Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
    Good points, I agree with all.

I'd also like to add one for both.

Chavez Jr. needs to CUT THE RING OFF, and not just follow Martinez around, don't give him anywhere to go.

Martinez needs to stay consistently active, no lulls of inactivity for periods of rounds or entire rounds themselves... Chavez will be working the whole time, Martinez can lose rounds quickly by doing this.
    See, I don't know if that is true. I understand the whole "effective aggressiveness" but something inside of me tells me that Chavez is going to be fighting the up hill fight.

Judges are weird that way, sometimes the aggressive fighter get's the benefit of the doubt, sometimes they like the slicker guy. I think because Martinez is the bigger name, they will give him some rounds early on if he can land just one or two big shots per round.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
      See, I don't know if that is true. I understand the whole "effective aggressiveness" but something inside of me tells me that Chavez is going to be fighting the up hill fight.
      I think it is, Jr. will be throwin shots, and Martinez goes lapses without throwing, it's hard to give him rounds sometimes, he did this against Williams.

I think because Martinez is the bigger name, they will give him some rounds early on if he can land just one or two big shots per round.
      Like Manny Pacquiao?

Comment

I think it is, Jr. will be throwin shots, and Martinez goes lapses without throwing, it's hard to give him rounds sometimes, he did this against Williams.

Like Manny Pacquiao?
        Yea, kind of like Pac...unfortunately.

Comment

Yea, kind of like Pac...unfortunately.
          The whole "name" thing didn't really work out for him though, eh?
          Last edited by THE REED; 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

The whole "name" thing didn't really work out for him though, eh?
            Well, if you are talking about Pac vs JMM (because that's what I was referring to) then I disagree.

If you are talking about the robbery that was Pac vs Bradley, then that was just plain and simple a travesty to the sport of boxing.

Comment

If you are talking about the robbery that was Pac vs Bradley, then that was just plain and simple a travesty to the sport of boxing.
              Yet it's still a valid point... one of the biggest names in the sport didn't get the benefit of the doubt. Martinez' relying on his name to be given rounds from a few big shots isn't smart, he needs to stay consistent all 12 rounds.

Comment

I can't see Chavez Jr. eating Martinez's power shots all night and not get hurt. He's getting stopped.
                Last edited by El Angel; 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM.

Comment

A lot of times fans get way too deep into what needs to be done in boxing and sometimes it's just not rocket science. When you have to fighter of identical styles, I believe that's when game plans make a bigger difference and come into play more by the trainer.

In a fight like this one, it's easy to see what each fighter wants to do. Chavez get on the inside, Martinez stay on the outside and box, but I have outlined some things that need to be done by each fighter to come away with the victory.

Keys for Chavez Jr:

1 - He needs to move his head. Against Andy Lee he showed some signs of that but then said his legs cramped on him. He needs to keep his head moving at all times when he comes in and when he finishes his combinations. He should study some fights of his father ironically and copy him.

2 - Use his gloves. Slick, quicker fighters use slips, bob's and weave's to avoid shots but that's not Chavez' strength. He needs to catch the jab more importantly and the hooks and uppercuts on the inside to take less punishment possible in this fight.

3 - Conditioning. Obviously pressure is the key for him but that takes a ton of endurance for 12 rounds so Chavez has to come in the best shape of his life. He has to be relentless against Martinez, constantly moving forward and throwing tons of punches. No more coming in over weight, or losing 20lbs 3 days before weigh in, he has to come almost at weight IMO 1 week prior to the fight.

Keys for Martinez:

1 - Use your legs. Legs are what gets you in and out of distance and sets up your defense and offense. His legs didn't look the same as we are used to in his last fight, he has to do better. Keep moving, keep Chavez chasing and use that jab and super fast left hand to keep him thinking but legs are the key for him.

2 - Distance. Distance is something that is rarely taught anymore in boxing IMO. It can mean the difference between landing a punch or avoiding one. He needs to keep Chavez at proper distance the whole fight, frustrate him and keep him at the end of his shots where the power is.

3 - Hold intelligently. Not hold for survival but hold in a smart way when Chavez does make his way inside. Watch some film of Mayweather Jr or Carlos Molina, two fighter who use clinching on the inside to intelligently and effectively. Hook a glove on the opposite side of the ref, throw your combo and then grab as you take an angle.

If these guys can impose these things, I think they win.

What do you guys think?
                  good psot. agree with your points.

whats crazy is a year ago this fight would've been laughed at. Now its close to a 50/50 fight.

Comment

Yet it's still a valid point... one of the biggest names in the sport didn't get the benefit of the doubt. Martinez' relying on his name to be given rounds from a few big shots isn't smart, he needs to stay consistent all 12 rounds.
                    I see your point, but I don't think the circumstances were "regular". When was the last time the bigger draw, who was the champ, (especially in Vegas), got such a bad decsison?

Whitaker/Ramirez maybe.

Comment

Reed, perception vs reality my friend. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying because that's obvious but I think if Martinez pot shots him from the outside, I can see the judges being influenced by that.

IDK, just a thought of mine because of the difference in styles.

Comment

Working...
                      X