Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training or nutrition advise for someone with bad lungs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training or nutrition advise for someone with bad lungs?

This is just a general question, nothing to do with boxing.

Someone I know had pneumonia as a child, has asthma and had pleurisy less than a year ago. She had a chest infection a while back, and her lungs are still bad, lots of coughing etc, even though the infection is now gone.

The main advice given previously is to drink more water(done), take vitamin C(done) and to try and swim more, but this isn't really possible because she's allergic to chlorine.

Any advice on particular foods, health supplements, exercise or anything else would be appreciated.

Thanks

dang, thats a bit like my younger brother (asthma, allegies).
    i would recommend to eat very healthily, because she wont be able to do much CV activity.
    I think resistance training, low weights, high reps could be good for her.
    She could try jogging but she should be ultra careful, bringing her inhaler, plenty of water and her epi-pen (just incase)

Comment

I'm thinking that if she wants a cardiovascular workout, but can't have it be so strenuous as to exert pressure on her lungs, she should just try walking. I remember my dad telling me that he read somewhere that just walking is supposed to be better for your heart than jogging. Unfortunately, for many of us here, we run/jog because we need it for stamina in the ring, not to do wonders for our heart.

So I suggest she just start walking everyday - maybe for like 30 minutes a time. I guess it can't really be considered a workout, but based on what you said, I just don't know how much pressure her asthma allows her to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post

Someone I know had pneumonia as a child, has asthma and had pleurisy less than a year ago. She had a chest infection a while back, and her lungs are still bad, lots of coughing etc, even though the infection is now gone.

The main advice given previously is to drink more water(done), take vitamin C(done) and to try and swim more, but this isn't really possible because she's allergic to chlorine.

Any advice on particular foods, health supplements, exercise or anything else would be appreciated.

Thanks
        she can swim in the sea?

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post

Thanks
          Run run run! I have asthma, the best thing is just to run. Get your lung capacity up so that your conditioning allows you to overcome your disability.

I know I'll never have the lungs of a non-asthmatic person, but I have better lungs than most people I fight because I run so much.

Comment

get het to go walkin and eat good, maybe a light jog but make sure she goes with a buddy and takes her asthma emergency stuff incase she has an attack

Comment

Working...
            X