No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO's Doors Remain Wide Open To All Promoters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Good Boy View Post
    How could people even think its a good move to try and black list GBP? are ppl even boxing fans on here.

I could see them being sour at Floyd but to attack the promoter and the whole stable because of it makes little sense. i want the best fights on hbo, just sucks because i mainly pay for hbo for boxing
    Cause they figure, they're not getting much out of it. They only got Broner, Thurman and Hopkins, and 2 of those are mostly in showcase fights still. They probably figure, we'll build these 2 guys up and they'll take them to Showtime.

Remember how Showtime used to show good fights, mostly from B grade promoters? Now imagine HBO does the same, but with a much bigger budget. They'll miss out on some GBP guys, but that was happening anyway.

Comment

• Yes it's a lot of money but it's -nothing- compared to what they would/could make if fighters fought on their regular channel (i.e. non-PPV) in order to entice new subscriptions and maintain current ones. You should read Ross Greenburg's thoughts on PPV and the changing climate in boxing.

http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...-the-challenge

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
      HBO makes a ****LOAD of money off of their PPV's what are you talking about? Why do you think they dedicate 24/7 etc... to them? To get the buys up which means more money. 1.5 million buys is close to 100 million dollars IDC how much you are worth you make 50 mil in a day and you are ecstatic that is on top of the 300 million a year you make off of subscriptions (minimum.) They had at least 3 big PPV's a year on average that would be 75-100 million a year a third of their subscription base or the equivalent of getting 10 million new subscribers each year. Losing Floyd hurts, but now Showtime is over spending badly, because sure they have a solid stable of fighters but they came with 1 or 2k ticket buys and 7 figure paydays. That's hoping for A LOT of new subscribers.

Comment

• Dude, give it up, this was covered from day 1 by every major media outlet and the consensus reporting, repeatedly, was that HBO was *done* with GBP. It was a stunning announcement, a total game changer, and yet in the wake of all these reports and discussions, NO refutations, no clarifications, NOTHING from HBO. Until the weekend when we saw new statements saying HBO would work with any promoter - really? So you're saying HBO just randomly decided to drop a bombshell on Monday then Saturday say 'Ugh, just kidding, we'll work with any promoter.' And that's not a backtrack? LMAO.

Originally posted by jso416 View Post
        I'll ask you again.. Where in the comment does Herschman specifically say he would NEVER again field calls from GBP??.. It's not a very hard question.

And I never said I interpret his comment as "Hey GBP, call us".. I take it more as "Hey if they want to call us we're willing to listen, but we certainly don't need them."

Comment

• Originally posted by controlmachete View Post
          Its a percentage of the ppv buys, only a moron would deny that floyd sells more ppvs than any other elite fighter, hence he makes more than they invest, thats a fact.. Do you really want to debate that?
          Duh..
          There's nothing in what you've just said which says that they make more than they invest. This is flawed 'logic" in fact just not logic at all. You have no idea of what their expenses may be, which is the very first thing you need to know. And nobody knows that except themselves, their accountants and the IRS.

It could easily be a "lost leader", meaning to deliverately lose money on an attraction in the epectation of bringing more business in for the other products to more tha=n make up for the loss. Supermarkets dO it regularly, daily.

Comment

• this move should teach GBP a lesson.. which is.. No matter how much talent they got in their stable They dont RUN BOXING!

Comment

Working...
            X