Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing in movies

Nice read. Thoughts?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/colum...MGK5gEobM.html
    Last edited by jackblack008; 12-13-2020, 10:48 AM.

Been a while since I've seen it but Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe had the most realistic boxing scenes I've seen in film.

Comment

"Play It to the Bone" with Antonio Banderas and Woody Harrelson has some of the worst boxing I've ever seen in a movie. It's also an all around awful film in every possible way.

Comment

Originally posted by BackToTheJab View Post
        Been a while since I've seen it but Cinderella Man with Russell Crowe had the most realistic boxing scenes I've seen in film.
        I agree. Cinderella Man has some excellently choreographed and shot boxing scenes. The film's portrayal of Max Baer's character and personality is downright shameful, but they got the fight scenes right.

Comment

I love me some Rocky, I also watched Cinderella Man and Somebody Up There Loves Me

Comment

Originally posted by BackToTheJab View Post
            Eh. When I'm watching a film I want exaggerated sh^t more than I want realistic sh^t. I don't dig the Fast & Furious series for its realistic take on what a car can do or what one can do via a car. I don't need realistic boxing in a film. Its highly overrated.

Rocky is one of the best boxing films ever made, to hardcore boxing fans, casual boxing fans & non-boxing fans, & its got some of the least realistic boxing in it. Its a small part of what makes a boxing film entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Eh. When I'm watching a film I want exaggerated sh^t more than I want realistic sh^t. I don't dig the Fast & Furious series for its realistic take on what a car can do or what one can do via a car. I don't need realistic boxing in a film. Its highly overrated.

Rocky is one of the best boxing films ever made, to hardcore boxing fans, casual boxing fans & non-boxing fans, & its got some of the least realistic boxing in it. Its a small part of what makes a boxing film entertaining.
              yeah agree mate...has some brilliant training scenes but the fighting inside the ring is not realistic but I suppose they had to make it dramatic and Rocky is more about the character and his struggles than the actual fight at the end.
              Great characters and considering that Stallone actually wrote the screen play it’s pretty amazing to say the least and also his insistence in playing the lead role when he was an unknown actor.
              Stallone is Rocky Balboa

Comment

Love the Rocky series its just them sounds on there when they get hit are like cinderblocks lol

Comment

IMO one of the best recent movies is The Fighter, with Mark Wahlberg as Micky Ward and Christian Bale as Dicky Eklund, Sugar Ray Leonard as himself and Mickey O'Keefe (Ward's trainer) as himself.

For older movies, I would always go for Cinderella man (good ring scenes) and Raging Bull (with not so realistic fight scenes but nevertheless great movie).

Comment

Also worth to mention real fighters acting in movies about boxing:
                    - James Toney as Joe Frazier in Ali (2001)
                    - Tony Bellew as 'Pretty' Ricky Conlan in Creed
                    - Tommy Morrison as Tommy Gunn in Rocky V.

Comment

Working...
                    X