No announcement yet.

Alternatives to running,jumping,and squating

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to running,jumping,and squating

I have always wanted to learn to box and finally started learning about a year ago. I started training hard around January of this year and started having pain after jogging for conditioning in my left hip. I dislocated my hip in a car wreck in 2012, so i figured it was something that had to with that. I went to an orthopedic doctor and he gave me a diagnosis of a torn labrum in my hip. He advised me to keep trying to box but to avoid running,jumping, and heavy weight exercises with my legs. I got a second opinion and this doctor told me that I had arthritis in both hip bust did not have a torn larbrum, he advised me to not run,jump, or lift heavy weights with my legs. I can still do leg curls, dumbbell lunges, calf raises .and leg extensions leg extensions if i do not go all the way ie bringing my kness up to high. I understand Jumping rope and jogging, and making your legs stronger by lunges and other leg exercises are huge parts of training for boxing. I watched an interview with Deontay Wilder where he said that he does not run or jog. I also read about a South American boxer that did not run or jog but swam and used a stair climber machine, this gave me lots of hope. I am really wanting to keep in some amateur boxing matched. I am only 27. Would appreciate any input on this matter. Thanks

A lot of boxers dont run or jog. I believe Mayweather did little to no road work for the bulk of his career and I don't think he squatted either. He built his stamina with those crazy long workouts.

Comment

There is loads of footage of Mayweather doing road work. It's a staple of boxing training.

Comment

I've been getting into marathons a bit and the day or two after really long training runs I'm sometimes too banged up to run, so will do some time on the elliptical or swim laps for 45 minutes or something. The elliptical isn't as good of work as running, but it sort of replicates the motion and is an alright substitute if you want to take it easy on your joints.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          A lot of boxers dont run or jog. I believe Mayweather did little to no road work for the bulk of his career and I don't think he squatted either. He built his stamina with those crazy long workouts.
          He did all his road work in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
            Baaaaaammmmmm!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post

Where is Spoon????

Comment

Stair machine is perfect for boxIng training.

Builds legs way more than running, pushes your heart rate, without the impact on the joints that running causes.

Comment

Originally posted by dannytrantom View Post
                  I have always wanted to learn to box and finally started learning about a year ago. I started training hard around January of this year and started having pain after jogging for conditioning in my left hip. I dislocated my hip in a car wreck in 2012, so i figured it was something that had to with that. I went to an orthopedic doctor and he gave me a diagnosis of a torn labrum in my hip. He advised me to keep trying to box but to avoid running,jumping, and heavy weight exercises with my legs. I got a second opinion and this doctor told me that I had arthritis in both hip bust did not have a torn larbrum, he advised me to not run,jump, or lift heavy weights with my legs. I can still do leg curls, dumbbell lunges, calf raises .and leg extensions leg extensions if i do not go all the way ie bringing my kness up to high. I understand Jumping rope and jogging, and making your legs stronger by lunges and other leg exercises are huge parts of training for boxing. I watched an interview with Deontay Wilder where he said that he does not run or jog. I also read about a South American boxer that did not run or jog but swam and used a stair climber machine, this gave me lots of hope. I am really wanting to keep in some amateur boxing matched. I am only 27. Would appreciate any input on this matter. Thanks
                  This is a good alternative for cardio:

Comment

Find a gym with a Versi-climber, hands down the hardest piece of cv equipment going. Some versions of the crosstrainer are very low impact for longer sessions.

Carl Froch did all his roadwork on a bike because of knee issues I believe, Darren Barker did yoga/Pilates because of bad hips, there’s always a way.

Comment

Working...
                    X