No announcement yet.

Alexis Arguello or Wilfredo Gomez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anisha35 View Post
    Who do you believe was the better fighter? Wilfredo Gomez was a champion at Super Bantam, Feather and Supefeatherweight. He was a massive puncher with good lateral movement a decent body attack, but could be lethargic sometimes (see fight with Azumah Nelson). Alexis Arguello was a champ at Feather, Super Feather and Lightweight (the first 3 weight world champ.
    Who do you think had the better resume?
    Arguello. Also thinks he wins a fight between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
      The weight where he was REALLY looking like a killer was at 140...

I'd also argue that if Gomez weren't so in love w/ his power by the point he met Sal, and the Caldwell fight had already happened, we might have seen a very different out-come. Not saying Gomez pulls a Willie Pep performance, or we see a Featherweight version of Mayweather-Alvarez, but the way the fight happened is not how it HAD to happen. Not at all.

hats off to Sal for making the most of it, though. Epic performance.
      Don't agree 140 was AA best. He did have a GREAT performance vs Pryor in 1st, but after that where did he look like a killer? 2nd fight he was done and quit and the other name I can think of is Costello where he was losing until he caught him. AA was at his best at 130 imo and he has some very good scalps at that weight. Even at 135 he was slowing down and Mancini gave him a pretty good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
        Don't agree 140 was AA best. He did have a GREAT performance vs Pryor in 1st, but after that where did he look like a killer? 2nd fight he was done and quit and the other name I can think of is Costello where he was losing until he caught him. AA was at his best at 130 imo and he has some very good scalps at that weight. Even at 135 he was slowing down and Mancini gave him a pretty good fight.
        1) As Arguello got bigger, his competition got better.

2) Costello fought him at Welterweight, AFTER the wars w/ Pryor at Jr. Welterweight.

3) At 140 he avenged his loss to fernandez.

3) At 130 Arguello struggled w/ Chacon and Castillo. Fernandez beat him - putting the kibbash on a fight w/ Duran.

Really, he was always trying to impose his size on smaller men. It worked ... kinda. As he filled out, he lost his size advantage but he performed better. His long ring career and penchant for mixing it up finally took its toll on him, though.

If he met Pryor at 135, and Pryor's corner wasn't working any funny business, I don't doubt that Arguello would have proceeded to become one of the greatest Jr. Welterweights of all-time.

Comment

1) As Arguello got bigger, his competition got better.

2) Costello fought him at Welterweight, AFTER the wars w/ Pryor at Jr. Welterweight.

3) At 140 he avenged his loss to fernandez.

3) At 130 Arguello struggled w/ Chacon and Castillo. Fernandez beat him - putting the kibbash on a fight w/ Duran.

Really, he was always trying to impose his size on smaller men. It worked ... kinda. As he filled out, he lost his size advantage but he performed better. His long ring career and penchant for mixing it up finally took its toll on him, though.

If he met Pryor at 135, and Pryor's corner wasn't working any funny business, I don't doubt that Arguello would have proceeded to become one of the greatest Jr. Welterweights of all-time.
          Fernandez was a bit long in tooth by that point, and Costello was a jr welter the fight may have been over the limit but it was 140pd match. I love AA but 140 was not his best and Chacon was a top fighter and Castillo was good too. The only impressive performance at 140 was 1st Pryor fight. I do agree that the result might have been changed if no "bottle I mixed", but AA's career was winding down and don't see him becoming ATG at 140. There is nothing to suggest that. He was slowing down a bit by 135.

Comment

Fernandez was a bit long in tooth by that point, and Costello was a jr welter the fight may have been over the limit but it was 140pd match. I love AA but 140 was not his best and Chacon was a top fighter and Castillo was good too. The only impressive performance at 140 was 1st Pryor fight. I do agree that the result might have been changed if no "bottle I mixed", but AA's career was winding down and don't see him becoming ATG at 140. There is nothing to suggest that. He was slowing down a bit by 135.
            Again, what evidence do you have for that? His opposition was getting better, that's what changed.

Comment

Again, what evidence do you have for that? His opposition was getting better, that's what changed.
              The evidence I already pointed out. He has NO big wins at 140. He was slowing down a bit by 135 when Mancini gave him a VERY tough fight and was dropped and barley beat Jose L Ramirez. His comp at 130 was the best he ever faced at ANY division. Escalera, Boza, Limon, Chacon, Navarette ALL champs and a undefeated Castillo who later would go the distance in a VERY competitive fight with S Sanchez. What more do you need? If your not familiar with those 130pders I suggest you check them out.

Comment

When these guys fought, it was a Great era for boxing in those divisions. I don't see a point of comparison for these two. Very different fighters.

People do fill out and options become limited, regardless of one's best fighting weight.

Comment

The evidence I already pointed out. He has NO big wins at 140. He was slowing down a bit by 135 when Mancini gave him a VERY tough fight and was dropped and barley beat Jose L Ramirez. His comp at 130 was the best he ever faced at ANY division. Escalera, Boza, Limon, Chacon, Navarette ALL champs and a undefeated Castillo who later would go the distance in a VERY competitive fight with S Sanchez. What more do you need? If your not familiar with those 130pders I suggest you check them out.
                  Like almost every other discussion you're involved with, this has become about you digging in your heels and trying to make things true because you want to believe them.

Castillo would fight a FEATHERweight not known for his power. While Mancini would hold a piece of the Lightweight title. His quick KO of Chacon is one of his career highlights.

Who amongst Arguello's opponents at 130 was as good as Watt?

He seems to coast in the final rounds against Watt. There's different explanations for that: 1) didn;t wanna add insult to injury in the man's own house; 2) too much of a gentleman; 3) it was a foreshadowing of what was to come against Pryor - he took off when he knew he had a fight won. amybe there's an interview where he explains the decision?

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  When these guys fought, it was a Great era for boxing in those divisions. I don't see a point of comparison for these two. Very different fighters.

People do fill out and options become limited, regardless of one's best fighting weight.
                  Arguello managed his career (and life) waaaaaaay better. Way better. Did I happen to mention Arguello managed things better?

Guys like Arguello and Michael Spinks lead to the even more generous weigh-in periods, though.

Wrestlers are to blame. I take full accountability. But Boxing began to cash in on it based on the multi-division success of guys like Spinks and Arguello.

can you imagine if they came of age in earlier generations? Some many Heavyweights would have had their way w/ Spinks. Can you imagine arguello building up a ridiculous record if he were thrown in there w/ a true Lightweight great? Ross, McLarnin, Williams, Ortiz, Armstrong, Angott: which one do you see him beating?

What champion Michael's size do you see him beating? Maybe Charles and Ingo?

Comment

Like almost every other discussion you're involved with, this has become about you digging in your heels and trying to make things true because you want to believe them.

Castillo would fight a FEATHERweight not known for his power. While Mancini would hold a piece of the Lightweight title. His quick KO of Chacon is one of his career highlights.

Who amongst Arguello's opponents at 130 was as good as Watt?

He seems to coast in the final rounds against Watt. There's different explanations for that: 1) didn;t wanna add insult to injury in the man's own house; 2) too much of a gentleman; 3) it was a foreshadowing of what was to come against Pryor - he took off when he knew he had a fight won. amybe there's an interview where he explains the decision?

Arguello managed his career (and life) waaaaaaay better. Way better. Did I happen to mention Arguello managed things better?

Guys like Arguello and Michael Spinks lead to the even more generous weigh-in periods, though.

Wrestlers are to blame. I take full accountability. But Boxing began to cash in on it based on the multi-division success of guys like Spinks and Arguello.

can you imagine if they came of age in earlier generations? Some many Heavyweights would have had their way w/ Spinks. Can you imagine arguello building up a ridiculous record if he were thrown in there w/ a true Lightweight great? Ross, McLarnin, Williams, Ortiz, Armstrong, Angott: which one do you see him beating?

What champion Michael's size do you see him beating? Maybe Charles and Ingo?
                    Lets look at Broner. If Broner could make lightweight he might have had some special chops fighting in the pocket and using his power. he simply could not stay in that weight class. Ultimately for Broner, this determined his destiny as a fighter. Broner gave the illusion he has a choice, and he tried to cherry pick weak belts... But all the king's horses and all the King's men, could not put Adrien back together again when Madona showed him a punch from the higher divisions...

A fighter does not always have the option of managing certain things...For every Andre Ward, Arguello there is a Broner.

Comment

I really liked both fighters when they were fighting. Both fought good fighters but Arguello fought a higher level of competition.

Not related but Arguello was also a respectful but colorful character. It was very hard not to respect and like him.

Comment

Working...
                      X