Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put Sonny Liston in Tyson/Holyfield's era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Sonny always had a problem with tall fighters; so, I would give Lewis the edge. On the other hand, Liston, just like Foreman, beats any HW 6' tall or under; so, I would bet on Sonny or George to beat Tyson, Frazier and even Marciano.
    Last edited by mikeg1224; 11-25-2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Yeah, good point. Liston probably murders almost everyone from the '80s and most in the '90s, except Lewis, if he can protect his chin, which Stewart helped him to do (along with Wlad) and maybe Foreman, who was also heavy handed, maybe even more heavy handed than Liston.
      foreman was liston's protege, that wouldve been a crazy fight to watch.

i dont think holyfield would have beat liston, u literally had to avoid contact to last in a fight with him, like Ali did. holyfield is decent at defense, but his defense is different. he invites contact in his defense and liston wouldve hit him all over.

liston vs tyson is interesting though. im not sure who wins that, but im aiming towards mike tyson smothering liston-getting inside his reach and lighting up combos. being quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by shawn_w_smith View Post
        He would have crushed Tyson, first of all.

via GIPHY

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg1224 View Post
          I think Sonny always had a problem with tall fighters; so, I would give Lewis the edge. On the other hand, Liston, just like Foreman, beats any HW 6' tall or under; so, I would bet on Sonny or George to beat Tyson, Frazier and even Marciano.
          Does Ali happen to be your example of a tall fighter, by any chance? He does not even count, since he was a bit more than just a tall fighter.

Cleveland Williams was 6'3". He did not give Liston any big trouble that I remember, just tested his beard fine.

If you know something, then out with it. Otherwise, back slowly into your cave.

Eddie Machen is a guy Sonny could only decision, but he was a mere 6 footer. Everyone else was being clubbed out in rapid succession by Sonny.

No fighter seems to have given Liston any trouble before he met up with Clay/Ali. You made it up, or are attempting a weird, unsuccessful joke. Back slowly into your cave.

Early in his career Liston was tested a few times by Marty Marshall, who managed a SD win in one encounter, lost another by UD and was KO'd in yet another. Marshall was only 6'1", essentially Liston's own height. This was not a tall fighter, either. You lose.
          Last edited by The Old LefHook; 11-25-2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Krucial View Post
            foreman was liston's protege, that wouldve been a crazy fight to watch.

i dont think holyfield would have beat liston, u literally had to avoid contact to last in a fight with him, like Ali did. holyfield is decent at defense, but his defense is different. he invites contact in his defense and liston wouldve hit him all over.

liston vs tyson is interesting though. im not sure who wins that, but im aiming towards mike tyson smothering liston-getting inside his reach and lighting up combos. being quicker.
            Good insights. Holyfield beat up a lot of bigger guys because of his activity level, he would not be able to do that prime Liston because Sonny did not gas very easily and could fight a full round...indeed Holy would have to take a lot before he ever got close enough to threaten Sonny.

Tyson would be interesting. prime Tyson was great at closing the gap, and Liston was great at maintaining his range... who has the better day lol? Liston was also great at using his size against smaller men and Tyson could get tired out...we saw this in both Razor Rudock fights where the later parts of the fight were a nightmare for Tyson. With Liston's whiskers its a hard one to call.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              Does Ali happen to be your example of a tall fighter, by any chance? He does not even count, since he was a bit more than just a tall fighter.

Cleveland Williams was 6'3". He did not give Liston any big trouble that I remember, just tested his beard fine.

If you know something, then out with it. Otherwise, back slowly into your cave.

Eddie Machen is a guy Sonny could only decision, but he was a mere 6 footer. Everyone else was being clubbed out in rapid succession by Sonny.

No fighter seems to have given Liston any trouble before he met up with Clay/Ali. You made it up, or are attempting a weird, unsuccessful joke. Back slowly into your cave.

Early in his career Liston was tested a few times by Marty Marshall, who managed a SD win in one encounter, lost another by UD and was KO'd in yet another. Marshall was only 6'1", essentially Liston's own height. This was not a tall fighter, either. You lose.
              As far as I recall, the only fighters that ever gave Liston difficulties were "slick" fighters like Ali and Machen.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Good insights. Holyfield beat up a lot of bigger guys because of his activity level, he would not be able to do that prime Liston because Sonny did not gas very easily and could fight a full round...indeed Holy would have to take a lot before he ever got close enough to threaten Sonny.

Tyson would be interesting. prime Tyson was great at closing the gap, and Liston was great at maintaining his range... who has the better day lol? Liston was also great at using his size against smaller men and Tyson could get tired out...we saw this in both Razor Rudock fights where the later parts of the fight were a nightmare for Tyson. With Liston's whiskers its a hard one to call.
                ur right, i may lean toward liston against mike, thats truly a hard one to call. like u said, who has the better day?

Comment

As I told you before, I don't dialogue with Dr. Kananga fools like you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myc6HpJzgaU

However, just for the record, when Liston was preparing to fight Ali, he sparred with Ernie Terrell who gave Sonny fits. It was then that I learned Sonny had problem with tall fighters who fought tall unlike Cleveland Williams.

P.S. Are you inviting your friends over as usual on a Saturday night to have a circle jerk over the number of your posts?

Comment

Oh look another ****tard alt. Batt, you want to key up the section ban?

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
                      If Liston were around during the late 80's, 90's era of HW when Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, etc. were around how do you think he would do? Do you think he can be dominant and potentially beat all of them? Or will he have some losses along the way?
                      Sonny would have smashed & broke bread with me after.

Comment

Working...
                      X