K2 seems willing to offer, the mechanism is in place for then to get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    Yea. I'm very interested in seeing what K2 will bid. It'll clear up a lot of questions. Was Danny asking to much or were they low balling him? I want to see how much value they really think GGG has. Especially after rejecting $10 mil & PPV upside for the Canelo fight.
                    ok so if K2 bids 4M, is that a bad number? how much do you think this fight its worth?

how can you really know exact numbers in negotiations, just according to purse bids?

do you know that Haymon pays his fighters more money outside purses...just to compensate in the case the purse was low...and what I heard is that this would be the same case with Jacobs...K2 wins the bid and haymon pays his fighter more money to compensate.

I just hope this fight get done already...would be a shame if not...but I wont blame the fighters, I would blame the promoters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
                      It's in both of their best interest. Unless a deal is less than a mili, realistically anything short of 5 or something would be bad for Danny. What's 25% of that, like 1.25 M?

The 60/40 was a gamble... so now they're either going to take a deal or sit and wait to see who bids, which I doubt. Unless Al tells them ahead of time he's going big, there's no point.

Also if both of them end up not fighting each other they both go to some crappy opponent. Hurts Jacobs more because even if GGG fights some crappy opponent, it'll still be bigger business than if Jacobs goes back to Reading, PA.

As for if GGG has to fight Blanco, it's the WBA... they may or may not mandate it. They took forever to mandate this crap and every other fight before. If they know it brings them nothing, they won't do crap.

If Danny doesn't take a deal now, he'll probably wait to see the purse bid.... but I doubt unless Al tells them something beforehand they'll be interested because they can calculate 25% of whatever the winning purse bid would have to be to meet the offered deal and their standards... and it'll be a pretty high number
                      DiBella/Haymon don't need to get Jacobs' full purse on the purse bid though; they simply need to bid more that K2 (or any other promoter) is willing to bid.

Golden Boy paid $102k to win the bid for N'Dam-Lemieux; David Lemieux, once all of the revenues came in, made significantly more than his share on a $100k bid.

What type of money can they project to get from Barclays Center (in a site fee or at the box office), how much money is Showtime willing to put up to air the fight (or back the event for SHOPPV), what are the event sponsors looking like, and how much are the UK TV rights for the fight expected to go for?

Answer those 4 questions and you get a good gauge of how big a fight DiBella/Haymon think things could end up. Compare that to what K2 seems willing to put up for the fight (Golovkin isn't going to tell you what he's been offered for the fight, but people talk), and battle with the wallets.

Comment

Working...
                      X