Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather aims to enhance his legacy against Mosley

Mayweather aims to enhance his legacy against Mosley

Reuters | 56 Minutes Ago

Already accepted as one of the greatest boxers of any era, Floyd Mayweather has set his sights on adding further gloss to his glittering career instead of acquiring more titles.

The six-times world champion will face fellow American Shane Mosley in an eagerly anticipated welterweight clash in Las Vegas on May 1 when his opponent’s WBA crown will not be on the line.

"I did not want to fight for the WBA title," Mayweather said on Thursday during a teleconference call with reporters. "At this point, it’s all about enhancing my legacy.

"I’ve done a lot of things in this sport, things that a lot of fighters weren’t able to do in the sport and didn’t do in the sport. This fight with Shane Mosley will enhance my legacy."

Renowned for his superb defence, lightning speed and brash talking, Mayweather is unbeaten in a 40-fight professional career that includes 25 knockouts.

While describing Mosley (46-5, 39 knockouts) as "a solid welterweight with great accomplishments," he scoffed at the notion his opponent would be able to dent his unblemished record.

"Like I have always said before ... there is no remedy on how to beat Floyd Mayweather," he said. "Everyone is trying to solve the problem.

MATHS PROBLEM

"It’s like a difficult maths problem that can’t no one solve. No one can solve it. The ultimate goal is try to solve the problem. How to beat Floyd Mayweather? I know what I have to go out there and do."

Mosley, a former IBF lightweight champion, is also known for his hand and foot speed but Mayweather bristled when asked to highlight the similarities between the two boxers.

"We are totally different," said the undefeated five-division world champion. "He’s a fighter that always worries about landing one big shot, he worries about who is extremely strong.

"And I worry about being smart and winning. We approach fights in two totally different ways. When I shoot my shots, I am looking at my opponent. When Shane punches, a lot of times he closes his eyes."

Mayweather, who prides himself on being one of the best prepared boxers of his era, promised fans a fight to savour at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 1.

"I have showed the world that I am always in tip-top shape and I am in the best condition," said the 33-year-old who outclassed Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez in his most recent bout in September after a 21-month retirement.

"I am pretty sure Shane is going to be in good condition. We are going to put on one hell of a show on May 1 come the fight."

Good read. Hopefully this means more good fights from him in the future. With or without Pac.

Comment

whatever happened to "legacy dont pay the bills"?

Comment

should be a good fight..

Comment

http://fighthype.com/pages/content7458.html

this is a full interview....recommend to all.

Comment

Originally posted by -GDS- View Post
            Good read. Hopefully this means more good fights from him in the future. With or without Pac.

i think his intention is 1 or max 2 big fights a year......and only maybe 3 or 4 more fights. he wants to enhance his legacy and build his bank to a point where even with his stupidity with $$$$$ it would take some serious spending to burn through.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
              i think his intention is 1 or max 2 big fights a year......and only maybe 3 or 4 more fights. he wants to enhance his legacy and build his bank to a point where even with his stupidity with $$$$$ it would take some serious spending to burn through.
              Yeah, that sounds about right. Hopefully Shane and Pac this year, then at least 2, I hope 4 fights later

Comment

Well hopefully he is remember as a legend but im hoping shane beats his arse!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
                  whatever happened to "legacy dont pay the bills"?

it's pretty clear his priorities are:

- Self-preservation
                  - Money
                  - Legacy

and let me tell u and every1 else.........every boxers number 1 priority is money.........to think otherwise is naive. People need to grow up, wake up, smell the coffee. Legacy is just a by product of fighting big money fights. Right now Pac and SSM are the biggest moeny fights for Floyd.....and they just happen to also be the 2 biggest legacy enhancing fights also.....the isn't a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
                    http://fighthype.com/pages/content7458.html

this is a full interview....recommend to all.
                    That was a pretty good interview, can't wait til May 1st.

Comment

Working...
                    X