Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OFFICIAL] Who's your favorite boxing commentator and why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [OFFICIAL] Who's your favorite boxing commentator and why?

Been meaning to make this thread for a while now. Like the question states, who do you prefer commentating during the fights you watch. Would you rather have an exciting voice, pumping up the fight as it goes on, or would you rather listen to someone break down the fight?

NOTE: Since you're only allowed to have 10 choices, I omitted Lennox Lewis, Bob Papa, and Gus Johnson.
    HBO - Jim Lampley
    34.67%
    HBO - Max Kellerman
    8.00%
    HBO - Larry Merchant
    25.33%
    HBO - Emanuel Steward
    10.67%
    Showtime - Steve Albert
    0.00%
    Showtime - Al Bernstein
    8.00%
    Showtime - Steve Farhood
    0.00%
    Showtime - Jim Gray
    0.00%
    ESPN - Joe Tessitore
    1.33%
    ESPN - Teddy Atlas
    12.00%

No love for the Colonel, Sheron? He is one of the best out there.

I like Lampley when he's not nut hugging, Al Bernstein I really like (in fact that other guy doing the Froch/Taylor fight was good as well - they were totally impartial that fight which was excellent).

Also how can you not like Larry? Guy is a straight up **** shooter.
    Last edited by Shattered Jaw; 07-27-2009, 04:58 AM.

Comment

i dig bernstein.... the dudes been around through some amazing fights... and as much as i like lampley, at least bernstein doesnt let his mancrushes affect his commentating!

Comment

Without a good blow by blow man a commentary team goes nowhere and I think Lampley is the best in the business so Lampley it is.

Comment

I only heard Colonel Bob once but really enjoyed his commentary, he was very neutral which you think would be a given in commentary but rarely is these days. Being from the UK i always enjoy Richie Woodhall, he talks alot of sense. On the negative, having to listen to Jim Watt through the Khan fight 2 weeks ago was cringeworthy, you'd think it was his son the amount of bias coming from him.

Comment

Originally posted by veteran420 View Post
            i dig bernstein.... the dudes been around through some amazing fights... and as much as i like lampley, at least bernstein doesnt let his mancrushes affect his commentating!
            I was about to explain why I choose merchant until I saw that funny sig of yours then I went LOLED! ahahahahahaha.

Comment

Duke Mckenzie is a DISGRACE to commentary. You only need to watch the Witter/Kotelnik fight to see that.

Comment

Jim Lampley...

Comment

For blow by blow, Lampley is the best.

For insight and hilarious moments, nobody holds a candle to Larry Merchant. Though the older he gets the less insight he seems to bring to the table.

Comment

i'd say lampley...well it is lampley...he's the most unbiased...but he is more of a facilitator and a straight up narrator...i voted for kellermann as a commentator...he seems to speak the real...and even though he's the youngest...he's full of knowledge and doesn't hold his tongue when others dare not to speak...

perfect example was the comment about the judge in the mayweather/de la hoya fight...lets be serious...no one had much to say...but max came in and said that that mother****er should never judge a boxing match again...

i wish the hbo team could have been there for that bute/andrade debacle...

Comment

Working...
                    X