No announcement yet.

Who else thinks that the weight classes in boxing are STUPID

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else thinks that the weight classes in boxing are STUPID

So, if you're a smaller boxer everything's fine and dandy for you, you only have a 5-10lb gap between each weight class but once you get past Light Heavyweight what on earth is with the 25+lb gap?!

Like Cruiserweight is too large for me but Light Heavyweight is probably too small for me? I'm unsure if I can even cut to that... Seems a bit unfair. Will they ever invent a belt that's between the two divisions?

Opinions?
    Last edited by RossyJames; 04-23-2019, 11:22 AM.

its based on a percentage. That's why in the smaller classes there are 3lbs between, then 4, then 5 and so on.

They already created a division between LHW and HW. That IS CW. Heavyweight used to be 176 and up.

Comment

What is your weight and body fat percentage? I doubt there are many cruisers fighting under 200lbs. I'm guessing most are walking around 210 plus.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
        its based on a percentage. That's why in the smaller classes there are 3lbs between, then 4, then 5 and so on.

They already created a division between LHW and HW. That IS CW. Heavyweight used to be 176 and up.
        They need to take Heavyweight back to being 176 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
          What is your weight and body fat percentage? I doubt there are many cruisers fighting under 200lbs. I'm guessing most are walking around 210 plus.
          I'm currently at 202 lbs and I don't feel good so I know that CW won't be for me. I'm dropping in weight, I could drop to lets say 185-180 but I feel anything lower would be a huge struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by RossyJames View Post
            I'm currently at 202 lbs and I don't feel good so I know that CW won't be for me. I'm dropping in weight, I could drop to lets say 185-180 but I feel anything lower would be a huge struggle.
            I've never had to dehydrate myself for a weigh in but my thinking is that at 180-185 you would probably be in good company with LHWs dropping 5-10 pounds for a weigh-in.

Comment

Without a superheavyweight division, this is a stupid idea

Comment

I think the weight classes are pretty good. A lot more divisions means there aren’t guys who get stuck between and don’t really fit in any weight class. Like Jerry Quarry, who would be a cruiserweight today but had to fight HW monsters.

Comment

There is no reason, other than self preservation, that a 176lb fighter could not fight as a heavyweight now. At the weigh in, you will not be disqualified for being too skinny. They won't send you away to eat donuts so you can come back and try again.

Comment

You know I started out at 165 and when I would spar with a 178 lb guy the weight and strength could seem insurmountable at times but when I grew older I landed at 201 and sometimes at smokers they would say 205 give or take a pound so I would still have to make weight but then there would be to many guys that showed up at that weight and I would have to fight a sh 30or 40pounds over my weight and it didn’t bother me nowhere as much as that ten or so pounds at 165.Even sparring the big guys didn’t bother me as much.

Comment

Working...
                    X