No announcement yet.

Anthony Yardes unbelievably strange Mittwork *VIDEO*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
    I get that it can help hand eye coordination but so can the double end bag and speed bag which is their main purpose.

Him throwing these bizarre punches/backhands is just going to further ingrain and reinforce that weird asss technique in training and in an actual fight. It is seriously bizarre and then the fact that his trainer is cool with it is even weirder lol. Like yea, lets train our backhands today to prepare for the biggest fight of our lives next month.

A lot of this is catch & shoot counterpunching reflex work and reaction timing. Some of its definitely bizarre but I have to assume it has a purpose I simply don't understand as I get it for most part.

If Yarde wins he'll likely be heralded a genius if he losses he becomes a laughing stock I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      Sergio Martinez barely sparred at all.
      never knew that given how late he started thats a surprise

Comment

When he knocks out Kovalev I expect a lot of kids will copy this style in the gym.

Comment

Another trainer ripping off Mayweathers mitt routine and putting their own spin on it.

Hand-eye coordination/reflex drill.

Its unorthodox I like it when people think outside the box and get creative and can certainly see them working on certain stuff but some of these transitions are just bizarre and I'll be honest I have no idea WTF that weird sort of upjab he throws is in aid of.
          Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
          I get that it can help hand eye coordination but so can the double end bag and speed bag which is their main purpose.

Him throwing these bizarre punches/backhands is just going to further ingrain and reinforce that weird asss technique in training and in an actual fight. It is seriously bizarre and then the fact that his trainer is cool with it is even weirder lol. Like yea, lets train our backhands today to prepare for the biggest fight of our lives next month.
          They are clearly using the pads in a different way than they are traditionally used. Without knowing what they are trying to achieve with that routine, it's impossible to say whether it will be effective or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
            No, thats his mit work, apparantly he doesnt spar either (presumably bcos hes packing glass)
            Isn't sparring for this fight or in general? Because I know I've seen some interview with a TMT fighter saying he came to the Mayweather gym and put a beating on everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
              ... this kind of "mitt routine" is acting somehow like "Ars Memoriae"...

(in case some of you actually know what this was/is all about)...
              Well, I had to look it up, but you could be onto something there - building muscle memory and practicing the selection of ingrained or memorised options in order to react quickly and instinctively to different situations in a fight.

A lot of boxing training could be described in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                No, thats his mit work, apparantly he doesnt spar either (presumably bcos hes packing glass)
                Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                Yeah I read the sparring thing last week and it blew me away. So this guy is training for the ****ing Krusher doing no sparring and that mitt work...and I could swear I read that his manager is also who’s training him?
                Originally posted by davef View Post
                has there ever been a top level fighter or champion who did zero sparring in training camp?

Calzaghe was rumoured to have never sparred for 11 years thats only case I can think of even though I think thats BS
                Sergio Martinez barely sparred at all.
                Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                Isn't sparring for this fight or in general? Because I know I've seen some interview with a TMT fighter saying he came to the Mayweather gym and put a beating on everyone.
                He does spar, but only controlled sparring - no "free sparring" or "gym wars".

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu
                  ... this kind of "mitt routine" is acting somehow like "Ars Memoriae"...

(in case some of you actually know what this was/is all about)...

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                  Well, I had to look it up, but you could be onto something there - building muscle memory and practicing the selection of ingrained or memorized options in order to react quickly and instinctively to different situations in a fight.

A lot of boxing training could be described in that way.
                  ... "Ars Memoriae" really is some "ancient" way of putting things in place...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    ... "Ars Memoriae" really is some "ancient" way of putting things in place...
                    You know what I'm talking about man ... you know what I'm talking about!

"The art of memory (Latin: ars memoriae) is any of a number of loosely associated mnemonic principles and techniques used to organize memory impressions, improve recall, and assist in the combination and 'invention' of ideas." ~ Wikipedia.

"What's understood, it don't need to be said" ~ Deontay Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                      He does spar, but only controlled sparring - no "free sparring" or "gym wars".
                      What the hell is free sparring?

Comment

Working...
                      X