Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times was Liston down in his career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times was Liston down in his career?

Other than against Ali and Leotis Martin, how many times was Sonny Liston floored in his career?

Those are the only two cases that I know of, that guy had a granite chin

Comment

Originally posted by -IronMike- View Post
      Those are the only two cases that I know of, that guy had a granite chin
      Yeah nobody else knocked him down, Liston was and is severely underrated

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
        Yeah nobody else knocked him down, Liston was and is severely underrated
        I agree he had a great jab, could slip punches and was tight defensively. The guy used Foreman as a sparring partner, lol
        Last edited by Toney616; 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

He was also briefly down against Marty Marshall early on in his career, with Liston's glove touching the canvas. It was not said to be a serious knockdown.

Comment

I heard that Marshall was a bit of a joker in the ring that night and Liston got clocked when he opened his mouth to laugh. Didn't he suffer some jaw damage?

Liston got his payback in the return.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              I heard that Marshall was a bit of a joker in the ring that night and Liston got clocked when he opened his mouth to laugh. Didn't he suffer some jaw damage?

Liston got his payback in the return.
              Yes,Liston suffered a broken jaw in his 1st fight with veteran Marty Marshall "early" in his career.He fought almost the entire fight with a broken jaw,and in the 10th and final round he was hitting Marshall so hard that Marshall stepped out of the ring!

Yes,Liston twice defeated Marshall in return bouts.Knocking him out in one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                Other than against Ali and Leotis Martin, how many times was Sonny Liston floored in his career?
                I don't count Liston's knockdowns against Ali or Martin.He threw the 2nd fight with Muhammad Ali and was 40 years old against Martin.

The only time he was down was "early" in his career against veteran Marty Marshall.And that was barley a knock down with just Liston's glove touching the canvas.

Comment

At first I thought it was an excuse on the part of Liston but after watching Marty Marshall "box" I can certainly see why his style would amuse his opponents.

Comment

a good chin, seen tougher. strong minded until real pressure was on- then some guys choke sometimes as he did. excellant heavyweight no doubt- a bit of a choke artist- no doubt

Comment

Working...
                    X