Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump To Rescind Obama Era Guidelines On College Admissions Based On Race

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was challenged by my family, my uncles, my grand parents to achieve. They were too poor to really help me, but I somehow did alright for myself.

I think a lot of youngsters avoid the hard sciences, and go into psychology, social work, etc. unfortunately, we only need a certain amount of psychologists, and social workers.

Many people would have done better for themselves if they learned a trade.

I went to High School with a guy who went to Juilliard, a really talented musician, but he gave that career up and works in IT.
    He owns a small IT consultancy company in Silicon Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
      GTFO with that nonsense.

You have people of color coming here from places like Vietnam, China, and Korea, dirt poor, speaking little English, and 10 years down the road they are owning businesses, driving nice cars, and their kids are getting scholarships.

It ain't about racism.

As another said, it's about a strong family unit, hard work, staying out of trouble, etc.

Racism can't be an excuse, as affirmative action has given anyone 'other than white a white male' a leg up on college admissions and civil service exams.

I didn't say it was because he was black.

I believe he had 2 leg ups; his rich white family (who didn't desert him), and him applying as a foreign exchange student.

That's how an admitted underachiever got into an Ivy League school.

I don't know about your experience in high school, but in mine even our Valedictorian didn't get into an Ivy League school. He went to State college (where he obtained a PhD) And the underachievers often didn't even get into college as well.

Strings were pulled getting Obama into an Ivy League school with his lack of qualifications, and it's only a question of what strings.

I don't know who the hell you are, as you just joined today or yesterday and have only a few posts, and we've never interacted before.

Must be another damn SafeSpace alt.

Jesus dude, get a life.

Your summer vacation is ticking away. It'll be over before you know it, and it's back to school. Is this really how you're going to tell your classmates how you spent your summer????
      👏 well said... mcorps makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
        The liberals are going crazy over this. They are arguing that race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and other superficial factors should dictate who gets into college or gets what job, instead of merit and talent.
        No no.... race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation IS THE SAME AS ANYBODY ELSE. There's no difference!

*Remove any institutional help for these said factors*

TRUMPS A RACIST!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
          I was challenged by my family, my uncles, my grand parents to achieve. They were too poor to really help me, but I somehow did alright for myself.
          Dude, you're supposed to play the victim role.. You're not supposed to talk about how you never felt like you were a victim or the fact that you were a man and didn't complain like a little b*tch.

The libs are not going to be happy with this mindset....

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
            Dude, you're supposed to play the victim role.. You're not supposed to talk about how you never felt like you were a victim or the fact that you were a man and didn't complain like a little b*tch.

The libs are not going to be happy with this mindset....
            Ok, I get it now.

I was discriminated against my whole life, so I never tried hard in school, and I needs free money, and preferential treatment so I can get a degree in Chicano Studies, and my dream is to be given grant money to study how Chicano’s are disadvantaged, because the white man held me back!

If I would have had a fair shake, I’d of been born in a good school district with real teachers! Instead of the ghetto Ebonics I learnt in HS. High School was racist.

Comment

This is great. Now all the deplorables in Michigan, WV etc can get accepted into college. Right after they go back and finish the 5th grade.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
                This is great. Now all the deplorables in Michigan, WV etc can get accepted into college. Right after they go back and finish the 5th grade.
                Trump voters were and are richer than Hillary supporters. Fact.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                  GTFO with that nonsense.

You have people of color coming here from places like Vietnam, China, and Korea, dirt poor, speaking little English, and 10 years down the road they are owning businesses, driving nice cars, and their kids are getting scholarships.

It ain't about racism.

As another said, it's about a strong family unit, hard work, staying out of trouble, etc.

Racism can't be an excuse, as affirmative action has given anyone 'other than white a white male' a leg up on college admissions and civil service exams.

I didn't say it was because he was black.

I believe he had 2 leg ups; his rich white family (who didn't desert him), and him applying as a foreign exchange student.

That's how an admitted underachiever got into an Ivy League school.

I don't know about your experience in high school, but in mine even our Valedictorian didn't get into an Ivy League school. He went to State college (where he obtained a PhD) And the underachievers often didn't even get into college as well.

Strings were pulled getting Obama into an Ivy League school with his lack of qualifications, and it's only a question of what strings.

I don't know who the hell you are, as you just joined today or yesterday and have only a few posts, and we've never interacted before.

Must be another damn SafeSpace alt.

Jesus dude, get a life.

Your summer vacation is ticking away. It'll be over before you know it, and it's back to school. Is this really how you're going to tell your classmates how you spent your summer????
                  I don't have classmates; I'm a teacher. And I'm not even sure I want to continue teaching because I'm not great at group-control. It'll come down to whether I can find another job or not, since I'm applying to others. I'm also not ashamed to admit this because I'm a "monster" in English itself, but I'm just not great at controlling others. "Too nice"

You desperately want me out of here because I own you in debates. Can you let it go? For all the talk about "spending time on here," it always seems like you're spending more time than I am. So, if you're insulting me, you're insulting yourself even more so.

All that Obama college BS is exactly that--BS. Just like that whole made up "Obama gave citizenship to thousands of Iranians as part of the nuclear deal" Fox News fake news propaganda you're also spreading. Jesus to that! Lol He got in because he was smart, and he did not grant citizenship to thousands of Iranians as part of a nuclear deal.

You ignore how privileged the Asian community is in the states as compared to Black people. You ignore the oppression element. Black people can't just open up a business because they can't even get fresh drinking water or avoid being unjustly targeted/arrested. Be fair, man.

And, you know what? I'll give you another personal anecdote, one that should illustrate the holes in your argument.

When I was a kid, I went to a school that, for whatever reason, had White kids in it, too. The education was by far the best I've ever received, even despite being on an elementary grade-level. I had a Chinese friend who was very smart, and I thought all was well. Even back then, I had issues socializing, so I was glad to have him as a friend.

One day, I was asked to read aloud, and for whatever reason I was a bit off that day. Probably, this was because I never got to read aloud outside of school or anything; I wasn't in any extracurricular programs. Well, the teacher just looked at me weird, and next thing I knew I was in some weak mid-day break reading program for about half an hour with some random lady and a couple other kids in a closet-sized room in my school. We didn't really learn much or do anything.

Anyhow, the standardized tests came around eventually, and I ended up being the highest male grade in the entire school for reading. Needless to say, I never was brought to that mid-day program again.

Here's where it gets interesting: Eventually, we took our admission tests for the schools we were interested in. The big goal for everybody was to get into the "Gifted and Talented" school.

The tests came back, and I was accepted, which made me incredibly proud. But, you know what happened? My Chinese friend did not pass the test.

You know what also happened?

He became envious. Not only him, but also the teacher that sent me to that reading program in the first place. She kept saying that he was smarter than I was.

Eventually, my Chinese friend started confronting me with other kids, saying that there must have been different versions of the test, and that I probably got the "easy" one. The other kids with him said he was smarter than I was, too.

What's the lesson here? Despite losing a friend over results, it goes to show how racial stereotypes play into perception. Why was there such an emphasis on his being "smarter" than me? Why, when I scored well on other tests, too?

It didn't hit me until later that stereotypes as to Asian people vs other minorities like me played into what happened there. He was no doubt a smart kid, and I'm sure he's successful today, but there was no need to take things as far as the teacher took them. The responsible path would have been to accept that, just like in the reading test, she underestimated me, as it was due to other aspects (my being a poor minority from a background that didn't allow me to gain much reading experience outside of school).

That's the oppression element. And if you don't take into account that people have to overcome serious obstacles to make it to the same level as other people, then what is the point?

Also, how can you overlook the added value of racial diversity? That is cultural enrichment, which is important toward any kind of education, as well.

By the way, it ultimately turned out that the "Gifted and Talented" school wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Despite being where people "should want" to go, perhaps they meant more like smart minorities. I'm thinking most of my White classmates went on to private, White schools, instead. The school was a mostly Black school, and the teaching quality really went down.

Comment

1bad is still keeping up the lie of the "admitted underachiever"?

Comment

Originally posted by MCorps View Post
                      I don't have classmates; I'm a teacher. And I'm not even sure I want to continue teaching because I'm not great at group-control.
                      There's probably nothing wrong with your "group control", the problem is you're dealing with black and brown kids.

What It's Like To Teach Black Kids

https://www.amren.com/news/2016/08/a...er-speaks-out/

Comment

Working...
                      X