Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 17099 Post(s)
Motorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 55,876.39
always dropping hot boxing news first - Sup Do your thang m8 - Canelo and GGG for exposing (((them))) - Sup Nobody cared when you were banned because nobody likes you - Arthur Dayne Good effort!!! - MDPopescu 
Rock on brother - siablo14 splitting your mommy clean in two - //// clown - apples Because you can't keep our white dlcks out of your mouth - !nternation Thanks for the help - 1bad65 
for keeping us informed...thanks for your efforts - jazluvr to celebrate the life of Roy Hargrove - jazluvr 
Default Cinnamon Stacks: How Canelo Cashed In or, all the financial details no one's telling

by Gabe Oppenheim

Quote:
A friend of mine who works for Goldman Sachs texted me minutes ago -- being bombarded by the queries of fellow finance people, he wanted to know how the hell DAZN -- a brand I insist rhymes with chazan no matter how many times I'm told otherwise -- had made Canelo Alvarez the highest-paid athlete in the world.

You might have heard about the $365-million, 10-fight contract he signed last night while wearing an $890 Givenchy sweatshirt.

The answer is basically two-fold.

One, DAZN isn't new -- it has been operating as a sports Netflix across the world for a few years now and is a major presence in Germany and Japan especially. Today alone, for instance, on a non-soccer day, here's its stacked sports lineup in Deutschland:

It's showing live feeds of the NFL Network and the MLB Network and NBC's Golf channel; the Kremlin Cup women's tennis tournament; the Luxembourg Open women's tennis tournament; German league basketball; both MLB playoff games (Brewers-Dodgers and Red Sox-Astros); and, finally, the Houston Rockets versus the New Orleans Pelicans -- because even in Germany, they wanna see the Beard face the Unibrow.

Again, that's just one day in one country for a streaming service that already pervades several others. Practically the only market England-based DAZN doesn't care about, ironically, is England's -- because the rights to air football and rugby are too damn high (not the rent, though).

The glut of global subscriptions -- excluding the US market, which it only just entered -- has taken the company's consumer streaming revenue from $12 million to $118 million.

This is where the second part of the answer kicks in -- that money is hardly a drop in DAZN's parent company's bucket -- Perform Group took in $577 million in revenue last year -- a half-billion freaking dollars.

Where'd it come from? Ah, that's the Haagen-Dazn secret. The streaming service sells sports info to viewers like you. But the big money Perform makes comes from selling sports info and action to leagues and teams and networks.

The company was not originally consumer-faced: It was all business-to-business.

It sold info on soccer players' pitch movements to teams, it distributed NFL games to non-American channels, it provided video to sports gambling operations (which is a huge hustle elsewhere and will be here, too, soon enough).

The twist today isn't that Canelo is receiving all this money -- the twist is that the money is coming from soccer leagues and betting parlors and international executives who ply non-Americans with American football.

Canelo is rich because Khalil Mack can tackle and, in so doing, entertain.

But that's not even the full twist: Perform's owner is Len Blavatnik, the Russian oligarch-turned-exile whose outlandish purchasing ability requires a whole other article (it might be easier to list what he can't or hasn't yet acquired).

Blavatnik bought Perform for $900 million four years ago. At the time, the idea that there could be a Netflix for sports was very new and very untested and it's unclear whether creating said service was even Blavatnik's initial goal. He might have wanted to continue selling only to business.

But once the new consumer strategy was hatched, Blavatnik went on a tear, buying global sports rights by loaning the company $700 million from his own pockets.

More recently, he hired ESPN's former head John Skipper to run his ship (dumb pun intended) -- and Skipper's longtime motto, when it comes to buying up airing rights, is: "You have to build a deeper moat."

Now -- surprise! -- the Netflix of sports seems to Blavatnik a company of the future while the B2B venture seems one of the past. So B2B is getting chucked.

Canelo getting gelt is part of that shift. His contract is lucrative to fulfill a higher mission: Blavatnik now wants to make his loaned money back.

And so he is at this very moment working with UBS bankers to separate DAZN from Perform and to retain the former company while selling the latter.

And you know how you jack up the value of the company you're keeping? Splash across the news that DAZN has the highest-paid athlete in the world, that it's a giant in the OTT world of TV -- that is has become the Netflix of sports it was founded to be.

The better Canelo looks today -- in every sense of the word -- the better the company Blavatnik will get, since he's already decided which of two to keep.

No pressure, but in one sense, Blavatnik, the wealthiest man in Britain, is betting on today's proceedings -- on the Cinnamon Freckle Face who twice fought GGG.

It's a bigger bet than Floyd Mayweather or 50 Cent has ever laid down or been able to (although who among the sly trio manages to pay the least in taxes is up for debate).

So to answer your questions and that of my Goldman friend: All this money came out of an oligarch's pocket who first made it in post-Soviet mining operations. Now, he wants it back.

Let the games begin.
[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
Motorcity Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-17-2018, 07:51 PM #2
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 11293 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,119.32
Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc 
Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 
Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder LOL - Tony Trick-Pony 

Interesting read. Kinda strengthens my thoughts that they're not getting their investment back out of Canelo. But, props to red for finding someone to shell out that kinda money. What a score.
Redd Foxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

Motorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond reputeMotorcity Cobra has a reputation beyond repute
always dropping hot boxing news first - Sup Do your thang m8 - Canelo and GGG for exposing (((them))) - Sup Nobody cared when you were banned because nobody likes you - Arthur Dayne Good effort!!! - MDPopescu 
Rock on brother - siablo14 splitting your mommy clean in two - //// clown - apples Because you can't keep our white dlcks out of your mouth - !nternation Thanks for the help - 1bad65 
for keeping us informed...thanks for your efforts - jazluvr to celebrate the life of Roy Hargrove - jazluvr 

Eff Pandas
Old 10-17-2018, 08:07 PM #4
Ignore List Champion

Quoted: 16877 Post(s)
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,365.65
Total Points: 52,279.91
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 

Idk what to make of this article. Not sure what they are trying to say.

Of course this guy is taking risks & of course he's gonna wanna get paid at some future date. Will they? Who knows. I contend this live sports streaming thing & streaming in general is still in its t^tty sucking stage. This is a long game that won't be decided fully for a decade or two well past when Canelo's career has ended or at least past his prime. I suspect even if he fails to become the #1 live sports streaming platform he'll be able to get bought out by the people that do become the #1 live sports streaming platform (or a serious competitor for that #1 spot) to re-coup some of his losses if not insure a profit despite coming up short.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:23 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
sunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,563.14
Eddie's bitch - DramaShow- Eddie's bitch - DramaShow- Eddie's bitch - DramaShow- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
Interesting read. Kinda strengthens my thoughts that they're not getting their investment back out of Canelo. But, props to red for finding someone to shell out that kinda money. What a score.
I wouldn't be so sure, I think Canelo will take them a long way to achieving their subscriber goals, plus I think this will have a domino effect with a lot of top level fighters, so the content will grow and improve.

Think about it like this once they hit 2 million subscribers they are pretty much on there way. That's $20 million a month in turnover, and I don't think 2 million is a huge target in the short term. To put things in perspective Netflix has over 57 million subscribers in the US.
sunny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny31 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure, I think Canelo will take them a long way to achieving their subscriber goals, plus I think this will have a domino effect with a lot of top level fighters, so the content will grow and improve.

Think about it like this once they hit 2 million subscribers they are pretty much on there way. That's $20 million a month in turnover, and I don't think 2 million is a huge target in the short term. To put things in perspective Netflix has over 57 million subscribers in the US.
ESPN plus just hit 1 million paid subs and ESPN is the biggest name in sports broadcasting
Old 10-17-2018, 08:32 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
MasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond reputeMasterPlan has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,726.51

I think they have a long way to go, especially in the US market. I follow them on FB. They have a little under 7,000 followers as of today since the Canelo news broke. The US market doesn't go towards things they're not used too.

And the head of their DAZN USA is a Mexican who can't speak English. So Canelo can't go on talk shows and SportsCenter etc pushing the product.

We will see in the next coming months.
MasterPlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
sunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond reputesunny31 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,563.14
Eddie's bitch - DramaShow- Eddie's bitch - DramaShow- Eddie's bitch - DramaShow- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
ESPN plus just hit 1 million paid subs and ESPN is the biggest name in sports broadcasting
They've been going 6 months, and in fairness it's marketed as an add on and much of the content feels that way, apart from the documentaries etc.

They also don't have Canelo...or let's say a bonafide ppv star, you add Joshua, Usyk and quite a few who will probably now join, I reiterate my first point, I don't think they'll struggle to hit their targets.

But I'm sure both platforms will do well, and currently are doing well.

I just have a feeling DAZN are about to get a bunch of star fighters.
sunny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:52 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny31 View Post
They've been going 6 months, and in fairness it's marketed as an add on and much of the content feels that way, apart from the documentaries etc.

They also don't have Canelo...or let's say a bonafide ppv star, you add Joshua, Usyk and quite a few who will probably now join, I reiterate my first point, I don't think they'll struggle to hit their targets.

But I'm sure both platforms will do well, and currently are doing well.

I just have a feeling DAZN are about to get a bunch of star fighters.
It's ESPN....The name in sports......

What star fighters are out there? You got Canelo and then......??
Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
The Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 33,179.00
respect. - mellow_mood you deserve a metal for defending the woman beater, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest always a good poster. have a beer. - jreckoning \m/ - Kenny MF Powers thanks brother - mrpain81 
great easy logical advice you gave for others on the thunderdome for trolls like me, lol, everything you stated i have stated to many people but few people would take mind of what you wrote, lol, excellent post, plain  logic to keep your composure fo - Tha_Greatest No Message - mathed thatll be 5$ - sugarsmosley 

That is interesting, and it is an interesting bet.

That is a good backer to have, although if England is too pricey to really play in the US is even more so I don't get the play in the US it seems like a way to lose money.

There are a lot of US sports so I don't see the need to create more content and if the focus should be elsewhere to really make money like Germany and Japan any action in the US seems like a drain of time and resources

Last edited by The Gambler1981; 10-17-2018 at 08:59 PM.
The Gambler1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
canelo, cashed, cinnamon, details, financial, one's, stacks:, telling

User Tag List