Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do heavier modern heavyweights hit harder than lighter heavyweights from the 80's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaxT View Post
    There are different big man.

Some guys are BIG: big boned, wide body, muscles and mass due to some excess of HGH

Like this one:

Or this

Or that

But many nowadays "big guys" are themself a puny crusiers or light heavies who get a lot of mass by high protein diet, weight training and avoiding long aerobic activities (like running, bag work and sparrings).

They are not BIGGER than guys from 80-s or 60-s, they just refuse to cut weight, get in prime condition to aerobic sport, insted they use all bodybuilders arsenal (including HGT and steroids) to get and keep additional mass.

Besides, size affect punchpower in different ways.

First, when you are big, even yours armpunches can hurt. Guy like Valuev don't need to step in with jab, twist body in it, "lay" on it or something else - he just trow his hairy forearm and, if you slow/stupid enouth to stay in path of punch or roll on it, you get hit comparable in power to police ram.

Secondly, mass give you A LOT of inertia. When you hit something hevier thay you realy hard and do not have a stable stance at moment of impact, you are litteraly "pushed back" by your own punch. As result a lot of punch energy goes in you direction. Being big and BIGGER than opponent reduce that problem.

Thirdly, big guys have BIG troubles with using their body in punches. Realy big guys (like Valuev) can trow only armpunches, they are just unable to land a real power shot on movable target.

In fact you don;t have to be big as Valuev to loose ability to trow realy hard punches. Many big guys (like Dimitrenko, Grant or Tucker) do not have real power and winning fights on armpunches alone.

Look at Kubrat Pulev. He is realy big (tall, big boned, muscular) and relatively fast, but he as pillow fisted as such big guy can be.
    I like your understanding. for years I have tried to get people to distinguish "big" from weighty...and here you come and also make a case for it. I just get tired of these threads and its nice to have at least one other person...there are others as well, who make real distinctions.

Heres a fresh analogy, instead of saying again how size manifests in so any ways:

We are mammals. Dogs have similarities with regard to size. A pitbull can not weigh nearly as much as a bigger dog but because of where the weight is, makes them a "big dog." You can have a guy who is 190 and solid and a guy with muscle mass all over who is not so strong... Just as with dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyhands420 View Post
      Id say its hard to determine. Shavers seems to be the hardest hitter of that era. Theres a ton of people that say wladimir hits the hardest as well so itd be interesting to know amongst people of elite status from different eras. I think shavers and klitschko are evenly matched. One throws straight punches and the throws shorts
      Ray Mercer said after he fought Wladimir that Lennox hit harder but he said the guy that hit him the hardest was Tommy Morrison. Mercer been in the ring with some very big hitters. You get different opinions from different fighters.

Comment

Sandy Saddler was a big, big man for his size.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
          Ray Mercer said after he fought Wladimir that Lennox hit harder but he said the guy that hit him the hardest was Tommy Morrison. Mercer been in the ring with some very big hitters. You get different opinions from different fighters.
          - -What you on today,Joe?

Wlad BTFO, knocked him down and literally pulped him until the ref saved Mercer from Brain damage.

He took Lewis to the brink to loser a majority decision that the crowd booed.

Wlad was publicly campaigning for Lewis who was publicly ducking the Ks.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/L...vs._Ray_Mercer

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -Several misconceptions probably born of lumping in the average with the inevitable exceptions to the average.

Boxing technically ain't aerobic because of the 1 min rest period between rds any more than it's a strength contest.

And this notion that you have to have a high protein diet while eschewing aerobic training to gain muscle mass I have personally disproved. Maybe in general, but definitely not for me and many others.

Most jabs are arm punches and acknowledged as the most effective punch for obvious reasons. The misguided notion that you have to torque or jump into every punch is silly putty.

Valuev was quite quick in his Youth. Contender Ice John Scully called him the fastest big man he'd ever seen. He slowed down as he aged because of his growth condition that required retirement and surgery to save his life.
            Great insights. Every one of them.

Especially about Valuev. I never heard that.

Nice point about the jab, too.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              - -What you on today,Joe?

Wlad BTFO, knocked him down and literally pulped him until the ref saved Mercer from Brain damage.

He took Lewis to the brink to loser a majority decision that the crowd booed.

Wlad was publicly campaigning for Lewis who was publicly ducking the Ks.

https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/L...vs._Ray_Mercer
              What am I on? Watch the old HBO telecast in the post fight interview. He said it right there. He told Merchant that Lennox hit harder. He also said I'm 41 so Wlad can take whatever he wants from the fight. Lennox never ducked him... lol! He was actually out scouting him several times including the Corrie Sanders embarrassment. That is why Lennox never fought him then & a year later after a couple wins he lost the Brewster fight so that sealed the deal for his shot at Lennox. I have all these fights. Just because Mercer got dropped by Wlad doesn't mean he hit harder. He was 41 against Wlad & 35 against Lennox. As I said before Mercer KO'd Morrison in his prime but said Morrison hit him harder than any other HW. I also think Botha said Tyson hit him harder than anyone & he fought Wlad, Tyson & Lennox. As I said before different fighters have different opinions on who hit them the hardest.
              Last edited by joe strong; 10-10-2019, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                Great insights. Every one of them.

Especially about Valuev. I never heard that.

Nice point about the jab, too.
                Giagantism...Andre the Giant also and the robot in this film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iF5sINVns

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                  What am I on? Watch the old HBO telecast in the post fight interview. He said it right there. He told Merchant that Lennox hit harder. He also said I'm 41 so Wlad can take whatever he wants from the fight. Lennox never ducked him... lol! He was actually out scouting him several times including the Corrie Sanders embarrassment. That is why Lennox never fought him then & a year later after a couple wins he lost the Brewster fight so that sealed the deal for his shot at Lennox. I have all these fights. Just because Mercer got dropped by Wlad doesn't mean he hit harder. He was 41 against Wlad & 35 against Lennox. As I said before Mercer KO'd Morrison in his prime but said Morrison hit him harder than any other HW. I also think Botha said Tyson hit him harder than anyone & he fought Wlad, Tyson & Lennox. As I said before different fighters have different opinions on who hit them the hardest.
                  - -Mercer just got BTFO, so interviewing postmortem fighters ain't a reliable indicator of what they actually know.

Pt being that Mercer took it to Lewis big time. LL also sold his IBF and WBA to Byrd and Ruiz thru DKing for millions, a good biz decision maybe, but not legacy wise.

Nobody of that generation wanted the Ks.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Giagantism...Andre the Giant also and the robot in this film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iF5sINVns
                    Lock Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                      So according to most boxing experts and pro boxers themselves, they would say the hardest punchers of all time are

1) Shavers (210)

2) Lyle (220)

3) George Foreman (220 - 226) when he fought lyle and ali so prime thats at his peak, he later when on to be 260 in his fight vs holy field

But where do guys like Tua, Wlad, the big modern old Foreman, and other punchers that are 240 plus where do they fit? Are they more powerful or less, can the 210 pound guys really hit harder?

Also a throw back would be Deontay whos sparking everyone out and hes light like the 80's heavyweight, he is also a point of consideration. (as is foreman who came from teh 80's fought in teh modern era fought light and heavy)

Did foreman hit harder as his heavy self or as his lighter self?

Does 20-30 pounds really matter much? Deontay seems to get by without it just fine. (211) pounds
                      - -Are Alex the Kids dummer today than they were yesterday?

Comment

Working...
                      X