Hearn wants Froch-Groves II at Wembley, Groves financial split only issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoz View Post
    Why not use the Emirates, then?
    Why not use Wembley in case there's bigger demand they have the option of expanding.

Comment

The fight must happen, hopefully they reach an agreement and set a date soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
        He's not intending a sell-out, aiming for 60-70k.

Personally I think it's a huge fight, that's only going to get bigger as they go at each other on TV in the build-up.
        There are plenty of smaller stadiums in London. What's the point of fighting in a massive stadium that you can't sell-out? Wembley is a soulless venue, too.

EDIT: Just look at Haye-Chisora. Despite all the hype, it failed to sell-out Upton Park (35,000).
        Last edited by yoz; 12-26-2013, 04:28 AM.

Comment

There are plenty of smaller stadiums in London. What's the point of fighting in a massive stadium that you can't sell-out? Wembley is a soulless venue, too.
          I don't know, maybe they're aiming for the post-war attendance record. It's only Hearn talking at this point.

EDIT: Just look at Haye-Chisora. Despite all the hype, it failed to sell-out Upton Park (35,000).
          35,000 for Chisora is actually pretty good considering no one knew who Chisora was until just a couple of months before. Froch-Groves already have the publicity of the first fight behind them.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 12-26-2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

He wants a 50/50 split.
            well he's an idiot then

Comment

Froch's going to reject it. Sky Sports:
              --
              George Groves' hopes of a rematch with Carl Froch look set to be dashed after the champion accused the Londoner of behaving like a "spoilt little kid".

Groves told Sky Sports News, in an exclusive interview which was screened on Christmas Day, that a rematch was top of his wish list for the new year.

The 25-year-old said he still feels the pain and injustice of his defeat to Froch in Manchester in November.

But Nottingham-based Froch, who retained his IBF and WBA world super-middleweight titles after a controversial ninth-round stoppage, is reluctant to hand Groves another shot.

Froch is quoted in the Daily Express as saying: "There is a real stink of hypocrisy about this because George Groves has been telling anyone who would listen I have a duty to fight him.

"I beat him fair and square. The referee stopped the contest and there is no argueing about the fact he was down and out.

"Did Groves hand James DeGale a rematch when they fought a few years ago in a close one? I didn't hear Groves going on about duty back then.

"Then Joe Calzaghe bleats on about rematches. I didn't see him give Robin Reid a rematch, or Bernard Hopkins. Yet I stopped a voluntary challenger and I'm supposed to hand him a rematch.

"I'm very reluctant to hand Groves a pay-day, especially when he behaves like an idiot all the time.

"I don't like him as he has absolutely no respect, no class and is a spoilt kid.

"Of course he wants to fight me again as he wants to make a killing. But why should I? I'm the champion and that means I call the shots."
              --

Not totally accurate when he says he was voluntary, and suggesting that nobody was arguing that he was down and out. Everybody is arguing.

I want to travel for this fight, pay good money for seats and watch it again. The atmosphere in the arena was sick, and a rematch would satisfy the casuals, hardcores and sky execs. The only people on here who don't want the rematch are butthurt Carl Froch fans.

Is Groves a hypocrite? Perhaps. I don't care. I want it again because it was a good fight without a conclusive ending, if that ending was to be Groves splattered on the canvas, so be it.

Comment

Froch must have laughed his head off when he heard Groves wants 50/50.

Comment

Wembley has a roof -- you need that in London...

Ward wanted the Froch rematch at Wembley; Khan wanted the Floyd fight at Wembley...

Comment

Really hope the rematch happens, barring another robbery, Groves wins handily.

Btw who's the bird in your signature, TS?

Comment

Haha I would love the rematch to happen at the Emirates, it's like 30 seconds away from my house. I'd definitely go.

Comment

Working...
                      X